Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

GTA 5 will be out tomorrow, has 98% on metacritic

DooM_RO said:

Can you kill hipsters in this game?

YES. In fact, the character Trevor has very strong negative feelings towards them.

A major achievement of GTA V is the fact that everything is totally seamless; there isn't any loading between areas in the game. This makes me wonder, how amazing would other open-world games be if this became the standard. Again, I am looking forward to a Fallout 4, and the seamless-ness of GTA would really take the game to the level it needs to be.

Kontra Kommando said:

there isn't any loading between areas in the game. This makes me wonder, how amazing would other open-world games be if this became the standard.

It kinda already is. Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 (to name a few) have no area loading, and they've been out for a few years now.

DooM_RO said:

The PC elitist in me is fuming with rage. This game should be enjoyed at a constant 60 FPS, 1080p resolution and at least 2k textures.

I know how you feel. Rockstar hates us PC gamers for some reason. I heard the studio that made RDR got one of their games massively pirated back in the day which is why they refuse to release to PC ever again, and it's also the reason Rockstar in general makes late PC releases which are shitty ports. At any rate, it's annoying that you have to play such a nice looking game on old systems with issues. I saw a video earlier today of someone's plane suddenly exploding in midair and them dying and failing a mission because of a tree that hadn't loaded.

That being said, I've been playing the fuck out of SA, and finally made it to Las Venturas and I have to say I LOVE the sheer size of the map in this game. That's a selling point alone, and the fact that the GTA V map is allegedly 3x the size makes me want to play it even more.

Also, I went back and played some more SR3 and I can see some issues with it now. For one thing, the map is about as small as the one in GTA 3, which if really tiny. The open, countryside roads in SA are a big plus. Also, SR3 has worse AI than even SA which is kind of sad. Your homies can't jump fences or anything despite the player being able to which leads to leaving them behind a lot. I do have to say that the controls are better (since they actually developed it for the PC) and it's great that they give you access to all the areas first thing in the game. They're really different games for different tastes, all things considered.

To be honest, I don't think the GTAV map is bigger. It's more the scale of everything is more intricate. Los Santos itself is roughly as big as the GTA4 map, and the rest of the state/county/whatever is about two more GTA4s, so make of that what you will.

Nomad said:

To be honest, I don't think the GTAV map is bigger. It's more the scale of everything is more intricate. Los Santos itself is roughly as big as the GTA4 map, and the rest of the state/county/whatever is about two more GTA4s, so make of that what you will.

So it is bigger, but it isn't?

I don't know how to explain what I mean, and the more I think about it the more I can't make it make more sense. I tried looking up some comparisons and it doesn't help that none of them seem to be scaled right, in terms of actual distances. *shrug*

I have to say, I didn't expect great things from this, especially after that borefest GTAIV, but they actually managed to fix the gameplay problems it had. The character switching system contributes to this the most, not to mention that the missions are provided by the main characters themselves. I hope more game studios begin exploring character switching as a story-telling mechanism. The writing still has a few shortcomings but I'm willing to forgive it given how cool the dialogue is, and how ABSOLUTELY AMAZING the graphics are.

spank said:

The writing still has a few shortcomings but I'm willing to forgive it given how cool the dialogue is, and how ABSOLUTELY AMAZING the graphics are.

So far, I think its really hilarious,and the story is engaging.

Yeah it feels like a sitcom where each mission is a different episode. Very refreshing.

I would buy that for the laughs, but the $15 shipping and handling makes me say fuck no.

Nomad said:

Is it bigger compared to GTA:SA?

999cop said:

Is it bigger compared to GTA:SA?

I think GTA V has the second smallest map, next to Vice City. Nevertheless, there is still a ton of content; more so than San Andreas IMO. But the orignal San Andreas probably had the largest map. GTA V does not include the city that is supposed to be Las Vegas, or the desert.

I completed the last main mission before work this morning. I have to say, I really enjoyed playing this game.

Rockstar already confirmed before release GTA Vs map is the largest they have ever created. It's also been confirmed Los Santos in V is roughly the same size as Liberty City in IV.

The main differences is that San Andreas isn't casualized and has a larger map but looks very dull in a lot of areas.

Avoozl said:

The main differences is that San Andreas isn't casualized and has a larger map but looks very dull in a lot of areas.

How exactly it GTA 5 casualized? To be honest, Doom is a pretty casual game. Yes, yes only the dedicated few still play it but it's not exactly rocket science.

DooM_RO said:

Doom is a pretty casual game.

For it's time I beg to differ, Doom was far from casual around then and compaired to Wolf 3D it was more of an advancement.

Avoozl said:

For it's time I beg to differ, Doom was far from casual around then and compaired to Wolf 3D it was more of an advancement.

Did you know that Id put Nightmare in a patch because people thought UV was too easy?

GTA Online's police are a lot more challenging than in story mode. If you don't have a fast car, with four stars on you, your fate is pretty much sealed. Also, the penalty for dying is pretty steppe; usually a G. Story mode was excellent, but online is where its at. Skilled humans will always provide more of a challenge than an AI, in most cases.

DooM_RO said:

Did you know that Id put Nightmare in a patch because people thought UV was too easy?

I did not know that. I suppose that explains why if feels a little tacked-on.

It is definitely hard, though.

Do people want difficulty in a game like GTA? I always thought the appeal was fucking around/starring in your own action movie more then the 'are you a bad enough dude?' factor.

Hell, one of the things I love about the Saints Row games is doing all the side missions as soon as I can so that I complete the rest of the story being a near invincible mega bad ass with unlimited ammo and a attack helicopter on demand.

The Nightmare difficulty was pretty much a comedy setting that id added for laughs thinking nobody wold take it seriously.

Exactly, GTA was never a game with hardcore mechanics in the first place so it's a bit pointless to complain about semi-regenerating health.

Captain Red said:

The Nightmare difficulty was pretty much a comedy setting that id added for laughs thinking nobody wold take it seriously.

I've beaten Doom on UV, I never bothered to attempt it on Nightmare. I'm sure there are people who are out there that consider it a cake walk though.

DooM_RO said:

Exactly, GTA was never a game with hardcore mechanics in the first place so it's a bit pointless to complain about semi-regenerating health.

Me and my friend were playing the missions offered in online mode last night. We both agreed they are significantly more challenging than story mode. I think a lot of it also has to with do that our characters are still pretty green; our skills are still low. But modes like team deathmatch are pretty challenging and entertaining. You're required to take cover; hide; and try to creep around undetected. Me and my friend had to use a hammer and anvil tactic to kill these opposing players; it really was a fun time.

Me and my two other friends are trying level up to unlock snipers and machine guns. The plan is to fly around in a chopper looking for players with bounties on them, while the two other pick them off. We started a crew, composed of the three of us.