Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I'm guessing sound activated teleporter traps? Also, I recently learned that there's a switch in one of the Baron boxes in E1M8 that lets you back down the lift.

joe-ilya said:

Had to look , really no gunners , nice find.

I also found some holes near the plasma trap , any ideas what is it for?

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2508/7mtz.png

scifista42 said:

Correction: They are to provide darker light level so the surrounding big sectors can blink properly. That's what I meant.

hahaha, that's a pretty unelegant solution, if you ask me :P

Why not just make the sectors zero height, then? Or perhaps this was a simple oversight, or something to do with early editor limitations, or just because Sandy Peterson.

1. Open up Ultimate Doom E2M4.
2. Walk into the computer room with blue walls and the strange structure with the two Evil Eyes.
3. Standing from the direction of the entrance, shoot at the left-hand "inner" side of the structure.
4. See what happens.

And shooting at other "inner" parts of that structure will open the secret behind you. Only that left wall has assigned wrong action. Just... wow. Nice find.

EDIT: When I'm thinking about it, that room is probably a direct inspiration for the MAP01's room, don't ya think? I think Petersen said in some interview that he's been reusing design he liked.

Cell said:

2. Walk into the computer room with blue walls and the strange structure with the two Evil Eyes.
3. Standing from the direction of the entrance, shoot at the left-hand "inner" side of the structure.
4. See what happens.

Jeeze (spoiler), just when I thought this room couldn't get any more enigmatic.

scifista42 said:

EDIT: When I'm thinking about it, that room is probably a direct inspiration for the MAP01's room, don't ya think? I think Petersen said in some interview that he's been reusing design he liked.

My thoughts exactly. That structure has always reminded me of the one seen in that tech room in Entryway. By now have I figured out that I was even closer to the truth than I'd ever have thought.

It would be awesome to acquire the Doom 64 models and make even higher resolution sprites for Doom 64 Ex.

Cell said:

4. See what happens.

Mind: BLOWN!

schwerpunk said:

Jeeze (spoiler), just when I thought this room couldn't get any more enigmatic.

Actually, IMO, E2M4 is the most enigmatic map of the whole episode, and maybe even the whole game.

Cell said:

The Baron/Hellknight rather reminds me of Hulk. :D

I don't see that monster in there, I think you mean the pinky because it's green in that.

Maybe it's just me, but are Lost Souls easier to kill in Doom 64 than in PC Doom games? You can take them out with one Shotgun hit in Doom 64, as opposed to two at minimum in PC Doom.

Also, I don't know, but the Lost Souls just feel "soft" in Doom 64 (and they look hard as a rock in PC Doom).

Also, to those wanting to fight Pain Elementals up close and personal in Doom 64 (because if you do this in PC Doom they can't shoot out Lost Souls, making them harmless), heed my warning: not a good idea. Pain Elementals are quite explosive in Doom 64 (if you're at their mouth when they release a Lost Soul or if you're near them when they explode, you'll take a decent amount of damage).

The lost souls in Doom 64 are far more aggressive than the ones in the original Doom games. In regards to the Doom 64 pain elemental, stay far back when taking them down they're rather explosive!

They're more aggressive but with lower health, I think the Doom 64 monsters were made tougher for story reasons and maybe also to make up for lack of certain monsters I guess.

Lost souls are weaker in PSX Doom (can be taken down with a single shotgun shot), and Doom 64 was derived from PSX Doom rather than PC Doom.

Piper Maru said:

The lost souls in Doom 64 are far more aggressive than the ones in the original Doom games. In regards to the Doom 64 pain elemental, stay far back when taking them down they're rather explosive!

I just learned this on Even Simpler. Survived with 2 HP, ran away to find health, killed by a dart trap -_-

Ragnor said:

I just learned this on Even Simpler. Survived with 2 HP, ran away to find health, killed by a dart trap -_-

Yesterday I was playing Doom64 ex with fast monsters on, wow talk about a real challenge. Especially with lost souls, my goodness lol. Whenever I encounter a pain elemental, it's always the first thing I take down as fast as possible. Either with the plasma gun, bfg or the laser.

Not related to an IWAD, but it is a very popular 1v1 map in DM.

DWANGO5 Map01: There are two hidden switches right next to each other. Stand in front of the opening that leads outside (in Doom II Map01, this opening brings you to the secret Shotgun and is right across from the exit door). To the left of this opening is a wall made up of all ASHWALL3. There are two 16-unit switches in this wall. If you press spacebar on the middle of the wall, a wall will rise behind you, completely covering up the "DWANGO5 compiled by Aikman" texture. If you press spacebar on the left side of the wall (where the corner is), that wall will lower.

The switch that rises the wall to block that texture can only be activated once, while the switch to lower the wall can be activated numerous times.

E1M3 has "exposed" GRAY5 texture in the first Soulsphere secret. It's the upper texture of the same line on which the switch lowering the platform is the lower texture. With normal Vanilla gameplay, it can't be seen, though - but GRAY5 later revisits as the door tracks of the linear secret doors in E1M5, leading to the outer yard from the "nukage pool with switch and lowering pillars" area.

The spread of shots from the regular shotgun is, at the limit of autoaim range, still just enough for all of them to hit an Arachnotron from such a distance.

Jayextee said:

The spread of shots from the regular shotgun is, at the limit of autoaim range, still just enough for all of them to hit an Arachnotron from such a distance.

Then I guess, the SSG goes for the same with the Spider Mastermind.

Cell said:

Then I guess, the SSG goes for the same with the Spider Mastermind.

I have not tried it yet, but I guess not. This would be because the SSG, unlike the normal shotgun, has vertical spread as well. I think many shots would hit the ground or whatever.

It's just a theory though, I could be wrong of course.

SavageCorona said:

I just figured out how to get into the secret plasma gun in The Waste Tunnels.

That secret, alongside the "library" ones in MAP16 and the 30-second one in MAP27 was pretty much a son of a bitch.

SavageCorona said:

I just figured out how to get into the secret plasma gun in The Waste Tunnels.

Actually, there's not one, but TWO ways to open that secret :P

THREE, actually.

Spoiler

Two opposite torches by the blue key (really both!), and the wall itself, which is certainly the best.
Of course, you may argue that the 2 torches could be considered one way only, but one of them lets you see in the direction of the secret, while the other the opposite direction while pressing it, making it much less obvious.