Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Adventures of Square - PROGRESS! Latest development shots on pg. 2 and 3!

<<<<< THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN RELEASED! GET V1.0 IN THIS THREAD >>>>>

The following downloads are for the 3-map DEMO, and are not representative of the final product.

---

DOWNLOAD DEMO (3 maps plus training level) - Still technically a beta.
DOWNLOAD v1.1 PATCH - Overwrite the files of the 1.0 release with the ones this zip contains.

Watch a full playthrough of an earlier demo beta here: (Thanks Pavera!)
http://www.twitch.tv/krispavera/b/441199464

The brilliant Doctor Octagon has been kidnapped! Square must find him, and rescue him from the clutches of the Circle of Evil, a mysterious cult hellbent on the domination of Shape Land. He will square off against terrible monsters and impossible traps in order to prove that he's no square when it comes to justice. Guide him to the center of the Circle's domain, unravel their malicious plot, and win the day fair and square.

Be there and be square!

---

What started out as an attempt by my brother to make the most awfully generic children's cartoon character ever has now become... this. Somehow.

The Adventures of Square is planned to be a full total conversion for the ZDoom engine, making extensive use of DECORATE and UDMF to create a whole new world completely separate from that of Doom, but keeping more or less the same fundamental gameplay mechanics that make Doom such a fun and loveable game - as in, run into rooms, shoot enemies, make them explode, get weapons and finally beat the big badass.

Expect goofiness - that particular dial has been cranked up to 11. The cartoony art style is something I've wanted to try for ages in a first-person shooter engine. The mod features a plethora of villainous geometrical characters, and let's not forget that there will be geometry puns aplenty.

Are you squared away for adventure?

Project creators:
Jimmy
Baratus (aka Jimmybro)

Artists:
Jimmy
lizardcommando
zrrion the insect
Slax (for the title pic)

Music:
Seppo Hurme

Testing team:
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy
zrrion the insect
lizardcommando
Captain J
spoone
pisstepank
grouchbag
Arch
Mechadon
Tarnsman
Krispavera

You could have spent the time it took to make that image to make sure there are no bugs.

I didn't like Jenesis so I know I'm not going to like this either, because it's by the same author.

Oi, Yoko Ono and the two remaining Beatles, give it a rest. The OP is Jimmy 91 btw. I have been following this over on ZDoom forums and I have to say Jimmy; I love the graphical style of this. Did you create all of the graphics? I presume it really Isn't too long until release now? I really like what I see.

Textures have a clean feel to them that sorta evokes Chex Quest memories; but better. I like the looks of this.

I've really been looking forward to this Jimmy! If you need any help with testing or anything like that, you know how to reach me :)

Helled a bunch of threadshitting. Good job, guys.

Memfis said:

You could have spent the time it took to make that image to make sure there are no bugs.

I don't think this joke works when you're talking about a titlepic and screenshots of the maps.

This seems interesting and comprehensive enough to be standalone.

Are any Doom resources used in this at all? It looks pretty cool!

MTrop said:

I don't know if it has been removed yet but there were some shots I remember that had the red Doom torches in.

esselfortium said:

Helled a bunch of threadshitting. Good job, guys.

You missed my slightly disguised response to start of threadshitting.

It looks cute but I'm with Memfi, you get little to no actual information from a bunch of screenshots. Could have been posted to post your doom pic thread instead. Not that I care.

e: ... and I'm serious. After a few years onboard you get a little bit knowledge about personalities and my last post was only meant to piss off dew, which it totally did! Sorry, I got a little tempted. Won't happen again. Also, I totally don't mind jenesis nor author. Pls delete my last post.

A set of screenshots with all original art and a decidedly not-Doomy visual style tell quite a bit about what the project is, I think. Seems fine to me.

j4rio said:

Pls delete my last post.

you'd like that, wouldn't you.

I'm way too proud of it to just blank it myself.

Love ya too dewsey.

GreyGhost said:

I like what I see, how soon can we expect a release?

Springy said:

I have been following this over on ZDoom forums and I have to say Jimmy; I love the graphical style of this. Did you create all of the graphics? I presume it really Isn't too long until release now? I really like what I see.

Not long at all, with any luck. :D A 4-map demo will be released as soon as my testers all report back and I can act on their feedback. :)

Mechadon said:

I've really been looking forward to this Jimmy! If you need any help with testing or anything like that, you know how to reach me :)

Cool beans, man! I have seven beta-testers already, but I guess one more won't hurt. ;)

Katamori said:

Jimmy! If you are a man, you do it at least Boom-compatible!

Sorry, this has been a ZDoom thing for forever (in fact it was GZDoom-only for the longest time, I only in the last few months made it software-renderer-compliant), it would require all sorts of reverse-engineering to get it to that stage. xP

MTrop said:

Only a very few - sounds, mainly. All the textures and sprites will be custom. :)

Springy said:

I don't know if it has been removed yet but there were some shots I remember that had the red Doom torches in.

Yes, those have been replaced now, check out the sixth shot. :)

Jimmy said:

Only a very few - sounds, mainly. All the textures and sprites will be custom. :)

Hell, if you replace those you could have yourself an IWAD in progress. If you want that, that is.

Oh yes, that's definitely my end goal. :)

That actually brings me to a question. Can .pk3s act as IWADS?

I don't know if there's currently any way to label a PK3 as an IWAD/PWAD, so probably not.

There is a way, but you have to fudge with ZDoom's IWADINFO entry in zdoom.pk3.

The trick is to get it to ONLY detect your PK3. It will load it like any other WAD/PK3.

Super thanks to Pavera for doing that. Awesome stream. :D

The demo will be released publicly very soon! Pavs picked out a couple of bugs I need to iron out and I'm just waiting on some feedback from Mechadon. Then it'll be done. :D