Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Aliens: Colonial Marines is out.....and it sucks.

Good point with the Orange Box, a lot of people could have bought it for TF2 before it was free. It looks like you're right too.

Rage has an 81% success rate with the lowest achievement >> http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Rage/achievements

82% for Duke Nukem Forever. http://steamcommunity.com/stats/DukeNukemForever/achievements

82% Rise of the Triad >> http://steamcommunity.com/stats/RiseoftheTriad/achievements

62% for Meatboy >> http://steamcommunity.com/stats/SuperMeatBoy/achievements

I would give Doom 3 BFG stats, but those stats would get split since its so many games in one.

A:CM was less of a disappointment than a baseball game and a fucking movie tie-in game? That's funny.

I know I shouldn't keep talking about this topic but.... Sega's studio is making a 3PS / survival horror game in the Aliens world. As much as I'd say sounds good.... but I think the damage from this game will have a ripple effect to every other game with the Aliens name. yet it won't have the same ripple effect to Gearbox games.

I'm reading the review now.... I see in the cons >> Poorly designed levels without enough ammo and resources; set piece moments that are irritating rather than thrilling

Yeah yet the original game had TOO MUCH AMMO AND RESOURCES. Can't get the balance right I guess.

I really think the first game was so easy so they complete it to buy the DLC.

People complain about how the Xenomorphs just dive at people instead of using stealth tactics, they'd complain about how everything just appears behind you like how people complain about Doom 3 everything just appeared from behind you.

Speaking of Doom 3.... after playing Doom 3 ROE recently I have to say those plasma shooting aliens make for a lot better Xenomorphs than Xenomorphs.

They can still make a money by having a central 4 characters that always stay alive (and can be played by humans). Then having those 4 central characters flying all over the cosmos killing aliens with $5 DLC each time. Or a free horde mode with hundreds of aliens and only 6 marines to defend the base supported by buying ACM hats / helmets.

Hmmm the game could have also had the dead aliens seep into the ground slowly in a pool of acid instead of keeping them on screen where they can flop around before disappearing in front of your eyes.

kristus said:

A lot of people may have bought HL2 without actually playing it though. remember the Orange box? You couldn''t buy Portal for instance at first without buying HL2. And what if you already had HL2? Then you got two and there's no reason to play that copy when you alöready got one.

I gave my extra copy of HL2 to a friend of mine because he'd never played any of the Half-Life games, and he was looking for a new game to get into. Actually, he had to sign up for Steam before I could even give him the copy, but he loved the hell out of the game and Steam's been a great way for us to stay in contact (I like having a chat program that works in-game so I don't have to exit my game to chat with friends online).

geo said:

I know I shouldn't keep talking about this topic but.... Sega's studio is making a 3PS / survival horror game in the Aliens world. As much as I'd say sounds good.... but I think the damage from this game will have a ripple effect to every other game with the Aliens name. yet it won't have the same ripple effect to Gearbox games.

I'm still keeping hope alive.

That's interesting, that's the first I've heard of such a game. I think a survival-horror would be the ideal genre for an Aliens game, rather than a guns-blazing FPS. Even the second Aliens movie, as much as it is an action movie, it still retains the thriller aspect. Despite the fact that the humans had massive-firepower, they were constantly on the run, and being picked off one after the other. Also, Ripley having to defeat the Queen in a unconventional way, was pretty survival-horror-eqe.

I was pondering on what would make for a good Aliens game. Imagine if your character was an android sent by WY, on a covert mission with marines to an infested ship or colony. As the android, you could choose to full-fill your missions; find ways to lure the marines to be impregnated by face-huggers; and return the with a xenomorph specimen to the company ("bad ending"). Or, your character could choose to defect, and aid the marines in wiping out the colony, and double-cross WY ("Good Ending"). I guess there could be some room for an intermediate ending as well.

The dialogue and the actions you take could dictate what kind of course the game will follow.

I feel a few Aliens games where good. Aliens 3 was good, with problems. I did like AvP2K2010 and well I did like ACM, even with how meh it was. Maybe I'm just that big of a die hard fan.

FPS are meant for everything to die by 1 man. Thousands dead by you and your gun. Aliens are meant to kill everything. Aliens should be enough to kill an entire town / colony. How do you get over aliens without killing a lot of people. How are they a dangerous threat without 1 man killing them all? How do you still have a sense of danger with so many weapons? Easy. Strip the weapons. But I guess that doesn't make a FPS very fun. You can still have the overpowered weapons, but for a limited fuck yeah I feel powerful, this is fun before it runs out of ammo and you have to drop it.

Survival Horror usually means to me that you struggle against the controls, coupled with high death rates and a limited amount of everything and that's what raises the tension.

But I think in this case... 3PS survival horror will mean Dead Space.

