Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

i download them and listen to them from my mp3 player on the way to work and such.

st.alfonzo said:

Here's a quick inquiry for those who listen to these podcasts on a regular basis: how many of you wait for the show to crop up on doomradio.org? We're taking a look at the download ratings and while they're pretty low for the most part we're banking on the fact that most will find it more senisble to stream them over at the site.

I download but I sometimes don't get around to it for some time after the link is up.

Episode 10 is the first arbitrary milestone episode for Program B, and we celebrate with a discussion on project leadership and management with The Green Herring (CC4, CC3) and Esselfortium (That terrible mapset. Oh you know, the one that's about going backwards in an X shaped Saturn or something). Although the episode is cut short due to Tarnsman unexpectedly being recruited to haul a TV through a building, some great measure of discussion is had on the merits of being a project leader, and all that comes with it. There's also quite a bit of drama and shit-flinging.

Enjoy! And remember: "It just isn't the same without Glaber Base 6."

>> Download << [60 mb]

Where's All the Data? episode 4 should have been here days ago. We've notified the technical assistance team and they did nothing but laugh at the irony of poor leadership over the matter when leadership was being discussed on the show.

I had them all fired.

Please don't have a forum drama program b episode. I'd prefer for tango tv to have a more positive theme and I think it would hurt a lot to be singling people out instead of focusing on the positives about Doom and the community around it.

Are you saying this before listening to the episode or after it? There's a fair bit of fecetiousness in Fonz's post.

Xaser said:

There's a fair bit of fecetiousness in Fonz's post.

good old fonz, always the shitposter.

I think someone chimed in at the last couple minutes, not sure who it was, mentioning that they oughta have a discussion about community related drama. I don't know if it holds any water but they didn't say they had an idea and I hope that isn't the topic for the next episode.

40oz said:

I think someone chimed in at the last couple minutes, not sure who it was, mentioning that they oughta have a discussion about community related drama. I don't know if it holds any water but they didn't say they had an idea and I hope that isn't the topic for the next episode.

It was a joke.

40oz said:

Doomworld.com, an active Doom modding community

And non-mappers aren't humans and they don't exist. :(

Memfis said:

They exist but don't count.
Also, cool. Hopefully something comes out of this.

Memfis said:

I wasn't aware that non-mappers didn't play mods.

Antroid said:

They exist but don't count.

mlyp!

well, i just hope this doesn't turn into another romero_noshow type of thing.

I would completely clear my itinerary for an interview date with Tom.

40oz said:

Good news everybody!

I sent a message on facebook to Tom Hall about Tango TV, asking if he'd be interested in popping in for an interview, he said yes!

I call dibs on being the co-interviewer!!

While it's excellent to know that esteemed figures in Doom's history can be roped in for interviews, TTV is a series of programs featuring myself, Tarnsman, MTrop, Tango*, and guests invited onto the show by us, and it's our responsibility to organise everything from the top down. Sure, you can contact other people with the intention of directing them to doomradio, or suggest someone to contact, but you can't be arranging interviews outright and you certainly can't be doing so with the intention of taking part yourself. Going about these sorts of high profile arrangements is especially out of order without contacting anyone at TTV beforehand, as they take a great deal of preparation.

Furthermore, an interview is best conducted with 1 or 2 co-interviewers, and unless you'd like to do a standalone interview outside of TTV (a viable option, by the way: you could do a one man interview that isn't hosted on the site) then we can't omit the presence of either myself or MTrop. TTV was built around the idea that there would be a small group of dedicated interviewers that would hone their skills over time, and while I have no doubt that you'd do a fine job, it's an affront to declare yourself involved at the expense of one of those folk. Unless of course you were simply wishing to be a 3rd interviewer, in which case I'm not sure that would work...

Anyway, it's pretty damn impressive that you've managed to haul in Hall, but I hope you understand that this wasn't the right way to go about it. As a result, you've placed me in the difficult position of having to tell you to forward the discussion to me and then step out of the way, despite the lengths you went to to contact Tom. Unless, again, you'd sooner do the interview yourself!

