Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Let's review!!

Well, I gotta ask: how many of you have ever played the SNES/SNES Emulator version of Doom? How many of you actually liked it? On a scale of 1 to 10, I think it deserves a 6, and I'm being generous about that. I just loaded it up, and played to E1M3, and realized that the grphics, even with the FX Chip, are putrid. The sounds are OK, but they seem to come a split second after you do something (e.g., after you fire your pistol, or open a door). A lot of things have been changed. For instance, in E1M1, near the end, where there are the walls with diagonal slashes, well, they are not there anymore. I've noticed a heck of a lot of other things that are not quite right about SNES/Emulator Doom, but I'll let you say exactly what you think about it.

Oh yeah, and I use ZSNES, since SNES9X doesn't seem to be able to load Doom up at all.

I agree with lut, though if I remember correctly, snes doom was my first real dooming experience. Either that or playing inferno at a friend's house for 2 minutes, i don't remember which came first :P

it sucks compared to the real version, which i own. the emulated version is twice as choppy, and it's almost impossible to play. i'd say 1/10. and that's being generous. they don't even have the fx chip emulated correctly, especially not the fx2 chip.

There are very few textures used correctly, too. I noticed that as I was playing. And another thing, you can't fight three demons without the whole game nearly freezing up and going down to a pathetic 5 FPS. It's just stupid. The real version, choppy and bad-graphic-y as it may be, still shines in comparison to the emulated version.

Doom had a 10mhz Super F/X chip inside. ZSNES is only able to emulate the 5mhz Super F/X chip... that's why the framerate is so bad. I'm pretty sure the ZSNES guys know so I don't know what the hold up is.

Whenever I can play Star Ocean fully translated I'll be happy as hell.

SNES DOOM blew ass mainly because I couldn't get used to using that controller pad for DOOM (only for Super Mario World).