The catch to the Aliens movie was they arrive with big guns, can't use them, then lose their squad leaving 3 civilians (Ripley), 2 idiots, 2 concomitant marines and an android stuck in a pipe. Plus there's mystery of who's with you and who's against you. Is the android gonna turn? Is Burke gonna turn? That's some human drama there that ACM and really no other game had. Having a kid adds to it too. Terminator 2 had a kid. You need a kid to amp things up.

Since I've played Walking Dead recently, I keep thinking other games would benefit from the slow 'everyone can play' story aspect. Get a bunch of characters together, with a kid (Newt), where anyone can die and change things, complete with characters betraying one another. Such as someone has a face hugger on them and its obvious the face hugger tube was brought in to hug a sleeping human. Who put it there? Can you view cameras to see who it was? Can you pick from 2 people to put a bullet in their head? What happens if you kill the wrong person and still get betrayed? What do you do with the person that was face hugged? Kill them right then and there or wait until their chest bursts and the newborn kills someone? Then as you're about to leave in stasis pods. There are 4 pods and 4 survivors. Catch is 1 pod is broken. Who stays awake and starves to death or kills themselves so the other 3 can live? Oh and most importantly can alien blood melt off your hand or disfigure someone?

Intriguing ^^^

I'd even like an Aliens version of X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

Here's how I'd do an Aliens game. I think you can combine action with survival horror in this case. Have a ship get stranded on a planet crawling with xenomorphs, where no matter how much firepower you have, it doesn't matter because you'll eventually get overrun. In most games, I'd say I'm not a fan of the "infinite respawning" gimmick, but I think it could work here. It'd force you to keep on your feet - you could never just stand your ground and fight them all off. Plus, it'd encourage players to avoid encounters when possible. And there'd be constant dread that an alien could be stalking you at any moment, waiting for the best opportunity to pounce. Point is, you gotta find a way off the planet as fast as possible, and you want to do anything you can to not draw attention to yourself. You know, kind of like you're playing Newt, but with guns. In a jam, you can fight, but ideally, you'd be looking for secret passages, hiding, and always watching over your shoulder.

And heck, this may be cliche, but maybe have other survivors, as well, that you encounter, and you have to make tough decisions. They could be infected and you'd have no way to know - do you risk that? Maybe the person is a hothead - you wouldn't want a companion who fires wildly at the first sign of anything that moves when you're trying to avoid detection - but then, maybe there's an area up ahead where you're forced into an encounter and it'd be handy to have the extra firepower. Or maybe there's someone with useful information, but they're panicky - you'd have to work on keeping them calm so they don't do anything to attract unwanted attention.

Yeah, I know it sounds kind of like "The Thing," video game, and it wasn't all that great. However, I think the basic concept was a very good one, just poorly executed. I'd like to see that idea done right.

geekmarine said:

Here's how I'd do an Aliens game. I think you can combine action with survival horror in this case. Have a ship get stranded on a planet crawling with xenomorphs, where no matter how much firepower you have, it doesn't matter because you'll eventually get overrun. In most games, I'd say I'm not a fan of the "infinite respawning" gimmick, but I think it could work here. It'd force you to keep on your feet - you could never just stand your ground and fight them all off. Plus, it'd encourage players to avoid encounters when possible. And there'd be constant dread that an alien could be stalking you at any moment, waiting for the best opportunity to pounce. Point is, you gotta find a way off the planet as fast as possible, and you want to do anything you can to not draw attention to yourself. You know, kind of like you're playing Newt, but with guns. In a jam, you can fight, but ideally, you'd be looking for secret passages, hiding, and always watching over your shoulder.

And heck, this may be cliche, but maybe have other survivors, as well, that you encounter, and you have to make tough decisions. They could be infected and you'd have no way to know - do you risk that? Maybe the person is a hothead - you wouldn't want a companion who fires wildly at the first sign of anything that moves when you're trying to avoid detection - but then, maybe there's an area up ahead where you're forced into an encounter and it'd be handy to have the extra firepower. Or maybe there's someone with useful information, but they're panicky - you'd have to work on keeping them calm so they don't do anything to attract unwanted attention.

Yeah, I know it sounds kind of like "The Thing," video game, and it wasn't all that great. However, I think the basic concept was a very good one, just poorly executed. I'd like to see that idea done right.

Just make a mechanic that the longer you stay in an area the more aliens come and the bigger aliens. Kind of like the police mechanic from GTA games. Only catch would be standing around shooting them just fits into a horde mode. Day Z / War Z have a lot of stealth with 40 - 60 minutes full of literally nothing, because you're so good at sneaking around nothing attacks you. But as a trade off you're only going half speed. In an Aliens game, making a sound can have a 50% chance of spawning an enemy behind you.

How about limiting resources where it then turns into you want that gun, but someone else does too and they're willing to shoot you for it. If not throw a noise maker at you and let the Xenos get you?

I'd think for that idea to work it would need to be an open world or MMO. And what if there was no way off (outside of standard collect parts of a communications relay and assemble it), but rather to ensure your safety you just need to take the fight to the Queen.