Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Thank You for Brutal Doom!

Last night I found myself on the Doom Wiki, checking something out. While there, I read about something called Brutal Doom and some of its variations versus vanilla/chocolate Doom. "Cool," I though to myself, "I'll have to make a mental note to download it when I get home from work tomorrow."

And I did.

And then life changed forever.

I won't waste your time and this space on the forum talking about all the improvements made. But suffice it to say, it has changed how I perceive Doom. Brutal Doom is how the game should have come, but all's well that ends well (please, no debates on school shootings). I'm in awe. I am literally in awe at the massive undertaking the Brutal Team set out to accomplish and accomplish in spades. If you guys are out there, I want you to know that you have my thanks and my undying respect. Brutal Doom is Awesome. You guys are awesome. Thank you for investing your time and hearts into this endeavor, I for one am deeply grateful!

To those who haven't tried Brutal Doom yet...man. You are missing out. Download it now and fill that empty hole in your life you never knew existed.

I did download Brutal Doom a while ago and personally it's not my cup of tea. I can however respect it for the sheer amount of effort that went into it, along with the nifty gameplay changes and(who can forget) the ridiculously fun fatalities. I'm not quite sure why some people hate it so much, it's a very accomplished piece of work. :/

you'll get over it. one day (or 30 seconds later for some of us) you'll just say to yourself "meh, i'm going back to doom" and that will be it.

mrthejoshmon said:

However some people on the forums despise Brutal Doom, I never knew why though.

Personally, I think Brutal Doom is a decent mod. From technical view I think it's very impressive. The problem I have with it is that people are now playing it instead of Doom, hence they never play the original at all, which IMHO, is just wrong. If I got bored for some reason of the normal game, I might go and play Brutal a bit, but I'd never let myself prefer it over the normal game. What also bothers me is the apparent trend in people letting that happen. I fear that one day, in the far future, the definitive version of Doom is going to be "that one where you blew limbs off demons, and performed fatalities, and excessive amounts of blood went everywhere."

Eris Falling said:

Personally, I think Brutal Doom is a decent mod. From technical view I think it's very impressive. The problem I have with it is that people are now playing it instead of Doom, hence they never play the original at all, which IMHO, is just wrong. If I got bored for some reason of the normal game, I might go and play Brutal a bit, but I'd never let myself prefer it over the normal game. What also bothers me is the apparent trend in people letting that happen. I fear that one day, in the far future, the definitive version of Doom is going to be "that one where you blew limbs off demons, and performed fatalities, and excessive amounts of blood went everywhere."

I prefer the PSX TC over Brutal Doom, it was the first Doom I ever played back on my Playstation, I was actually shocked when I saw what PC Doom was like!

mrthejoshmon said:

I prefer the PSX TC over Brutal Doom, it was the first Doom I ever played back on my Playstation, I was actually shocked when I saw what PC Doom was like!

Haha, I was exactly the same. "Slough of Despair? wtf is this shit?"
But let's say the PSX version was widely preferred over the PC version; I wouldn't be bothered because I don't consider the PSX version a mod as such. It might be just because that's what I grew up with, thus I'm biased, but I consider PSX Doom as THE Doom just as much the PC version.

Those who like it are overly loud. I'm sick of annoying loads of yt comment on doom vids usually being OMG HOW WOULD IT PLAY WITH BRUTAL DOOM LMAO?!!1!... to which answer is usually pretty simple - it would be unplayable because bd works just with certain kinds maps.

The reason I'm not a fan of Brutal Doom is just because of how bloated it is and how bad some of the new sprites and sounds are. I enjoyed playing it up until probably version 10.

I want to clarify that I "knew" Doom since the beginning. When dial up was new, I was downloading Knee Deep in the Dead shareware. Shit, I can't tell you how many times I killed Hans Grossed. When PSX Doom came out, I probably rented it 25 times (should have bought it straight out). Playing that still gives me some of my best memories. Same for Doom 64 when it came out.

That said, I love BD because I've done Doom projects before and I can only begin to fathom the effort put into this mod. I love BD because it breathes new life into a game I've always loved. There's no shame in that. It harkens to a tone where Doom is over-the-top, nonstop arcade style fun.

Eris Falling said:

Personally, I think Brutal Doom is a decent mod. From technical view I think it's very impressive. The problem I have with it is that people are now playing it instead of Doom, hence they never play the original at all, which IMHO, is just wrong.

While I understand the sentiment of wanting someone to experience something the way it's meant to be (something everyone should do at least once in Doom's case), I'm a big proponent of "Play it like you like to play it," even if that means for some folks that Brutal Doom is on Autoload.

There's at least one irksome exception though: when folks adopt the "you should change Mapset Y to fit Mod X" stance on the matter. Unless it's a really easily fixable issue or a legitimate bug in the map's side that only manifests with Mod X for whatever reason, one is basically stating that Mod X playability is more important than playability with the base game. I think that's silly.

