Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

Remember if Alfonzo says something is almost ready, you need to figure at least 3 more weeks.

I'm not sure I can keep an erection for that long, but I'll try.

Say, has Borderlands changed at all? It was the only map I didn't love.

Ok, guys, sorry for little feedback recently, I was busy with real life, and one of the USB sockets in my laptop fucked up, so I was forced to choose between the modem and the mouse - clearly playing on a touchpad isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, neither is not being connected to the internet at any given time.

I'll play through this another time now. Some I believe valid feedback has already been given by me, I'll try to improve on it this time around.

Anyway, I get the impression that so much time has already passed since the beginning of the beta that one could easily muster another 30 levels. What are you guys waiting for? :D

About map20:

- what about making line 146 the same as line 148, to help prevent linedef skipping? (happened to me in an fda)

- I said before that I think the acid is screaming for a cyber, so what about making one teleport in after you press line 811, but only if the player has already pressed line 1494 in the bfg secret?

In the final version and that MP cyber is how Romero would have used it.

Oh, the secret levels, you say Tarnsman? I thought these were ready since day one and only withheld from the beta on purpose O_o

No those have never been ready. Unless you count levels that are 15% done as a ready.

A bit of both actually. Map32 was a lot further along than 31 but it was decided that they be withheld to not ruin the surprise factor.

at least i remember something to this effect, and it makes sense to me to do so

Level 16: Cul-de-sac

Once you make it to the ledge leading to the exit, it seems you're trapped on it and can't go back. Usually it's possible to backtrack all the way back to the beginning in Doom levels. There should be some way to go back, or some kind of warning beforehand.

Level 19: Bedlam

Make sure to double check all the sectors in the lava pit room, some of them seem to do no damage.

>> D2TWiD Final Beta <<

ALERT!: The D2TWiD Final Beta has been updated to fix an egregious error! If you downloaded the beta before the time of this edit (10-02-13 at 04:56), you might want to do so again.

After much tweaking of maps and hauling of backside, D2TWiD is finally ready for release. Well, almost. This is the second and last beta for the project, and offers an almost identical experience to the one you can expect come the actual, finished product (If you've been postponing your playthrough of the game until final release, this might as well be the real deal. Play it now!). Here's a run down of the changes from the first beta:

• Support3!
  • Secret maps included!
  • Skill settings, co-op settings and deathmatch support added (except map21).
  • Innumerable changes to existing maps in response to feedback, and in further search of authenticity.
  • 0, 0!
Over the next few days or so we'll be putting the finishing touches on the product (par times, microbugs, demos etc.), and so if you could positively drown us in feedback, that'd be swell.

Cool! And map31 is awesome! BUT, one would think ID would have included the map#'s on the automap. Yeah, yeah, two maps get their last character chopped off if you include two numbers and a space before the map name, but there's no way ID wouldn't have included the numbers. I actually don't care what ID would have done, it just really bugs me when there are no map#'s on the automap.

There will certainly be a number of tutti fruity effects that fall under the Leave It In™ policy. This, by the looks of it, is not one of them.

EDIT: Ah, it's our old friend Pointer 347! Part of an old experiment to trigger a door effect upon the spiderdemon's death. I thought it was absent from this version but it somehow wormed its way back in! The link has been updated, so if you downloaded the beta before the time of this edit, you might want to do so again.

Alright, gonna launch this baby now!

I should be writing an essay now, but fuck it. There are important things and more important things :D

Here are some things I found while testing d2twid_e6:

- = Not really a problem.
? = Unsure if this is a problem.

MAP31 crashes vanilla doom.
DeHackEd says the patch has errors on lines 9, 10, 442.
The DeHackEd lump in the wad is different to the deh file.
Level 8 has a different name to the patch.

MAPS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 33
-Have Doombuilder starts.

MAP05
Deathmatch start (thing 218) on top of a lamp.

MAP06
Things 74, 75, 76, 97, 98 don't have skill flags.

MAP07
Has 2 player 2 starts, 2 player 3 starts and 2 player 4 starts.

MAP08
Deathmatch start (377) on top of Demon.
Deathmatch start (379) on top of Mancubus.

MAP12
Deathmatch start (110) on top of Cacodemon.

MAP13
-Reject is all zero and segs contain duplicate vertices.
?Lost soul 70 has no skill flags and is outside of map.
-Line 58 has an action that is not linked to any sector.

MAP14
Thing 343 has no skill flags.
Deathmatch start (372) on top of Spectre.
Deathmatch start (374) on top of Zombieman.

MAP15
Deathmatch start (6) on top of Cacodemon.
Deathmatch start (9) on top of Hell Knight.

MAP18
-Reject is all zero and segs contain duplicate vertices.

MAP19
Deathmatch start (9) on top of Mancubus.
-Lines 979, 980, 990, 9910 have actions but aren't linked to a sector.

MAP20
Deathmatch start (356) on top of Mancubus.

MAP21
Has no deathmatch starts.

MAP22
Deathmatch start (79) on top of Imp.
-Line 8 has action but is not linked to a sector.

MAP24
Things 25, 28, 29, 34, 312, 313 have no skill flags.
Lines 13 and 26 have actions but are not linked to sectors.
Line 316 has a W1 special but is a single sided line.

MAP25
Deathmatch start (428) on top of Mancubus.

MAP28
Deathmatch start (438) on top of Imp.
Deathmatch start (439) on top of Imp.
Deathmatch start (440) on top of Revenants.

MAP33
Deathmatch start (802) on top of Zombieman.
Deathmatch start (803) on top of Zombieman.

Whoa man, are the secret levels sweet! Although the super-evil music tracks present in the Wolfenstein secret levels are sorely missed, the new tracks are a wonderful, if totally different replacement. That said, level 32 is just plain evil! A nightmare... loved it.

So here's the issue - when I die to the denizens of these levels, I get obituaries suggesting they're other, more traditional Doom 2 monsters. Would it be possible to change the obituaries to more um... fitting ones? I have seen that random monsters in certain WADs do have totally new obituaries. Does that bother vanilla Doom though?

Vanilla Doom doesn't have obituaries, but it would be possible to replace those strings with more appropriate ones in the ZDooms and some other supporting ports.