Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Speed Run Battle - Session #1

Speed Run Battle is a competetive speed running session designed to promote single player speed demo recording in a competetive team vs. team environment. Two teams will compete for the shortest time to complete seven (7) levels from a pistol start under the traditional Compet-N rules announced in the particular session. The players' time for each level will be added up and averaged out for their team to the nearest hundredth of a second. The team with the shortest average for the map is the winner for that map. Best 4 out of 7 wins the competition!

-- HOW DO I BEGIN? --

Players can volunteer to be a part of the speed running pool or a team captain (if captain, include desired team). For this particular session, the position slots are a first-come-first-serve basis*. After a coin toss by me, the captains will choose a player from the speedrunning pool, one after the other, one player per post, to be assigned to their team. Once the teams are selected, I will announce the map numbers chosen from the megawad (with sufficient notice of the announcement beforehand) that must be recorded. All speedrunners and Captains can then begin recording their demos and submit them during the alotted time to me via Private Message titled "SRB#{SessionNumber}: {WadFilename} {MapNumber}" (i.e. "SRB#1: DOOM2.WAD MAP01")

* This is not be the precedent for all Speed Running Battles and can be negotiated for future sessions on this thread if need be.

-- WHAT ARE THE RULES? --

All Speedrunners and their Captains must record a demo of themselves playing the levels selected for the SRB session from a pistol start, and follow the traditional Compet-N rules assigned. Demos must be recorded after the map numbers are announced, and may not be demos the player had recorded in the prior to the session. Demos must be recorded on a functional demo recording source port and submitted to the session holder via Private Message within the alotted time of the session. A demo may be disqualified if it desyncs or doesn't follow the rules correctly. The par time for the map multiplied by two will be the player's time if he/she fails to submit a demo in time or is disqualified. A 10 second penalty may be added to your time if a minor rule is broken.

Rules are subject to be amended over time, and may be changed for each session.

This session's wad will be...

Doom 2: Hell on Earth - DOOM2.WAD

-Captains-

Team Phobos: (OPEN)
Team Deimos: {OPEN)

-Speedrunners-

1. sgt dopey
2. Rizera
3. Ancalgon
4. termrork
5. Adun
6. Looper

phob-Cpt: (OPEN)
phob-SR1: (OPEN)
phob-SR2: (OPEN)
phob-SR3: (OPEN)

deim-Cpt: (OPEN)
deim-SR1: (OPEN)
deim-SR2: (OPEN)
deim-SR3: (OPEN)

Good luck with this, good to see you decided to start it but I won't be joining in this one I'm afraid. I was going to ask if Chocolate Doom would be acceptable but C-N rules.

40oz said:

and follow the traditional Compet-N rules assigned... Demos must be recorded on a functional demo recording source port

oops I guess those two lines contradict each other huh? What do you suggest?

ahah sadly Its best if I dont partecipate here. under doom2.wad im rather noob, and I dont know all the secrets in several maps.

goodluck tho! in case you will repeat this with new wads or different ones

40oz said:

oops I guess those two lines contradict each other huh? What do you suggest?

I think there will be more interest if prboom is allowed. Dosbox mouse feels very different (almost laggy?) to me, so the result will be uglier and take more work. I did a few Compet-N submissions, but I got frustrated with how shitty the control was in vanilla under dosbox.

Is it just UV-maxes or is there many categories included?
How long will this whole battle take? All seven maps in 1 day, 7 days, month or what? :P

Eh, I'll probably pass. Doom2 isn't my thing, besides you have already good enough times at c-n so why bother.

Yeah, this could be a way to drum up new routes and demos on underplayed wads, which would probably be more interesting for all involved. Allowing PrBoom+ also opens this up to more people.

also I agree with that should get some underplayed wads for this, as it feels pointless to do a doom2 demo if you are not going to be faster than those improved and overimproved records

I just figured I'd do Doom 2: Hell on Earth to kickoff the first session; I had 1KILLTNG.wad as a close second. I can definitely think of a bunch of underplayed wads that would make good contenders. The next session may be seven different single level pwads instead of maps from a megawad. I'm also contemplating running a speedmapping session for Speed Run Battle so mappers can be involved as well.

