Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

KDiZD content questions.

Just running through KDiZD again. Fantastic effort. But there are some things that make me wonder.

Why did you (the dev team) use entirely new equivalents for things that could have easily been found in Doom 2? For example the Hell Knight was differently colored and used different sounds, the Chaingunner had a new model altogether and the Super Shotgun had a different (even cooler) model too.

I also greatly appreciated the nerf to the weapon, lengthening the reload time and widening the pellet spread - now only the best aimed shots inflict max damage. But I digress.

Ok, so about those monsters. You used them because using actual D2 resources would be copyright infringement? Because putting D2 stuff in D1 is actually impossible? Or because you just felt like it?

I seem to recall reading that KDiZD was originally meant to run with the Doom 2 IWAD, but the team got into a bit of a pickle with id, which I think temporarily ended up in the project being cancelled.
Also, I guess Doom 1 levels in Doom 2 probably was a contributing factor.

I liked how you really had to choose when to use the SSG over the normal SG.

But is it forbidden or impossible to use D2 stuff like say, Chaingunners and put them in a Doom 1 WAD?

Forbidden. And KDiZD was quite a large scale project, so it couldn't afford copyright infringement issues.

Technically, it certainly is possible.

As far as I'm aware, there was a bunch of forum drama over the IWAD resource mixing (which isn't legal, but admittedly has been done in a lot of large-scale projects, such as putting Doom1 and Plutonia textures in a Doom2 megawad). In response to the allegations, the team contacted Todd Hollenshead who confirmed that it was disallowed. After the initial panic, they decided to try creating custom/solely-Doom1-based replacements for all the ripped content.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up, Esselfortium. Some of the replaced content seems even superior to the original D2 stuff, so no big loss there. TSoZD and later also hopefully ZDoomFerno and Thy Flesh ZDoomed will get even more potential to play around with that new stuff I'm sure.