Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

probably because of how many samples in its soundtrack was played back at low octaves. it's easy to make dark ambient music this way, but i have little skill with composing such tracks, so i'm not much of help in that regard.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here's a very WIP track for MAP28

After a quick PM exchange with Death Egg, project lead has been transferred to me; this changes very little in the grand scheme of things (because we're almost done), so just continue on with the conversions/remakes and stuff and let's try to get this finished before the year's out.

Not that I'm putting any deadline on this, fuck pressure.

Stuff that you probably already figured out:
The DeHackEd patch by Obsidian will not be used, at least not for this initial project. If someone really wants to later on go ahead and mess around changing everything so that the patch can be used, you can follow these steps:

1) Wait until the project's finished, because bugfixes.
2) Make another topic.

We're still using resources from Doom2.wad only. I'd been tempted so many times to add some new textures, but it's actually not necessary. Besides which we're too far in now anyway.

Music. Oh god music. We need to reach some sort of ideal on this one, personally I think we should go the route of (Ultimate) Doom and have a blend of styles if possible, and not down Doom II's road of almost everything being samey, uninspired background elevator music. As for the tracks themselves, I think a completely original soundtrack is a bit much to ask for (unless everyone suddenly gets interested), so music from other IWADs wouldn't be a bad thing.

Well that's that. Get back to work, slaves.

BaronOfStuff said:

We're still using resources from Doom2.wad only.

What about The Void?

Get back to work, slaves.

Wait 'till we pit the labor union against you.

BaronOfStuff said:

Music. Oh god music. We need to reach some sort of ideal on this one, personally I think we should go the route of (Ultimate) Doom and have a blend of styles if possible, and not down Doom II's road of almost everything being samey, uninspired background elevator music.

Man I just love how similar and uninspired D_IN_CITY and D_TENSE are or D_MESSAGE and D_DOOM or D_OPENIN or... well ALL OF DOOM 2's soundtrack.

My tuppence worth on the music discussion: If this is meant to be Doom 64 in the Doom2 colour scheme shouldn't the music be ambient like Doom 64? Without the ambient music Doom 64 feels like a very different beast. You've already changed the textures and lighting if the music goes I fear it will just be another WAD...

Guest DILDOMASTER666

MAP02 early WIP unless you guys really give that little a shit or my music is so bad it's not even worth anyone's attention, either way I tried

Also:

Da Werecat said:

What about The Void?

In The Void only uses one single new texture and one single new flat because otherwise the map was simply not possible to be ported faithfully. I literally had no choice.

BaronOfStuff said:

After a quick PM exchange with Death Egg, project lead has been transferred to me.

o_O Of all people xD

All hail the glorious new dictator.

Baron's pretty good for the new project leader if you ask me, probably the best fit out of the D64ID2 mappers.

Thanks for keeping the patch's possible future use open btw.

I started on Dark Entries today. I've gotten quite a bit done, it's not a very big map, but there's a lot of macro stuff that is impossible to recreate in vanilla, for instance, the homing fireball launchers in the first area, and the soul-sphere/blue key puzzle. I'm going to have to figure out some alternative solutions to these.

Anyway, here's some screens:

http://imgur.com/a/csV5E

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Hey, looking good, Megalyth.I appreciate that you used STONE3 properly, and the entry room looks good but I think the effect would be better with a different sky than the stock SKY1. Nice and foreboding.

Also, if nobody has taken MAP02 yet I can try my hand at rigging up the more complex stuff. Perhaps we can collab if someone wants?

Fisk said:

I think the effect would be better with a different sky than the stock SKY1.

As far as I know, there are sky replacements made (or being made) for this project, I just don't have them on hand. It will look much better with a hellish sky, or even just a starry night sky.

I added a work-in-progress shot of the blue key room at http://imgur.com/a/csV5E. This room still needs lighting and texture work, and of course, a replacement puzzle of some kind.

Another snapshot of Breakdown - physically it's nearly done. Next step is the logic and then testing.
I will use Doombuilder64 to accelerate progress.
There will be some new monster ambushes and secrets here and there to add some surprise to the conversion.

I'm finished with the architecture and texturing (aside from the inevitable tweaks). I just need to implement the rest of the functionality, finish thing placement, and do a bit of lighting work.

I've added another screenshot here.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

That last screenshot is sick as hell. Nice work

Wow, those linedef screenshots are impressive on their own.

i was constantly thinking "is this even possible" until i realized that the interpolated middle line on the linedefs make it extra busy on those map overviews, and that chocolate doom will run this.

even the in game screenshots, WOW.

FireFish said:

the interpolated middle line on the linedefs make it extra busy on those map overviews

Slade3 can generate simple, clean overview shots such as this, cutting down on visual clutter. Load your map, and in the Entries list, select the map entry, which should be named something like MAP01 (or MAP20 in Bruce's case). The window to the right should now display the map overview, and above it, there is a button labeled "Save Map Image".

He lives!

Theres some strong support for this being reconverted for PSX in the Lost Levels thread, once its done.

Sorry for the lax of updates on my map guys, but I'll be sure to make some progress with Dark Citadel sometime soon.

I think it's a neat idea to compose a MIDI soundtrack for this with PSX-style music instead of relying on the original PSX tracks yet again. We have had that with the PSX TC already (and I think Doom64 EX kinda uses them, too) and it shouldn't be overused. Besides that, it's bloating the whole pack considerably.

Fisk's WIP track for MAP28 sounds nice already. Don't you guys give up on this! ^^

Doom 64 doesnt use the PSX soundtrack, it has its very own exclusive soundtrack. And I highly doubt this project will use that soundtrack, as its nothing like Doom 2.

I think it's a neat idea to compose a MIDI soundtrack for this with PSX-style music instead of relying on the original PSX tracks yet again.

Yeah, good luck with that. Without new instrument patches or a soundfont, such things just aren't possible. And last time I checked, there's no real way to get vanilla Doom to use a custom soundfont exclusively. By all means I'm in favour of putting in the odd relatively creepy (or should I say atmospheric) track or so -- think along the lines of E1M5, E2M4, etc. -- but generally speaking there are going to be more 'conventional' music themes in this.

Doom 64 doesnt use the PSX soundtrack, it has its very own exclusive soundtrack.

Yes, and no. Some of the melodies in Doom 64 are very recognisably taken from PSX Doom, they just use different instruments.