Heads up for those available this weekend; TTV-pb11 will be a discussion on comments, criticism and feedback, and we're looking for one or two folks to step up to the plate and get involved on Saturday evening! MTrop will most likely be present alongside Tarnsman and myself, so there'll be plenty of banter to dish around. We realize there will probably be a lot of ground already covered in the playtesting discussion held a few months ago, but with some fresh voices and opinions on board we think we can manage something worthwhile. How best do you approach the task of telling someone their map sucks? When does it become a case of "too much praise"? Where do you draw the line when making concessions to other people's feedback? So on, so forth.

Sound good? Alrighty then!

In other news, it appears as though Where's All The Data episode 4, which was to provide reviews for Stardate 20X6 and Monochrome Mapping Project respectively, never materialized in podcast form. Fortuantely, though, we preserved the stream! What joy!

...And here's Jimmy's quality review, incorporating delicately the chords that were selected to summarize the reviews for this month.

st.alfonzo said:

We realize there will probably be a lot of ground already covered in the playtesting discussion held a few months ago

And the project management episode...

I'm sorry it came off like I was taking the show into my own hands. I'm just really excited, and I think you'd be missing a huge opportunity to let the chance to interview Tom slip through the cracks. I'm actually a bit surprised you aren't as open to it.

Well one of the reasons we haven't done a sandy interview yet for example is alfonzo needs to get some stuff fixed like his sound card.

This sounds like an excellent discussion topic; I wish I could join.
In my experience; the best way to go about telling someone their stuff doesn't work is to explain why it doesn't work and offer a solution; also it helps if everyone shares the same vocabulary. As a mapper, too much praise occurs once the feedback stops challenging you. If you begin believing the testers hype wholesale, then you are not growing as a mapper. Drawing the line is a matter of confidence and knowing what you are trying to achieve within the map.
[quote]st.alfonzo said:
Heads up for those available this weekend; [b]TTV-pb11 will be a discussion on comments, criticism and feedback, and we're looking for one or two folks to step up to the plate and get involved on Saturday evening! MTrop will most likely be present alongside Tarnsman and myself, so there'll be plenty of banter to dish around. We realize there will probably be a lot of ground already covered in the playtesting discussion held a few months ago, but with some fresh voices and opinions on board we think we can manage something worthwhile. How best do you approach the task of telling someone their map sucks? When does it become a case of "too much praise"? Where do you draw the line when making concessions to other people's feedback? So on, so forth.

Sound good? Alrighty then!

40oz said:

I'm sorry it came off like I was taking the show into my own hands. I'm just really excited, and I think you'd be missing a huge opportunity to let the chance to interview Tom slip through the cracks. I'm actually a bit surprised you aren't as open to it.

Righto, fair enough. I mean, I'm just as excited at the idea of a Tom Hall interview as the next man, but are you comfortable with the idea of communicating with Tom only to not feature in the interview yourself? If you're not then you can always go at it solo, which is A-ok. If you are, on the other hand, then we need to think about having the discssion forwarded to MTrop and myself so we can seal the arrangement from our end.

We were intending to string together some high profile interviews like this ourselves, but ideally I wanted to have a few things sorted out first, such as my sound card, as Tarnsman pointed out. Occasionally it decides to trip up during a skype call and the computer freezes over for a good few minutes. Having something like that happen during such an interview would be... not good.
That and my microphone/headset. I need a new one!

There's no wiggle room for me? It's hard to get out of my head the idea of being able to speak with him myself on skype on the air. It sounds like a blast and I can think of a ton of questions that aren't answered elsewhere. I really enjoy participating in Tango TV related stuff. If it's an absolute no I guess I'll just be a medium of communication then. :/

It's mostly a case of there being an ideal number of co-interviewers to host a podcast with (that number being one or two. Three people or more makes it a forum for discussion), and the fact that TTV isn't a walk-in where anyone can take up the position of interviewer -- guest, yes, but not a role that the series was designed to foster in three people specifically. Again, though, if you want to have a go at an interview that much then who am I to say no? It's your arrangement, and TTV is just a poorly glorified talkback series*. You'll lose little by not having it appear under its name.