To give context to the above view, in my experience as a guy who makes both maps and gameplay mods, you really can't achieve perfect balance for both vanilla and a gameplay mod, especially when you start switching the basic game mechanics up (which BD certainly does with its increased enemy speed/aggressiveness, headshots, reloading, etc). If it's the mapper's goal to achieve the former, then there should be no expectation that the latter will be fulfilled. Bonus points if it is, of course. ;)

j4rio said:

Those who like it are overly loud. I'm sick of annoying loads of yt comment on doom vids usually being OMG HOW WOULD IT PLAY WITH BRUTAL DOOM LMAO?!!1!... to which answer is usually pretty simple - it would be unplayable because bd works just with certain kinds maps.

You would HATE the comments I get on my videos, I have answered that question 10 times, that is a large ammount to say how small my channel is.

Eris Falling: I was thinking "Where is the coloured lights? Why does that imp sound like Godzilla? WTF is with this catchy music?" bu I did stay the same with
"OH HELL NO NOT PANDEMONIUM" as soon as I got there, fuck that map.

I also was unaware TNT, Plutonia and The Master Levels were seperate wads :/

On topic of Brutal Doom I actually stopped playing when it moved to Zandronum and GZDoom only, I only ever use ZDoom and I hate open GL.

mrthejoshmon said:

The purists I see, makes sense.

No. You're wrong.

People have opinions, whether positive or negative. You're clearly not seeing because you absent mindedly slapped "purists" on people who dislike the mod.

BloodyAcid said:

No. You're wrong.

People have opinions, whether positive or negative. You're clearly not seeing because you absent mindedly slapped "purists" on people who dislike the mod.

Did I? I am not marking people as purists but lets face it, from what I read that is the one of the main reasons is it not? I.E "It changes the game too much" being a point made many times, which in my opinion is purism (is that even a word?)

I also noticed that the racist remarks from older versions as well as over the top gore and violence being a factor as well but purism stuck out more for me than those reasons.

Sorry if I offended you somehow, maybe I should type the full paragraph first rather than later or just no say anything at all?

Obsidian said:

Hey, it got moved.[/obvious]

Wasn't sure between here and Doom General, but moving it was a good call.

Now, if people could stop thread shitting about purity like it's some sort of noble ideal, this thread could improve a little.

The way I see it, if it gets people like you re-interested in Doom, it's fine in my book.

mrthejoshmon said:

On topic of Brutal Doom I actually stopped playing when it moved to Zandronum and GZDoom only, I only ever use ZDoom and I hate open GL.

Are there any GL-only features? If not, you can just use GZDoom/Zandronum with software rendering and it'll be just like good old zdoom.

Krispy said:

The way I see it, if it gets people like you re-interested in Doom, it's fine in my book.

Exactly, if it's got tons of oldskool doomers who quit a while ago back into it along with a ton of new players who have never tried doom before that can only be seen as a positive imo.
I mean yeah you get your fair share of narrow minded shitheads but for every 2 idiots theres a decent new player :P

dew said:

you'll get over it. one day (or 30 seconds later for some of us) you'll just say to yourself "meh, i'm going back to doom" and that will be it.

So they keep telling me.

Brutal Doom is a fun little distraction. I still prefer just Doom. It creates some buzz in the community and that's always kind of nice.

mrthejoshmon said:

<stuff>

I interpreted your earlier post as a means of blaming BD's dislike on DW's "purist" mood. I didn't mean to sound offended, nor did I intend to offend you.

@job: Purism's a preference, not some "noble ideal" (at least to me :P)
/end of discussion

I'm surprised that Brutal Doom hasn't created a brand new category of Cacowards for being the most controversial.

The fact that a zip file full of code, sounds and pixel art can stir up so many emotions one way or another and have so many dedicated forum threads to debate its controversy must earn it some kind of credit.

Sure the die-hard fanatics can be a bit irritating, but the detractors are just as abrasive. I don't think it's better than the game it's based on, but some people make it out to be worse than a Terry wad.

It's a Doom Mod, there are hundreds of them. I don't personally understand why anyone would limit themselves to only one, but letting a mod's popularity keep me up at night isn't exactly my idea of a good time either.

I.E "It changes the game too much" being a point made many times, which in my opinion is purism (is that even a word?)

That's how you're looking to interpret the opinion; but what is truly being said, for the most part, is "it changes the game for the worst".

Disliking Brutal Doom isn't a case of "they changed it, it sucks" purism as much as it's a case of completely ruining the balance of the experience.

The Doom and Doom 2 IWADs are fine with Brutal Doom; Thy Flesh Consumed notwithstanding; because the balance on these is rather lenient and both are still rather playable on Black Metal setting. Play Plutonia (or god forbid, Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited) and it's a whole new level of broken, since those maps were initially balance incredibly well and Brutal Doom simply isn't.

I do like how the pistol replacement is a valid weapon, I must say -- I personally hold out on giving the player the chaingun early (or if at all *cough*SinisterIntention*cough*) to force a little pistol-play here and there in the name of balance. But when it comes down to it, the balance of Brutal Doom is weighted differently to that of Doom.

Now, if there were a dedicated level set perfectly balanced for Brutal Doom, I may change my tune.

A little.

I eventually got tired of BD, it felt too over done and I surpisingly found I prefer vanilla simply with nash's gore mod and the smoother weapon sprites mod. :P

Also I found some of the firing sounds of DB a bit headachey after time like the rocket explosion sound for instance.