It can be UV-Maxes, but sometimes it may be UV-fast or UV-Speed or even NM-speed, depending on how cruel I'm feeling. It will be announced after the teams are assembled. The contenders will have 12 hours to submit all seven of their demos. After the teams are assembled there will be fair warning (about three days in advance) of when the clock starts, and the maps that are to be speedrunned are announced. Does that sound like a reasonable amount of time?

I'm thinking Doom.exe, Dosbox, Doom95, Doom2+, prboom, and prboom-plus will be the permitted source ports. Does that sound fair? are any of these considered Tool assisting platforms and am I isolating anyone from using another perfectly fair source port?

Also I don't object to teammembers communicating with each other via PM's or some other method of communication, (IRC, Skype, any other instant messenger) discussing best routes and where all the secrets are and whatever, just don't post about it in this thread where the opposing team can read it!

BTW any volunteers for captains?

PrBoom+ is the best source port right now both for demo recording in a comfortable environment and for making TAS demos. Use of slow-mo is usually pretty easy to spot but re-recording is much more difficult, so we pretty much have to use the honour system here. Note that even if you disallowed PrBoom+ people could still technically use it without giving themselves away.

If the contest was to record one decent speedrun (or two speed-speedruns) in 2-3 hours then I'd be able to take part. I'll never have the energy or time for 12 consecutive hours of a challenge like this.

Count me in :-D

And I think chocolate doom (and CNdoom) should be allowed too :)

Oh, I wanted to participate, but I see that it's full already :)
it does not matter, I'll wait for the second battle ^^

Theres still two open slots for captains; if anyone wants to volunteer or switch over

Even though some people have criticized the wad decision, I think that it is a very cool one for a starter, and I'll tell you why. "Almost" every record is really hard worked and beaten several times by several players, so people really shy away from trying them. This is a chance for a lot of players to try and maybe beat them.

Looper, for example, is participating, and he already holds 3 C-N max records if i'm not wrong. j4rio also has a couple of records. Not only that, but some maps are very hard to max in a good time (e.g: MAP08, MAP09, MAP11, MAP15, MAP29, just to name a few). Same goes for NM-speeding.

To sum up, of course I do think that we should focus on some underwated/underplayed wads, but I also think that Doom2 is one that should really be played more.

Also, any idea of dates so far?

Hi 40oz,

Given the team aspect, any thoughts on having a 4 player coop round that also goes to the average? Maybe drop back to 2 individual rounds for each map so teams can pick their best player(fastest in practice etc) for each map and then all-in for the 3rd round where everyone can contribute to a much faster time overall with teamwork key to good times.

I can't participate if the battle is going 24th-28th this month. Thought this battle was going to be over last weekend :P

Just jumping in to ask; does it really matter if you dont manage to beat any C-N records? Its all about beating the other team, isnt it?

yep why just beat c-n records when there are better prboom records =P, now seriously, rule is just beat the other team

This sounds like an awesome idea. I'd like to participate in the interest of keeping this thing going even though my speedrunning skills aren't really up to snuff. I prefer recording in PrBoom+ so this is right up my alley. If you have a shortage of captains I don't mind stepping in but I'd rather leave that role to the more prominent/active guys here.

Hey there, a new guy here. I am currently looking for a friendly competition in prboom+ but I would much rather speedrun in a WAD outside of the original DooM 1 and 2. If someone wants to join me in a challenge of sorts on a map selected by a random third-party person, let me know! I'll start a new thread if necessary.

darkreaver said:

Just jumping in to ask; does it really matter if you dont manage to beat any C-N records? Its all about beating the other team, isnt it?

Yes, this is strictly about competing with the opposing team. Any historical demos are completely irrelevant and you don't need any sort of speedrunning background to participate.

Looper said:

I can't participate if the battle is going 24th-28th this month. Thought this battle was going to be over last weekend :P

I thought so too. I think we might need to get a few sessions going for this idea to pick up steam. Should I shorten the teams for this particular session? Also anyone wanna be a captain?

Is the team captain allowed to speedrun too because there's only 6 slots for the speedrunners? And I still can't see my name on the -Speedrunners- list! I guess you missed my "Count me in".