Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bedlam [uploaded to the archive]

I can not figure out the imp demo. When I try to open it in prboom then you die by spectres after some seconds.
I am not sure how to play demos in chocolate doom, the demo gets accepted but the map is not replaced by pwad. I used: -file DPE3M8 -playdemo d3p8-fda

Sokoro said:

I can not figure out the imp demo. When I try to open it in prboom then you die by spectres after some seconds.
I am not sure how to play demos in chocolate doom, the demo gets accepted but the map is not replaced by pwad. I used: -file DPE3M8 -playdemo d3p8-fda

The version I used was from here. (-file devilish_project_e3m8.wad) Otherwise, are you using an old prboom version maybe?

Ok just watched it. I see there are still some problems with the monsters and teleports hehe.. also need to make sure that player can not do the trick you did at blue bars. I might also remove some ammo.. just a little.

Edit: OK so I uploaded yet another version with bug fixes
http://ubuntuone.com/0esmNCvPhKyCSXHNBq7t58
I guess this is what playtesters are for, so that you revisit your map again and again..

So here is the final beta with latest versions of all maps (I hope...). Bug reports and various suggestions are very welcome.

For e3m9 music I just changed the instruments in the e3m1 midi, lame but I can't do much more than that. :)

Oh hey, I found an OTHER bug in my map. I'll upload an updated version tomorrow evening (in case someone else finds something else/has any critisicsm in the meantime), then I'm off to vacation for the next week.

I found a texture error in E3M9:

Linedef 937 have a back sidedef 1352 which use MARBLE3 as its lower texture.
Should be WOOD1 instead, with texture offset 0,0

Also I am not sure if it is good to keep the invul sphere in the map.
It can come handy if player do a trick to reach it before a cyberdemon fight, but the cyberdemon fight is not that hard anyway and the invul sphere can make it trivial to speedrun last room before the exit.
What do you think?

Sokoro said:

Also I am not sure if it is good to keep the invul sphere in the map.
It can come handy if player do a trick to reach it before a cyberdemon fight, but the cyberdemon fight is not that hard anyway and the invul sphere can make it trivial to speedrun last room before the exit.
What do you think?

I think I agree. On the Russian forums people also said that it is unnecessary btw. :)

OK. new version of E3M9, fixed few things..

-slightly easier to spot secret buttons (brightened their sectors from 128 to 144)
-fixed sidedef's 1352 texture
-slightly easier to spot secret door to easter egg hallway
-deleted unnecessary invul sphere and added some hp and armor bonuses instead
-minor lighting and texture adjustments in easter egg room
-higher height of certain sector with dm start so that sp and coop players wont get confused by sound of linedef action trigger

Download(v1,1): http://ubuntuone.com/5cJ74GFvtCcOHl5RZPTQqH

Memfis: I just hope that all maps will contain DM and Coop starts, so that it is fully functional episode replacement
I even made some adjustments in my maps to make them more DM friendly

Sokoro said:

Memfis: I just hope that all maps will contain DM and Coop starts, so that it is fully functional episode replacement
I even made some adjustments in my maps to make them more DM friendly

Oh woops, I don't think I placed any of those in my map (e3m3). But it's layout is probably good for DM, it's pretty interconnected.

Memfis, should I do this when I get back home or can you just sprinkle some DM player starts (and coop ones if I didn't place those, which I most likely didn't)? I've never played DM so I don't have any idea about how it's balance works and whatnot so I can't do much. Should all players get yellow keys when they start so that both halves of the map are always accessible? Or are key doors maybe always open in DM? Is it expected to rearrange pick-ups for DM, such as weapons for every DM start? Etc etc.

I seriously doubt that someone will try playing this in deathmatch so you don't need to put much effort into balancing it. I guess just make sure that people can't get stuck, etc. And yeah, players spawn with all keys in DM so you don't need to worry about that. I can place the spawns myself, along with some additional coop monsters if you don't mind.

Memfis said:

I can place the spawns myself, along with some additional coop monsters if you don't mind.

Gopher it. Just don't "accidentally" turn half my red bricks into green or vice-versa again :)

Uh oh, apparently on e3m7 the yellow key doesn't exist on easy difficulty. (thanks saifi for reporting this)

Um, I was kind of hoping for some outside feedback (I mean not from the contributors) but I guess it's not going to happen? Time to release this thing then?

Just finished it:

E3M1 and M2: Not much of a threat in the monster department here IMO. Never really felt threatened. Map structure is ok.

E3M3: Decent map for exploration. Got lost for a bit.

E3M4: Nice little map, caco ambush was really cool.

E3M5: Lots of monsters that will never hurt you in large spaces, but then there's really cool stuff like the bloody pipemaze and a jumping puzzle for the RL.

E3M6: Nice exploratory map. Got lost once or twice but I'd consider that a plus in a hell map.

E3M9: Kinda a lame take on the warrens gimmick TBH. Suffers from the same monster problems as E3M1.

E3M7: My favorite, a nice adventure through a weird floating castle or something with a lot of exploration and connectivity. The weirdest conversion of a C&C track ever, I'm 50/50 on it.

E3M8: Suffers from weak monster usage in general, but fun to explore and has some cool bits. Lamest barons ever at the end :P

In addition, the maps generally suffer from the same problem most other Ultimate Doom episodes do: Baron usage. When they're used well they're great, but when they're not they're terrible harmless ammo sponges.

Well, right now you can't upload anything to the archive because they are doing some maintenance stuff, so at the moment I actually have an excuse for not sending it. :P

BUMP

I think I have never made appearance in this thread, but I played some of the levels a looong time ago and enjoyed them. Any chances that a final version and upload to /idgames are gonna happen?

Will you upload there the same file as is the "final beta" in the first post?

(Just making sure that I'll have the right final version.)

Yep, although I should redo the graphic since I used that outdated DoomWord program and the letters are spaced too far apart (unless we're doing a completely custom style, in which case disregard).

Why is it impossible on easy skill?