Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
peach freak

Skill levels damage question

I was on the Skill Level page on Doomwiki. I noticed that in skill 1, ITYTD, all damage is halved (which I imagine that means you could take just 1/3 of possible damage with a green armor and 1/4 with a blue armor on ITYTD). However, for skills 2-5, no other comments about damage were made.

So does that mean if you're playing on skill 2, HNTR, you will take exactly the same amount of damage that you normally would on say, UV (despite the fact that HTNR is referred to as an "easy skill level" and UV as "hard")? Or are there lower probabilities for higher damage the lower the skill level?

Thanks.

Damage is only halved for ITYTD. It's normal 100% on all other difficulties, I'm assuming due to HNTR-UV being different in terms of monsters spawned in the map when it's loaded.

Probably yes, but I don't know, anyway it is redundant as even if it was 5000, IDDQD wouldn't save you from death when telefragged.

peach freak: It's what MFG38 said, damage on HNTR/HMP/UV/NM doesn't anyhow differ, the only thing that differs is thing/monster placement between HNTR/HMP/UV, and that special Nightmare behaviour (double ammo like ITYTD, fast+respawn monsters, otherwise like UV).

scifista42 said:

Probably yes, but I don't know, anyway it is redundant as even if it was 5000, IDDQD wouldn't save you from death when telefragged.

Which leads to the following interesting point: a monster dehacked to have over 5000/10000 HP, would survive telefragging. Would it and the attacker then remain stuck on the teleporter?

^Exactly why I was asking. I realize that IDDQD only prevents 1000 damage but 5000 would be extremely close to a cyberdemon's health and if for instance a player class were to have 6000 health it might be able to survive telefragging. As for monster telefragging wouldn't the damage remain 10000 no matter what skill level?

http://speedy.sh/bXn9M/survtele.zip

Each of the monsters has 15000 health.

I tested it with PrBoom-plus and Zandronum. In Zandronum the Cyberdemon dies. In PrBoom not, and even on ITYTD. PrBoom also once crashed after I started new game from menu (ITYTD) and went to the teleporter.

EDIT: I'm sorry if you cannot download it, something seems to be with speedyshare, at least for me. Even reuploading didn't help.

peach freak said:

(despite the fact that HTNR is referred to as an "easy skill level" and UV as "hard")

Difficulty doesn't necessarily have to be damage based, for Dooms sake it's monster type and count based.

On skill 1 a telefragged player loses 5000 health, checked with PrBoom+.

(post edited because at first I didn't understand and was checking telefrags inflicted by the player, which are 10000 of course regardless of the skill setting)

Pictorial: [1][2][3][4]

Maes said:

Which leads to the following interesting point: a monster dehacked to have over 5000/10000 HP, would survive telefragging. Would it and the attacker then remain stuck on the teleporter?

Well, it's very easy to have a scenario with 15000 or 20000 health monsters. Don't put them in a place where you can teleport, because it's very awkward when it happens.