Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

Bucket said:

I don't know, it seems like we were waiting for you to update a track, or give a concrete "pass" on it.
I have nothing to add to the project.

Well, I did say the one I was working on probably wouldn't end up replacing Scarlet Citadel anyway. I ended up not even finishing it. Guess it's my fault for letting that hang as long as I did, so I apologize for that. Only other issue that I can think of is whether or not dachauncinator has something to submit for Map23.

I think it's time we wrapped things up here and got something uploaded to /idgames. Given that there hasn't been any solid word or progress concerning the perhaps-outstanding tracks, I think it's ready as-is, in the form of its current beta.

I'd like to encourage everyone to download it and give their thoughts and critique on any particularly outstanding (in good or bad ways) tracks. I think we're at the stage where everything's pretty much ready to go, but changes can still be made. One thing I think I should do is go over all the tracks (once we're confident that they're all fine and don't need any more changes), and make note of the ones that still need volume balancing, to ensure there aren't still any extremely loud or quiet tracks. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

Yeah, nothing annoys me more than a track with all the levels turned up to 127. Other than that, I give it a pass.

The beta is great, and in some ways, I already refer to it as the final version. I'm fine with it going to /idgames.

It all works for me. Once you finish up the volume balancing (which Blood Rush's guitars might need in particular), I think the project's good to go. It'll be interesting to see the general response. It seems that most of the comments on it to date have come from people working on it.

Hellish Godzilla said:

Blood Rush

I know this is a really dickish thing so say so late in development, but I'm not proud of that song. As a song it works, me and my friend are using a vocalised, simplified version for our album (no we aren't, that's never going anywhere.)
I liked it in this project when I first did it, but that was before I did Cry of Desperation.

I have an extended version in my MIDI collection which basically loops through the Quake II and chorus again, repeating the outro, yay cool ending. That structure is used on my youtube upload of the half-assed techno version. Not that it's really going to help the issue. It's also 4m53s when brought down to 194BPM, which might be a problem.

If you guys are fine with the track, then that's cool, but if someone like Jimmy wants to speedmidi (heh) something else, I'm fine with that too.
Heh, the irony that Blood Rush isn't actually the fastest track in the WAD, from a tempo sense.
I have a 300BPM (or 1200 in 4/16 time) alternative ;) (I'm joking)

Eh, except for maybe the volume levels, there's nothing wrong with Blood Rush as it is. It's a solid, fun, DragonForce-esque track that fits in well with the rest of the collection. If you're very eager to see it jettisoned, I may be able to come up with a replacement. I worked on one of my unfinished MIDI's for the hell of it last night. Otherwise, I really think that Blood Rush can stay put.

Well, if everyone agrees, that's fine with me.
I'm also posting to say that I'm currently listening to Plurry. Bucket should do a horror movie.

Blood Rush needs a bit of volume correction still, yes, which I'll take care of - but I do like the song overall, and think it can stay. I don't mind it being kinda Dragonforcey, it works well enough as a track. :)

I have some feedback.

• The Plutonia MIDI Pack is an amazing collection of MIDIs, and I highly recommend it to everyone. Every author is exceptionally talented, especially that guy who did MAP31's music - Aries Thölin - North of the North Pole

• Brilliant! I'll never play Plutonia with the original soundtrack again! - Discordance - The ZDoom Forums

• absolut rubish, wose then mi speling 0000/5 - Anonymous idgames reviewer - Doomworld/idgames
Seriously, it was good to go from its beta release. IMHO it's getting less attention than it deserves really.

Eris Falling said:

I have some feedback.
IMHO it's getting less attention than it deserves really.

This.

It's now my go-to music WAD for new MegaWADs that don't have replacements -- I played both 100Lines with this, and it was great; especially for the traditional one, which it fit like a glove.

I will play Plutonia with it, I swear. :)

Eris Falling said:

I have some feedback.

• The Plutonia MIDI Pack is an amazing collection of MIDIs, and I highly recommend it to everyone. Every author is exceptionally talented, especially that guy who did MAP31's music - Aries Thölin - North of the North Pole

• Brilliant! I'll never play Plutonia with the original soundtrack again! - Discordance - The ZDoom Forums

• absolut rubish, wose then mi speling 0000/5 - Anonymous idgames reviewer - Doomworld/idgames

"All the composers are good except for Hellish Godzilla." - impending /Newstuff Chronicles review

But no, everything's sounding fine to me. It seems some of the transitions between parts in Scarlet Citadel are a little more abrupt than they were before. I'm not bugged by that; I just thought it was an interesting change.

thanks to all who have worked on this. most midis are close to the original style and complement their maps well. plutonia is still one great episode and deserves this pack.

This is great! I wish I would have participated. :( It's cool to see so many doomers and mappers who are also musicians.

No worries, I feel like there should be more musical projects held on the forums like this, and I'll be putting another one up in due course, as soon as I've thought of a good concept. :)

Jimmy said:

No worries, I feel like there should be more musical projects held on the forums like this, and I'll be putting another one up in due course, as soon as I've thought of a good concept. :)

I'm not sure whose idea it was, but wasn't there an idea bounced around for some kind of Doom Fantasia a few years ago? I think it went that you'd take (or be given) a MIDI and then build a map inspired by or to match it. There might be something worthwhile there. Just a random thought.

Good music set! Though, I couldn't really feel the coherence. I mean, all the music were too different than the others. :/

Katamori said:

I mean, all the music were too different than the others. :/

Could you expand on this if possible? To me, that's no different than vanilla Plutonia having both E2M2 and E1M1's music.

Also, shameless plugging and crossposting to Youtube uploads of my songs. Because I can.

EDIT: And I'd guess this appears on idgames on the 6th?

Really happy to see this on the database, great MIDI's here and a lot of effort all in all :)

It really completes that "full expansion" feel like TNT did!

I like the sounds of these MIDIS, I'll be using some for my project; good work guys! :-)

Holy cow, it's on /idgames already? I need to get with the times. Thanks, Jimmy for letting me take part in this project!

Ratings-wise, it's faring really well on /idgames, even a bit better than I'd anticipated. Thanks for all the work you've done, Jimmy. Obviously I have more to learn, but the project's been a fun challenge for me. I'd be pleased to help work on another one at some point.

This stuff is totally amazing, folks. Plutonia has never been more fun than with this new soundtrack!

I was wondering if something similar could be done for TNT. Since only a few tracks were used from the original Doom II soundtrack, not that many replacements would be needed, I guess. Unless the music TeamTNT provided could also be remade (at least one music lump was broken anyway IIRC).

NightFright said:

Unless the music TeamTNT provided could also be remade (at least one music lump was broken anyway IIRC).

It should nonetheless play back correctly on all current source ports, though. The issue responsible for the problem has been identified, thoroughly documented, and addressed in at least Choco, Eternity, PrB+, and ZDoom as far as I know. Other ports may lift the fix from any of them if they are still lacking it.