Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

Do you actually play "on 100%"?

While looking around options in PrBoom-plus, I noticed there's an option on the 2nd page of General section, called "Game speed: percentage of normal". What catched my attention was that the default value was 90%. I always thought PrBoom was somehow slower than ZDoom or even vanilla, now I see why. (I already set it to 100.)

I put this in the "Demos" forum and not "Source ports" because I'd like to primarily ask demo recorders, as many of you, including the prominent ones, do use PrBoom(-plus) for recording. And the value of "Game speed" certainly seems to not being saved in demos. Demos recorded in 90% speed percentage can be succesfully replayed with any speed, at least it followed from my tests.

I can imagine that a game speed value of lower than 100 *could* make the playing slightly easier. So I'd like to ask you to check the speed percentage value used by your (any) sourceport, and tell if you're using 100% or less by default, and your opinion how much influence may it have to gameplay.

In PrBoom-plus it's located at: OPTIONS-GENERAL-page2 ;)

I just downloaded PrBoom+ from here, added ONLY doom2.wad (no personal preferences), and no, the default is 100, as it should be.

Recording with speeds other than 100 is considering cheating, unless you mention that in the .txt; such demos are marked as TAS, even if no other "cheating" features were used.

Actually, the default speed is 100, but you can change it with buttons -, + and * on your numpad. Minus decreases speed, plus increases speed and asterisk makes your speed on default 100.
You can see speed of game in the enhanced HUD.

Ah, I see. Thank you vdgg and Archi, your two posts perfectly explained it all for me. I must have accidentaly changed some settings during my first days of PrBoom usage. And knowing it's considered cheating, that pretty much invalidates my thread question. OK then, sorry for the confusion I may have made.

So if one can see the speed in the enhanced HUD, like any other integer (e.g. Health, ammo, etc.), I guess that makes it pretty easy to detect this form of 'cheating,' correct?

Actually that isn't the case. The game speed reflects the value at which the demo is being played back to you and not the value at which it was recorded.

I can think of an analytical way to imply slo-mo usage via uncharacteristic mouse turns, but 90% might not be enough of a difference to detect it.