Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zed

Look what I've found (Shovelware)

Hello there. I recently found a site where you can find some old shovelware CDs. I know that some of these are hard to find, so you may want to take a look.

http://archive.org/details/doom-cds

Enjoy.

Note: I contacted a moderator before making these thread, and he told me to go ahead as long as it is "genuine" shovelware, so it should be OK. I haven't see them all, and I didn't see anything wrong, so there you go. But please, if you see something "out of place" contact me immediately so I can remove the link. Have a nice day.

Patch93 said:

Well Deimos/Baron, I think you have a new place to go to find terrible maps to rip on.

Don't be so sure:

I've got all of this shit to get through.

Bucket said:

Heh, I've got Doom Heaven. Many, many, many terrible levels (and Yakworld).

Sounds more like Doom Hell... :D

Heh, I've seen this site before but lost the link. In which case, thanks again. Hopefully something of quality can be dug up. Though sometimes it's nice just to see what has custom graphics or not.

Well, that's 44 shovelware CDs to look into. I'm sure there's at least a couple of dozens of quality wads in there.

@Grey Ghost: Is that your shovelware collection? For some reason my browser doesn't allow me to look at the image. If that's the case, I'm actually interested in expanding my shovelware collection. Do you have something not present in archive.org that can be legally distributed? Also, if somebody has that old shovelware disc called Gaminator, I would like to lay my hands on it, if that's possible.

EDIT

Speaking of shovelware shit, remember Demon Gate Mega Collection? Well, I'll soon be onto that Death Match.

In my case, mostly on eBay. You could also try Amazon.

Zed said:

Is that your shovelware collection?

For some reason my browser doesn't allow me to look at the image.

Do you have something not present in archive.org that can be legally distributed?

Also, if somebody has that old shovelware disc called Gaminator, I would like to lay my hands on it, if that's possible.

Yep, that's my collection.

Could be a browser setting, a plug-in or your virus/malware scanner blocking the image. See if this download link works any better.

Good question. The publishers for many of those disks probably ceased trading years ago, so they can probably be considered "orphaned works". I think archive.org prefers uploads from the copyright holder, though it wouldn't surprise me if most of their Doom CDs were uploaded by third parties on the assumption that "nobody's likely to complain".

Try pestering Gez. He dropped a download link for Gaminator somewhere in these forums, though I can't recall where.

GreyGhost said:

The publishers for many of those disks probably ceased trading years ago, so they can probably be considered "orphaned works". I think archive.org prefers uploads from the copyright holder, though it wouldn't surprise me if most of their Doom CDs were uploaded by third parties on the assumption that "nobody's likely to complain".

It's much more that copyright doesn't exist for these shovelware compilations.

The shovelware companies can't claim copyright on the individual files, which leaves them only with collection copyright. But for that to apply, there needs to have been creative work involved in making the compilation - which in the case of true "shovelware", isn't the case - it's just a random grab-bag of stuff that people have made available online.

It's on that basis that I gave Zed the go-ahead to post this, and on which I made this post years ago.

Graf Zahl said:

Sounds more like Doom Hell... :D

That would be too good a name for such crappy maps. :P

GreyGhost said:

*image of shovelware clusterfuck*
Let me know when you start running out. :-)

Holy fucking shit! That's an insane amount!

That's not the lot, I could pad the list out a bit by adding some Amiga magazine CDs that contained selections of wads. ;-)

Grazza said:

The shovelware companies can't claim copyright on the individual files, which leaves them only with collection copyright. But for that to apply, there needs to have been creative work involved in making the compilation - which in the case of true "shovelware", isn't the case - it's just a random grab-bag of stuff that people have made available online.

In that case, I might as well upload some of mine to archive.org and see if there's any fallout.

He has enough wads for GZ to play for an eternity, on an old 386DX/40 with plain old ISA VGA card, and just the PC speaker... ;-)

Zed said:

Also, if somebody has that old shovelware disc called Gaminator, I would like to lay my hands on it, if that's possible.

You mean, the actual physical disc?

Thanks for your replies.

@Grey Ghost: Thanks, that link works. It's an awesome collection, it would be great if we could see some of them at archive.org. By the way, talking about uploads, this is from archive.org/details/cdbbsarchive:

"A number of the initial CD images for this collection came courtesy of the CD BBS of Twin Falls, Idaho, operated by Mark Fugitt (sysop) and Mike Laybourn (remote sysop). The system used a Harris 286 CPU operating at 20MHZ, two 65 Megabit Seagate RLL hard drives and a Dennon CD player that used a "cart" to hold the CD. The BBS was started using RBBS software, a single phone line with 2400 baud modem and a shareware CD.