Anyway, seeing as it's intended to be for TTV it's a shame that you didn't approach me or Matt and make a request to interview Tom before you contacted him, otherwise we could have sorted something out...: It's almost a shame that we're trying so hard to function like a semi-professional outfit, making sentences like "sure 40oz, hop aboard!" seem out of the question, but we are. Perhaps if it were a lower profile case then I wouldn't give two tits, but this is pretty damn top shelf and if it's going under the TTV schedule then it demands to be passed on to the resident interviewers.

Having said all this I wouldn't mind hearing other folks' opinion on this matter as well. I haven't had any tea lately and I wouldn't be surprised if it's impairing my better judgement.

*Gone are the days of Tangodom. It's just not the same!

st.alfonzo said:

I wouldn't mind hearing other folks' opinion on this matter as well.

Personally I would rather if Hall was interviewed by just Alfonzo and Tarnsman because of the rapport the two of you have built and because of how comfortable you guys seem to be with holding the interviews.

I can't help but feel sorry for 40oz because he was the one who contacted Hall and got all excited about this but adding a third interviewer makes things messy. People occasionally trip over each other in that confined "one person at a time" audio space and I hate that. Radio shows traditionally stick to the host, co-host and interviewee format because it works.

If this interview does happen I think 40oz deserves high praise but I would rather it was held by just Alfonzo and Tarnsman.

I don't see how anyone making an attempt to contact someone without even consulting the hosts of the show all the sudden has it in their head to nose their way in like that. They already explained that they're well aware that facebook and email addresses exist, that they'd held off on contacting various people before certain things were in place the way they would like them to be.

So someone jumps ahead of them, without consulting them, and then feels all justified to just-- y'know, it really seems rude to me, to be honest.

As a listener to the show I'm against it personally, for whatever that's worth.

ozzy, just interview Tom by yourself, I'm sure you will do a fine job. Maybe by the time you are done with the entire Doom development team, Alfonzo will finally find some money for a new sound card. хd

I've got to say I always thought of the Tango TV host/interviewer setup as being Alfonso plus one. I thought the extra person was rota'd or just whoever was available. This may be because the WAD and Programme B episodes have blurred into one. Unless I'm on my own on this I don't think it would hurt from the listeners perspective for 40oz to interview on TTV because he's somewhat familiar to the show and I think he'd do a good job.

Having said that, I totally agree with Alfonso's points. 3 interviewers would be a crowd and it would be unfair to drop a regular interviewer to accomodate someone new. Plus it becomes a precedent where other community members might think 'cool, this is my chance to interview Romero' and it becomes a free for all.

For the record though, I don't think 40oz was being rude or purposelly trying to edge in. It just seems he got over a little over eager and didn't think it through very thoroughly.

Seele00TextOnly said:

They already explained that they're well aware that facebook and email addresses exist, that they'd held off on contacting various people before certain things were in place the way they would like them to be.

They certainly did not. I've been keeping a close eye on this thread.

Memfis said:

ozzy, just interview Tom by yourself, I'm sure you will do a fine job. Maybe by the time you are done with the entire Doom development team, Alfonzo will finally find some money for a new sound card. хd

I'd like to but it seems kinda ridiculous to rope him in with the Tango TV moniker, using it's credentials, and then when everything's up in order being like "just kidding, your on my show now." (pfff rancid TV anyone?)

I kinda popped up in this thread early on because Doom Radio always seemed like a brilliant idea to me and I wanted to do anything I could to add some steam to this engine, and in doing so I feel like I'm a part of it. It's a little discouraging to know I'm not, but I can respect the need to keep a radio show running under a solid framework instead of just being a get-together with no rules.