Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valkhorn

Let's Play Doom and Doom II (and other WADs)

I've been a fan of Doom and Doom II since they came out in 1993. I think the first time I played it must have been on an old Tandy 486 at Radio Shack in my local mall. I was amazed. I soon got the shareware version, bought the registered version, and stuck with the games through Heretic, Hexen, and Quake.

So, naturally, as I started watching Let's Play videos on YouTube, I was amazed to find that there weren't a lot of Let's Plays for Doom or Doom II which not only had clear narration, but also discussed every secret, found every enemy, and even showed off known bugs and glitches in each level.

That's where my project began. Last week I started a Let's Play series on Youtube where I played through the entire three episode version of Doom - getting 100% kills and 100% secrets on UV mode. It's gotten some subscribers and some positive feedback, but I don't know why I didn't think to mention it here. I've lurked here a lot, but never registered, and figured why not mention it.

Currently, I'm doing a Let's Play of Doom II and I welcome feedback and comments on my progress. I plan on uploading 1 or 2 maps each night and right now I'm at Map 13 - Downtown.

Here is my Playlist for Doom:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04rm6qaFHAdcencwRbuptEI2g_pyIvW8

And Doom II: (it's still in progress)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04rm6qaFHAdFEHGv493tgMjio3Q46LDi

All videos are divided up typically by level (or two videos per level). I do not fly through the levels, and show the map often so that the viewer knows where everything is. Speed runs are great, but they don't serve as a really good walkthrough or strategy guide.

I'm using the ZDoom port for mouselook and wasd - and it gives a nice monster/secret count for the viewer.

If anyone is interested in watching, giving comments, or feedback I openly welcome it in this thread. I'm new to LPing and I'm rusty with Doom, but I get by, so I'm still testing out the waters a bit.

ALSO

I plan on doing some WADs that have never been LPed before as far as I'm aware - including my favorite, Michael Kelsey's Return to Phobos. It's an amazing WAD pack which deserves recognition. I have a beta video of that if anyone wants to take a look:

(This is unlisted so this is top secret content on my channel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edGG-7wS7Cw

I may do other non DOOM games in the future, but there's so much to LP for Doom and so many great WADS to LP that there's plenty of content for me to create. I'm having so much fun making LPs, that I'd like this to continue long after Doom II is complete.

If anyone is following this thread, I uploaded Maps 7 and 8 yesterday. Maps 9 and 10 will be online very soon.

One highlight of Map 9 is that I ran VERY low on ammo and health and had to really get creative in Map 10 (meaning I had to run as fast as I could towards a MegaSphere on the other side of the map).

Plus, I'm not sure if it's a bug of the ZDoom port, but there were about 100 Lost Souls spawned in this map, making the enemy total close to 400.

Here's proof:

Here are the videos for Maps 9 and 10:

Map 09: The Pit
http://youtu.be/N6eGVC6xYKI

Map 10: Refueling Base: (Video is queued for processing but shouldn't take long)
http://youtu.be/rUFYtqKswuQ

Again, if anyone has any comments or constructive criticism please let me know. I'm hoping I'm doing this game justice since I'm not a speed runner - but I am a true fan of the game.

Heh, the original limit for Lost Souls was about 21 in the original game, so if you're using ZDoom you might want to switch on that option in the Gameplay Options. :)

Possibly, I didn't even think of that option nor was I aware of it. I wondered why they were spitting out so many Lost Souls....

But this way is more fun... :)

Also I did a test of the Inmost Dens and got 83/84 kills, yet no enemies remained. I think the Arch-Vile is messing up my kill count even though I think I got him quickly enough so he didn't resurrect anyone. I'd hate to end the level with 98% kills but if it ends up that way I'll explain that there weren't any enemies left to kill.

Ragnor said:

I always, ALWAYS, run critically low on ammo and health etc on Refueling Base, part of why I love that map.

That was a real risk esp. going INTO the level with low ammo and low health. I tried about 5 different routes - and finished the map one way but it took about 45 minutes and I still wasn't done. So after studying the map some I decided to gun for the MegaSphere at the end of the map, then run all the way back hoping the monsters were stirred up enough to start killing themselves off.

The good thing is that levels 11 through 14 have been pretty easy compared to levels 9 and 10. All that will change with level 15 though. That might end up being a 30 minute video that I may have to break into two parts.

EDIT:
Also, thanks for you guys responding and hopefully watching. Two of my videos got front paged on a video link site and I've gotten a ton of negative likes from that. They just didn't like Let's Plays or thought the game was 'too old'.

I still want to do some WAD packs (including the Eternity trilogy) so as my project expands I welcome all requests and comments and suggestions.

I want these videos to be for the DOOM fans.

Here's an update...

I beta tested [my recording of] The Industrial Zone a few times and I'm going to have to break it into two parts. I'm taking my time with it just because there's so much to show off. At this pace, the only other large level that I may have to break apart will be Map 29 for obvious reasons - but who knows. Looking forward, The next two secret levels may be short-ish, but I'm not sure how long it'll take to get rid of all the enemies in The Suburbs.

Also, I recorded The Inmost Dens and will not be able to get 100% kills. There's some bug in my version of ZDoom where one enemy does not show up. I noclipped across every thing in my testing and nothing showed up as a living monster. Since this bug is repeatible, and not solvable without cheats, I left it in.

The latest episodes are available online:

Map 11: Circle of Destruction:

http://youtu.be/RhwX6Ox0IUs

Map 12: The Factory:

http://youtu.be/Vuc0SmJN-Dk

Feel free to like, comment, etc. Also, if you feel like disliking and have ANY reason - don't be afraid to tell me why. I thrive on constructive criticism so that my LPs will get better.