Additional donations of CD-ROMs have come from Erik Pederson, Peter Simpson, Chuck Gilbert, Koos van den Hout, MCbx, Jason Scott, Tim Hazel, and others."

So they were, apparently, uploaded by third parties (at least some of them).

@Mad Butcher: Thanks a lot. By the way, you seem to be "The Man" when it comes to lost wads and such, right?

@Gez: I would love to own the actual disc, but I can live with just an .iso. Oh, and I was aware of the link you posted a while ago, but it's not working anymore.

By the way, I'm sure some of you already knew this, but this site has been in front of my eyes all this time. It's linked in the Doom Wiki, in the D!Zone article. Now I feel like an idiot.

P.S.: Did anyone manage to find that elusive subway station in the cover of Gaminator?

Geez, I thought I was the only one to buy Doom Heaven. I found it in a pharmacy in town way back when.

My dad actually played through every single one of the WADs on the disk. EVERY SINGLE ONE. It came with a decent frontend for enumerating through all of them called "DoomLaunch."

Came across this in one of the images.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
           T H E  N I G H T  B E F O R E   *-D-*-*-O-*-*-O-*-*-M-*
            Written by: Hank Leukart (ap641@cleveland.freenet.edu)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

`Twas the night before DOOM,
                          and all through the house,
                   I had set up my multi-playing networks,
                              each with a mouse.
                          The networks were strung,
                           with extra special care
                             in hopes that DOOM,
                             soon would be there.
              The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
             while visions of demons danced through their heads.
                 And my computer's processor it was so quick,
                      boy was I glad I bought that 486.
             When out on the Internet there was a Usenet posting,
                I dialed right in to see what it was boasting.
                 Off to the news reader I flew like a hound,
                 "Oh no," I cried!  The news reader was down!
                 Frustrated, bewildered, feeling really low,
              I leaned back to see what I heard out the window.
                When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
                  but a group of 6 cars, driving 60 I fear!
                With a big young driver, just look at him go!
                 I knew in a moment, it must be John Romero!
                 Over the speed limit, his band of cars came,
            And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
                           "Now, Jay! Now, John!
                            Now, Dave and Kevin!
                           On, Adrian! On, Sandy!
                           On, Shawn and Robert!"
                         To the top of the driveway!
                             Don't hit that wall!
             Now stop your car, stop your car, stop your car all!
                    Leaving the car, he entered the house,
                Walking quietly, so as to not wake the spouse.
           He was dressed in a T-shirt, and a a pair of jeans too,
                   I was unsure of what he was going to do.
                   Boxes of DOOM he had flung on his back,
             and he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
         Those boxes - how they sparkled!  The shrink-wrap so tight!
          The character was drawn on the front, just ready to fight!
                The Chain Saw and Shotgun he held in his hand,
              Where was the BFG9000?: The best gun in the land.
                   And then I saw it, strapped to his back,
                Along with a copy of the "Official" DOOM FAQ!
                A wink of John's eye and a twist of his head,
                 Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.
             He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
            Installed it on the network, then turned with a jerk.
                      And placing a hand into his jeans,
                   out came his keys - oh how they gleamed!
             He sprang to his car, to the id team gave a whistle,
         and away they all drove, like DOOM's launching of a missile.
             But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
                 "DEMONS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A HELLISH NIGHT!"

exp(x) said:

Came across this in one of the images.

I love that old Doom stuff. This old text document called Doom Insanity includes the night before Doom and some other humourous musings from early Doomers. Some of the stuff is from before Doom was even released... some people were already obsessed before they even played it! One of the few instances I recall that the end product live up to the hype.

That story is pretty well-known, and even appears in the Doom FAQ. Truth be told, there is probably very little in these shovelware disks that isn't already duplicated many times over in several other well-known sources.

Yeah, after looking a little more carefully into some of these CDs, it looks like there's almost nothing new. There could be a couple of hidden gems though. And who can resist having a CD called "1001 Nights of Doom"?

There might be a couple of more "controversial" WADs in there, which were later removed or censored due to copyright reasons. Plenty of Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead sound wads etc. or even thinly disguised entire usable IWADs or doom/doom2.exe files can sometimes be found in there.

Yes, that's why I hesitated about this, and was the main reason for contacting Grazza before posting anything. Honestly, the ones I've checked so far only seem to contain shareware copies (now I have like 20 copies of shareware Doom!), and I haven't see Simpsons or anything like that, but I can't be entirely sure before checking them all. I hope it isn't the case.