Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

Who wants to play some Quake this weekend?

I've been itching to play some Quake, and this weekend I'm free from work. Hopefully #quakenight still exists on OFTC.

Is anyone else interested? If so, we need to nail down what we want to play and when we're gonna play it.

Speaking of weekend Quake, Faceit runs weekly tournaments in quake live över åt faceit.com. evry Sunday they host a duel tournament with a 125$ pricepool, ön top of a wide range of other smaller tournaments throughout the week in CA ctf and tdm.

I'm interested, recently found my copy of Quake and re-installed it. Would I need a specific source port or anything?

DarkPlaces comes highly recommended. It requires some tweaking, though, because it comes with some seriously indulgent rendering effects that can cripple a cutting-edge PC.

Well, I've got DarkPlaces installed, so I guess I'm sorted. I did have to turn down some of the more fanciful graphic effects, like you said.

Would we be using DarkPlaces or EZQuake? apparently EZQuake is supposed to be good for online.

If more people want to play I was thinking one of those, or ProQuake.

What would be the best time to do it? time zones might be a problem, I'm in Finland and i'm sure a lot of people here are in the states, big time difference there.

Okay, let's shoot for tomorrow at 4PM (GMT-5). That way it's only around 10PM for people in Europe. If we can't adjust this to a time that's convenient for everyone we'll shoot for next weekend.

I was thinking we'd do co-op with ProQuake, since QP is designed for online play.

It also looks like #quakenight on irc.oftc.net still exists. So everyone can join that before we start playing tomorrow. I'll also post an announcement in the Quake Night steam group.

Whoo said:

Okay, let's shoot for tomorrow at 4PM (GMT-5). That way it's only around 10PM for people in Europe. If we can't adjust this to a time that's convenient for everyone we'll shoot for next weekend.

I was thinking we'd do co-op with ProQuake, since QP is designed for online play.

It also looks like #quakenight on irc.oftc.net still exists. So everyone can join that before we start playing tomorrow. I'll also post an announcement in the Quake Night steam group.

Is it on today? I'm fine with that, got everything set up and ready to go, according to this it'll be at about 12PM for me, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Whoo said:

I think you misread that as 12AM.

...I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Anyways, I'm in the IRC channel and I'll hang there a while. what's the player limit for CO-OP in Quake anyway?

Sgt_BFG said:

...I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Anyways, I'm in the IRC channel and I'll hang there a while. what's the player limit for CO-OP in Quake anyway?

Name of IRC channel?

MRB_Doom said:

Name of IRC channel?

Posted earlier in the thread:

irc.oftc.net
#quakenight

Bucket said:

Fun session. Too bad I didn't get to play E4, but oh well.

Yeah, E4 is more enjoyable with more than one person. I remember having significant trouble going through the episode on hard on my own, even without a half second delay.

Do you intend to play the expansions at some point?

Call me if you ever get around to Scourge of Armagon, tis masterpiece!

Bloodite Krypto said:

Do you intend to play the expansions at some point?

Call me if you ever get around to Scourge of Armagon, tis masterpiece!

I have both mission packs and I'm game to play them with anyone.

Why do you quote text directly above? :P

Dissolution of Eternity is a real disappointment by contrast though, it's clearly not playtested because why are you flooded with rocket ammo in like the first 4 maps? You soon become overpowered and the level design is nowhere as intricate and interesting compared to MP1.

The environmental traps give it a kick so to speak, but it then makes the multi-grenade Ogres redundant. Also the alternative ammo is overpowered, Bwhaha 5 RL spam.

Sure the Egyptian maps are fun but they can't match Operation Urth Majik in ingenuity.

Does Malice support coop? xD

http://www.mobygames.com/game/malice-23rd-century-ultraconversion-for-quake

Ha, never heard of that malice thing before. I'd also agree that Scourge of Armagon is the better expansion, I love the new weapons and the great level design. I'd love to co-op it with anyone, finding a time might be hard though.

is ProQuake the best option, or are there other multiplayer clients that might be better for this?

Sgt_BFG said:

is ProQuake the best option, or are there other multiplayer clients that might be better for this?

I was at LANs last weekend and there was Quake 1 1on1 tournament. We used nQuake. Can't really tell if it's better or worse than the ones mentioned already :-D I don't think it's the best for co-op though.

Yeah ideally I'd like to use Quakespasm which is an updated, more clean GLQuake with additional engine and custom features. However it isn't optimized for multiplayer so it falls into the 'Netquake' category of engines. You could however combine it with Gameranger to create a room and server but I think it'd just be a mess with port configuration and what not.

We'd need a Quakeworld engine, and I think Proquake fits the bill.