Thanks!

Also, I'll take request for WADs for future LPs once I'm done with this game and Return to Phobos.

Obsidian said:

"Beta tested?" That implies you were helping out John Romero with it in 1994. Surely not? :P

Har har har. I should clarify... beta tested making the videos :)

By the way, I've recorded Map 15 in two parts - and in order to get 100% secrets I had to use no clip - but I explained why and only did it to prove a bug in the level. Gameplay isn't effected much if you leave that secret off - but I know if I don't do it people will not believe me and claim I'm cutting a corner or something.

EDIT: I corrected my post to make it abundantly clear. *AHEM*

:) :) :)

Map 13 - Downtown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvpAG1hOURU

Map 14 - The Inmost Dens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7KLJ5lf3o

Map 13 was pretty easy to do with a little practice to see what run I wanted to take - although a Mancubus didn't teleport in like it did last time so I walk into a room a little overzealously.

Map 14 was not 100% kills. For some reason, every time I played through the level, an enemy never showed up and I never figured out why. I did a final offscreen walk through the entire level with noclip and didn't find anything I hadn't killed. Either it was a very errant/stuck Lost Soul, or the Arch Vile screwed up something.

Oh well, enjoy!

This is probably too much to ask, but I'd like to see this continue on through all the official Classic Doom products (Master Levels, Final Doom, No Rest for the Living and Doom 64)

Ragnor said:

This is probably too much to ask, but I'd like to see this continue on through all the official Classic Doom products (Master Levels, Final Doom, No Rest for the Living and Doom 64)

Nothing is too much to ask - but it can become too much to do :)

Final Doom and The Master Levels are a possibility. Doom 64 I'm not so sure about because I'm not sure how I can play it as comfortably as I can with the mouse and keyboard.

I also have plans of doing Hexen and Heretic, too - along with a few wad packs. So my schedule is getting full.

I'm also wanting to do non Doom games as well (sorry if that disappoints you all) for my LPs, so that makes the list even longer. There are two 90s RPGs that have never had a LP before and I want to also do them - and they are LONG games.

The only thing out of the list you mentioned I wouldn't enjoy is Doom 64 - but that'll be a what if at this point. I'll have to give it a few tries first.

Ever thought of tackling TNT:Evilution and the Plutonia Experiment? (I also need to do those at some point!)

Nice to see more Doom LP's out there in 2013, perhaps we can start making Doom LP's stupidly popular.

Suitepee said:

Ever thought of tackling TNT:Evilution and the Plutonia Experiment? (I also need to do those at some point!)

Nice to see more Doom LP's out there in 2013, perhaps we can start making Doom LP's stupidly popular.

That's a possible, as well.

As a side story...

I went around just for kicks to see LPs of the final level of Doom II: Icon of Sin - and it AMAZES me how many people don't even bother to show off the head of Romero. Popular LPs, too. Ones with a ton of traffic. I feel like a lot of people are missing out on some really neat aspects of the game.

Episodes 15 and 16 are now online - both cover Map 15: The Industrial Zone:

I spend over 30 minutes in this level, but it's my absolute favorite level in the game (apart from Map 29 and 19). I do have to use the clipping cheat code to get 100% secrets, but I do it to prove a point and to show off a bug in the game. Hey, I want a 100% run as much as possible.

I also may go back to Map 14 when the LP is over to see if I can figure out what's going on in the monster count on ZDoom.

Also, if I did a side LP of Heretic and Hexen, would anyone here be interested?

Suitepee said:

I'd like to do them one day. Perhaps juggle IWADs and Old Megawad club playthroughs until I catch up with them. If only time were limitless...

Roderick-Spiral said:

yeah i'd love to see let's plays of Heretic and Hexen

Great. It's already on the agenda. By the way, I'm also thinking about a full LP of the Mario games from the first game to Super Mario World as well, but that's not Doom related ;)

Eris Falling said:

I'd like to do them one day. Perhaps juggle IWADs and Old Megawad club playthroughs until I catch up with them. If only time were limitless...

Has anyone ever done a co-op LP? That might be interesting.

Ragnor said:

I dont think anyone likes Map 21.

It's well designed in principal (a single area where you can keep going back for health), but in practice it's awful. There are too many tight spaces to fight enemies, a buggy 'run' switch, and the 'nirvana' that you return to only has one shotgun, so running out of ammo is a real problem.

Chasm is also a love it or hate it level, but with mouselook the walls aren't so terrible to navigate. I made a boat load of mistakes on my practice runs and so that ep is going to have a bit of cuts and editing, but it works.

I'm at Bloodfalls right now. I'm not fond of it either, but what can you do but grin and bear it.

Monster Condo to Living End should be fun though. Maybe.

Doing Doom64 or using the music will get your ass hammered with third party claims but I know I have personally emailed Aubrey on the subject but he said it is OK as long as you link to his Bandcamp or iTunes page where you can purchase the music.

I just stopped using the music altogether because I don't want to hassle with third party claims at all.

Mr. Chris said:

Doing Doom64 or using the music will get your ass hammered with third party claims but I know I have personally emailed Aubrey on the subject but he said it is OK as long as you link to his Bandcamp or iTunes page where you can purchase the music.

I just stopped using the music altogether because I don't want to hassle with third party claims at all.

Good to know for later. Thanks!

Also... update time...

I finish off Map 19: The Citadel

http://youtu.be/q6DhPu-A-UM

And I take on Map 20: Gotcha!

http://youtu.be/w35KZOrxrWA

There's a lot of 'humor' in Map 20, especially when I completely forget about something, end up with awkward silence, and have to fill it with something.