Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

Brotherhood of Ruin - The Lost Temple RELEASED!!!

UPDATE 10-2-13

Hi guys! I have been working on the map some more recently and it's getting closer. It has just crossed the 20,000 linedef mark. Can't say when it'll be done but I'd say in this year anyway. :)

Here's some eye candy like promised last time:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/929/screenshotdoom201302091.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/929/screenshotdoom201302091.png

Have a good one,

Kristian

UPDATE 23-7-13

Hi guys!

I'm working on the final area of the map. It's getting closer... Next update will be about the release! I'd estimate that it's done in 1-2 months from now :)

Have a great day everyone!

-Kristian

UPDATE 9-8-13

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to say that the level layout is now completed! I'm doing final gameplay balancing over the weekend and will release it within a week! After three years of work it's finally done!

Watch this thread for the release!

-Kristian

Wow, from just looking at the two most recent screens, I'm am so hyped for the release ^^

The level sound interresting and I will definitely play it when it comes out.

Awesome experience! No doubt you are talented a lot. Visually it's great - the "details" like that you see a pyramid in the background while wandering in an otherwise unsignificant outdoor area, adds to the atmosphere. And the music specially, it's great.

I like the textures, how they are rusty and look so good when used in the semi-darkness, which is frequent in the whole map.

Gameplay is fine, it's actually a Doom gameplay, even with the new monsters. It felt quite easy compared to BoR 1, at least early on - I first time died after the yellow door. You see, I always happen to die a lot, mostly from trivial mistakes. But the difficulty of this map was comfortable with me, there were no unfair archvile or cyberdemon encounters often used in maps nowadays to spice things up. I felt satisfied when I was able to relatively easily blow up even the bosses. (I didn't even let the final spider shoot very much, but I did notice his arsenal was deadly, apparently even a BFG!)

The only thing that I wasn't keen on were the switches. They have the same problem as switches in BoR 1: They're often very easy to overlook, or you don't even recognize them as switches. The worst is the switch that raises yellow-marked bars, I wandered around the whole map before I found out I have to press that wall. Other trouble were three switches in the soulsphere pyramid, as I found one, swtiched it, and only by luck I later returned to the pyramid and found the other two. Maybe it's just that I don't know Hexen or the game where they were taken from. Anyway I would have appreciated if switches had borders (silver, gold or other) and/or were a little highlighted.

But overall I enjoyed a lot, and switches aren't enough of a reason to not give 5 stars rating, since it just looks and plays that great. Good job.

Will there be new titlepic?

I didn't have any problems with switches except for the first one, but at that time the playing area was small enough to not get completely lost. :)
One thing I thought was silly was when I pressed a switch in this area and a bunch of monsters teleported in, but some of them were looking in the opposite direction and noticed me only after I made some noise. Also, I was kind of hoping for a new midi... But anyway, it's a good and very faithful sequel. Nice work!
Oh, and I wonder if some people will complain about impassable slopes. Seems like if you're not careful, you can get stuck on them and catch the cyber's rocket. :)

I expected for something way bigger and longer compared to the amount of time we had to wait for it...still awesome anyway! =)

I think it came quite good in that time, when taken into account the tremendous amount of work I did with my music album which will be out from Belgian record label Suntrip Records in late Semptember, 30-40 music gigs every year + a regular daytime job 3-4 times a week + the occasional studies in open university. So I used whatever spare time I had for it according to my strength. Not so much free time as I'm a busy man involved in a multitude of different things.

Anyway, this might be my last one but it's safe to say that never say never... :D

Fun stuff as always. The difficulty progression felt realistic as one went from pistol v. zombie to revs 'n archies on up to cybies as the map went on. That's a small thing that I've always appreciated in wads. The aesthetics are generally very pleasing to the eye. Normally, I'd complain about how orthogonal everything is, but given the setting, this is more than excusable. The ruin theme seems to lend itself to your style of mapping.

Overall, it's grade A work NK. Here's to hoping it isn't the last one you produce.

A fantastic conclusion to one of my top 10 favorite level sets; brilliant use of a theme creating an alternate doom universe. Excellent pacing and great use of zdoom features to create an impressive environment. Great work Kristian!

Truly one of the best one-map things I've ever played. Speaks for its author as usual.

Very good map, good progression from pistoling zombies and imps to using rockets/BFG on the big bosses. Good use of detailing, enough to make the map look pretty without being too busy or in the way of the gameplay. One exception: I kept constantly getting stuck on the dirt piles in the cyberdemon area. Also agree with Memfis that the HK/Revs that spawn in the room with the lit pillar tend to spawn facing away from the player, which is kinda silly. Aside from that though, pretty fun. Fairly easy (I died once early on because I wasn't paying attention to a Hell Knight, and died once or twice to the Spider) but I think the difficult is at a good place. And I love the intermission text.