Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joepallai

Death Match Revival--Rebooted under new management

Deathmatch Revival—Reboot 7/10/13

I love the idea behind DMR—an old school vibe Death Match megawad. It screams metal and brings back memories of hours spent hunting down your opponent in some vaguely industrial, vaguely hellish place. Fuzzy detailing and constant action as you race for the BFG so you can vaporize everyone in one perfectly timed shot.

At least that's how it should be ideally....... afterwards …...once it's completed. Right now however, there is a lot of work that needs to be done, in order to make this a really good deathmatch experience. There are too many maps (roughly 1/3) with bad design elements and/or questionable layouts for this to be remembered as anything other than a project that was put together too quickly and then failed to self regulate. (It's okay; it was exciting, but now if we want this to be remembered in a good way, we'll have to work at it.)

My goal as new project leader is to improve the quality of this level set and salvage as many maps, locations and/or ideas from the 35 maps submitted and refine them enough to meet the following criteria:

1. The map must be fun to play; well balanced ; and engaging over the long term.
2. Port specific features used need to add to the Deathmatch experience in a significant gameplay related manner.
3. Port specific features used need to be 100% cross compatible between these two source ports: Zandorum and Odamex
4. Gameplay over graphics (unless it is ugly enough that I am forced to make a call on it.)

To this end, currently submitted maps will be reviewed and given a critique by myself; in addition to the previously volunteered critiques by outside sources. The map author will then have a month to show willingness to improve upon their work. Map authors unwilling to change/improve upon their work face being cut from the project. I am looking for people who want to make something outstanding; and are willing to do the time necessary to achieve that. You don't have to present us with a masterpiece during the one month rework phase (though that would be nice). You do have to show the rest of the team that you are serious. No one is exempt here.

Any map chosen for removal, can be championed by another map author to be improved upon (much like I did with Map24 Splatterhouse). If this happens, then the same one month improvement cycle applies.

All map authors will be given credit/partial credit or initial credit status for maps and/or map sections used in the final DMR text file and Map credit screen. Map authors retain full ownership of their final submitted map and can reuse this in their own compilation later. The final version of the map as released under DMR is not for reuse however.

For the sake of the project, music selection needs to be done by someone other than myself.

That's enough to get started. I look forward to working with everyone to make something great.
Joe

It's great to see you made a new thread man. Later on tonight I will give some input on the progress of the latest beta.

Once again, I will be willing to critic or play test any map handed to me and provide a complete and well-detailed opinion on it, what could be better and what fits well.

Thank you.

doomguy93 said:

It's great to see you made a new thread man. Later on tonight I will give some input on the progress of the latest beta.

the only two maps that changed here are Map 23 and Map 24 everything else is the same.

Wincarthym said:

Once again, I will be willing to critic or play test any map handed to me and provide a complete and well-detailed opinion on it, what could be better and what fits well.

Thank you.

I liked the thoroughness of your review and will consider you for later inclusion as a tester. Initial playtesting will be done by myself and includes the various reviews and playthroughs already provided (yours is one of them). Once I've completed my review phase and the one month rework progress is looked at, the project will open up to new mappers, testers, and musicians.

You are free to recycle/scrap the map I contributed ("Your in hell" I think or its old name HellDM.wad), it does not meet the criteria set and has no place in this version.

i'm here because the file that doom kid posted had my old map, i did send him my new version but i don't why he didn't upgraded it, anyway i'll pm you with the link

I'm thinking that jumping should be turned off for the entire mapset; as that wasn't a part of old school DM and disallowing it will cause fewer things to be broken.

joepallai said:

I'm thinking that jumping should be turned off for the entire mapset; as that wasn't a part of old school DM and disallowing it will cause fewer things to be broken.

I agree with that.

I wouldn't bother forcing jumping off, people never run oldschool DM wads with jumping these days so it won't pose an issue.

Hows the progress going so far with DMR? Any update on the next beta?

Sorry for the lack of updates/progress--I've had to find and purchase a car somewhat unexpectedly. Anyways.....

I'm halfway through giving my critiques of the maps in the last beta given by Doomkid92. I just have to type them up, offer suggestions, and send by PM to the individual authors afterwards. Once you've received a PM by me the 30 day countdown for rework/improving begins. After the 30 day mark I will consolidate all of the resubmitted maps into a new private beta for the team; this will then be the basis from where we go forward.

