Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Springy

BFG Edition uncensoring guide.

First of all, this was NOT written by me. Duncan Donuts is the man who wrote this on steam so big ups and thanks to him and the creator of the batch files. I thought it was best to link it here for people who probably haven't seen it as the batch files are buried somewhere in the forums and probably forgotten about (I was informed that they were posted here by Duncan).

Uncensoring the game
First, download the patching program at http://www.mediafire.com/?bv0rmbv2j6d2n75. Unzip it.

When that's done, go to your base Doom 3 BFG Edition folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3 BFG Editon). After getting there, go to the "base" folder, then click on the "wads" folder. Copy and paste "DOOM.WAD" and "DOOM2.WAD".

Now, go back to the folder where you unzipped the file you downloaded earlier. When you're there, paste the files you copied earlier. If you want to uncensor Doom 1, click on "doom1.bat". If you want to uncensor Doom 2, click on "doom2.bat".

After you've clicked on what you want, the program will create a file named "doom2cen.wad" or "udoomcen.wad", depending of what game you want to uncensor. Now you'll have to rename the game files to make them work. For Doom 1, rename "udoomcen.wad" to "DOOM.WAD". For Doom 2, rename "doom2cen.wad" to "DOOM2.WAD".
What to do with your uncensored game
Congrats! You've uncensored Doom 1 or 2, but now you need to make it playable.

If you want want to play the uncensored games with vanilla Doom 3 BFG edition, copy the uncensored games, then go back to your Doom 3 BFG Edition folder. Click on "base", then click on 'wads". When you're there, rename the original Doom games already there (DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD) so they won't be overwritten, then paste the uncensored games. Now, start Doom 3 BFG Edition and select Doom 1 or 2, then play!

Modern Doom source ports
Getting the versions of Doom 1 and 2 included with Doom 3 BFG to work with modern Doom source ports is easy. Here's a quick guide to get the BFG editions of Doom 1 and 2 working with your favorite source port.
ZDoom and GZDoom
First, download the latest version of http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/ or http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom/. Then, unzip the file you downloaded wherever you want. After that, start the game and it should show the BFG editions of Doom 1 and 2 for play! Easy.
Other ports
Before we start, I recommend getting the latest version of your source port of choice. Earlier versions do not have support for the BFG editions of Doom 1 and 2.

First, go to your base Doom 3 BFG Edition folder (C:\\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common/doom 3 bfg edition). When you're there, look for the “base” folder and open it. From there, look for “DOOM.WAD” or “DOOM2.WAD”. Copy whichever ones you want.

Now, go to the folder where your source port of choice is. After getting there, paste the files you copied into the folder that has your source port of choice. Now, start the game and it'll work just fine.
Doom 2 issues
The BFG version of Doom 2 has a missing piece of code that makes it impossible to run on some source port. Most modern ports (GZDoom, Doomsday, Odamex, Zdaemon, Chocolate Doom) have ways to get around this, but with some, like (prBoom), you'll need to fix it manually.

Doing this is easy. Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?r31hb2e0ri24e7q and download the file. Unzip it.

Now, do the steps above. Now, before you start the game, drag the “d2ttlepic.wad” file to the engine .exe and drop it. Start the game, and it should work just fine.

NOTE: If this shouldn't be posted because it violates something, then please remove.

Did anyone make a patch that fixes No Rest for the Living so that the music is played in the right order, the secret exit works and it ends after map 8? I know source ports fix it, but I want it the BFG Edition exe.

Because achievements.

Captain Red said:

Did anyone make a patch that fixes No Rest for the Living so that the music is played in the right order, the secret exit works and it ends after map 8? I know source ports fix it, but I want it the BFG Edition exe.

Because achievements.

That I am unsure of. I'll do some searching when I get home.

I am pretty sure that's not going to be possible. Then again if it does this little integrity checking, to the point you can modify the IWADs without disabling achievements, then I wouldn't be half surprised if you could modify the EXE file too.

The secret exit does work and it does end after level 8...was this broken at launch or something? I just played through and they were fine. The only issue I noticed is that the "entering" screen for MAP09 was shown before the end text.

Chances are all you have to do for music is copy the tracks into nerve.wad and rename them.

Also I would like to note that Eternity will find your BFG IWAD just fine without copying it anywhere. I didn't throw a thousand lines of code at being able to do that just for it to get perpetually ignored.

Quasar said:

Also I would like to note that Eternity will find your BFG IWAD just fine without copying it anywhere. I didn't throw a thousand lines of code at being able to do that just for it to get perpetually ignored.

Excellent stuff! I have the latest but haven't tested it out yet. I noticed my copy of GZDoom also does this.

Quasar said:

Heh, yikes. Is it in different places on different boxes? Not always in C:\%PROGRAMFILES%\steam\steamapps\common\Doom 3 BFG Editon? What special stuff do you have to do to find it? (just curious).

printz said:

This is not about Doom 3...

Correct, it's related to BFG Edition however; which is in turn a version of Doom 3 that has an option of selecting which game to play at the menu of Doom 3 BFG Edition.

I expected this to be about the Doom 3 part of the BFG edition, though. Like something to reinstall all the arcade games removed and replaced by copies of STTP3 in ROE...

kb1 said:

Not always in C:\%PROGRAMFILES%\steam\steamapps\common\

Steam itself is not necessarily installed in Program Files. You have to query a registry value to find where it is. (Which EE of course does, among other ports such as Choco or ZDoom.)

Gez said:

I expected this to be about the Doom 3 part of the BFG edition, though. Like something to reinstall all the arcade games removed and replaced by copies of STTP3 in ROE...

Steam itself is not necessarily installed in Program Files. You have to query a registry value to find where it is. (Which EE of course does, among other ports such as Choco or ZDoom.)

Yup.

For those interested in the technicals:

The particular relevant path is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Valve\Steam" and the key under that path is InstallPath, of type REG_SZ. After you get that path, you can append the various known game install paths to it (ie. "steamapps\common\doom 2\base", "steamapps\common\DOOM 3 BFG Edition\base\wads", etc.).