Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MisriHalek

Can someone use model renders for sprites?

I was asking if it is allowed for this project to make models then rendering them into sprites for monsters that are not yet done.

Any method is allowed, as long as it is an original creation. What matters is the outcome.

One of the sprite sets was made with photos of a plasticine model, IIRC.

Guest Unregistered account

I've drawn a Doom-style monster on paper, but only his front frame - in pencil. I'm a bit lazy, you see. c :

MisriHalek said:

I was asking if it is allowed for this project to make models then rendering them into sprites for monsters that are not yet done.

Man, that's a really good idea. It probably wouldn't even be too difficult to whip up a macro to spin-render-save images of your model from each of the angles traditionally used in Doom-engine games. Then just repeat for each animation frame, and you've got your monster! Anyway, I'm not huge into 3D modeling, so maybe it's not as simple as all that, but it certainly sounds doable.

EDIT: Yeh, just looked it up. Blender, for instance, does macros. Hmm... HMMM...

MisriHalek said:

So, how can I get textures/skins for my model to be compatible for FreeDoom?

You have to draw them, or find someone else to draw them for you. But you can reuse any other Freedoom material (textures etc.) to do the skin.

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but I think you're asking how to make sure that a model skin would match Freedoom's palette. I think you would get better results to have a hi-resolution model skin, and to down-convert to the Freedoom palette in the rendered images. In either case, you will probably need to do some hand holding and pixel touch-up anyway, so there's little point in investing time to get the skin into the right palette prior to rendering.