I've had one author submit an improved map already and have provided feedback on that. I've also had another person from outside the original team submit a map for me to review (which I've yet to do unfortunately).

By the end of next week I should have the PM evaluations going out. If not, then by the 31st. Apologies for the wait.
Joe

joepallai said:

Sorry for the lack of updates/progress--I've had to find and purchase a car somewhat unexpectedly. Anyways.....

I'm halfway through giving my critiques of the maps in the last beta given by Doomkid92. I just have to type them up, offer suggestions, and send by PM to the individual authors afterwards. Once you've received a PM by me the 30 day countdown for rework/improving begins. After the 30 day mark I will consolidate all of the resubmitted maps into a new private beta for the team; this will then be the basis from where we go forward.

I've had one author submit an improved map already and have provided feedback on that. I've also had another person from outside the original team submit a map for me to review (which I've yet to do unfortunately).

By the end of next week I should have the PM evaluations going out. If not, then by the 31st. Apologies for the wait.
Joe

It's no problem Joe, I think the 31st sounds reasonable to me. Did you notice my improvements/ (request for replacement of spaceport) I mentioned in one of the previous comments in this thread?

Okay the review is typed up (5 pages) and it will be sent out on Friday (August 2nd) after I go through it one more time. the team will receive the entire review as a whole instead of individually. (time saver honestly)

did this reboot end because of life happening, or is it still ongoing ?

anyways, my map "deathmatch prison" which has been edited by somebody during the first release, is free to be edited by anyone if they see fit, just do not steal it. :)

in the original wad it should be m16.

FireFish said:

did this reboot end because of life happening, or is it still ongoing ?

anyways, my map "deathmatch prison" which has been edited by somebody during the first release, is free to be edited by anyone if they see fit, just do not steal it. :)

in the original wad it should be m16.

This project is still ongoing.

doomguy93 said:

This project is still ongoing lol don't worry

citation needed.

It's still ongoing; currently it's in the "rework" phase before maps begin to be cut and new maps are to be considered. Everyone should have received my review of what needed changing; map authors unwilling to edit their maps any further shall be cut. Map authors can, as Firefish just did, authorize their map to be edited by another (myself or someone else who's experienced) to keep it within the project and moving forward towards a high quality release.
Changes are due by Sept. 2nd since the reviews were sent out on August 2nd.

Joe Pallai

Roughly in the same state as it was 5 weeks ago; only 4 to 5 mappers responded to the critique with the latest one being a day ago. I'm wondering if I sent it out to everyone. At any rate; there are about 4 maps that I can think of that need to be cut outright. The rest I'd like to keep and salvage as much as possible. Now that my review for my job is written I should be able to refocus on this.

i have read the reviews which i recently discovered in my pm inbox,
which i will now ignore completely.

My map has been after-edited by somebody spending his time giving it the extra "zing" which it missed because the previous management liked it, thus you are commenting on many of the things that another person added to complete the map.

Know that most people including me probably mapped for years, and that there is no such thing as a map that is one hundred percent fitting for all. some of the comments i read about other maps where directly related to getting them to change parts of their own mapping style.

I literally do not give one rats ass about what people think about what i made,so please do not misunderstand this.

i just think that it might scare away others from making more maps for this project. And that might lead to it being doomed from the start.

Deathmatch mapping is not like singleplayer mapping. Singleplayer mappers get off with a lot because of "taste" but a bad deathmatch map is a bad deathmatch map. Talk to people in the multiplayer community before you get all defensive.

EDIT: also, don't feel the need to make a full megawad if a lot of people end up not pulling through. Several great DM wads are around 10 maps in length. Quality>quantity.

lol, you missed the "do not misunderstand this" part.

i have no intention to flame or be defensive, i was expressing a concern about a possible reason why people seem to abandon this so fast, while comparing this to the high amount of activity on the original thread.

Well in any case, if people are scared off by quality control then it's best they don't contribute because it's highly like they'll be asked to address issues. It may sound coarse but if your DM wad sucks then nobody's going to play it more than once for a laugh maybe.

DM maps aren't meant to be a showcase for pretty architecture or mishmashed concepts. A good DM map is all about PvP competition. You need a good bit of fine tuning to appeal to a playerbase that already have stuff like greenwar\lazarus\the udm series.