Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Gamespy's Doom 3 First Look

Not that I mind that the new game's a remake, but it seems really lame that they numbered it as if it was an actual sequel.

Well, some people are already moaning that Doom 3 will make newbies think of that when you talk about "Doom", so it would be even worse if both were called "Doom".

Besides, Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a retelling of the original Wolf 3D story, and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

BTW, is it just me, or do those screenshots remind you of the old Origin game Bioforge?

NiGHTMARE said:

Besides, Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a retelling of the original Wolf 3D story, and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

Yeah, but each time i mention "Wolfenstein" in a conversation, I'm very conscious of the fact that probably everyone misunderstands me.

Not that i do it all that often.

NiGHTMARE said:

Well, some people are already moaning that Doom 3 will make newbies think of that when you talk about "Doom", so it would be even worse if both were called "Doom".

BTW, is it just me, or do those screenshots remind you of the old Origin game Bioforge?

Why should people complain about RtCW being a retelling? At least it wasn't called "Wolfenstein III".
What I dislike about the title is that the title makes it look like it's a sequel, when in truth it's a retelling.

And about confusion: That's why I usually call RtCW for either "RtCW" or simply "Return" - I refer to Wolfenstein 3d as Wolf3d - simple, no confusion.

Beats me what they would call a sequel to Doom 3. Doom IV???

Well, it wasn't actually a return, was it? It was B.J.'s first visit, again.

Who cares if it's DOOM "3" or not... all I care about is getting thrilled by the game...

NiGHTMARE said:

Well the title "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" hints at the return to the castle at the end of the game - the climax. That's why I could better accept that name.

IT'S JUST A FUCKING TITLE DAMNIT!!!!! WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT IT AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T AFFECT GAMEPLAY?????

In truth, I like the idea of the retelling as well ;)

DSM IS A FUCKING MORONIC TURD ON THE BOTTOM OF MY BOOT THAT I WALK ON EVERY DAY

Yeah.

Get over it.

Bitch.

This just amuses me infinitely, though - how many people remember when I said they should just name it "Doom"? Eh? Eh? I was saying that, what a year ago? Eh?

I knew they were gonna do this a year ago.

Katarhyne said:

I knew they were gonna do this a year ago.

You're not the only one. I've been preaching about this for a long time.

NiGHTMARE said:

I think that was because you do return, at the end - even if not inside the Castle itself, I seem to recall the last section of RTCW is actually called "Return To Castle Wolfenstein"...

Well, To me DooM3 can't really be an "exact" retelling of DooM1 cuz 1st of all didn't the 1st DooM took place on MARS moons PHOBOS,DEIMOS and INFERNAL REGIONS? The new DooM3 take place soley on MARS. And according to the original 1 page synopsis, The hero was transferred to MARS and pretty much did nothing,(FOR HOW LONG? WHO KNOWS.) ie "WITH NO ACTION FOR 50 MILLION MILES, YOUR DAYS CONSISTS OF SUCKIN' DUST AND WATCHIN' RESTRICTED FLICKS IN THE REC ROOM." So right there, this deviates from the original storyline. For DOOM3 to be a "retelling" of the 1st, The hero(and the rest of the platoon) MUST go to PHOBOS and DEIMOS to answer the "DESTRESS CALL" made by the UAC corp. So calling D3 a retelling, is not the right word, How about a full "REMAKE" of the original would sound more like it. I mean look at the creatures. They show very little or no resembalance to their original sprite forms.(especially the DEMON,and that so called IMP!)I don't know what the hell are other creatures they showed in those pics,and movies. I'd hope they were "New Additions" to the original demon cast. But now I know that's not the case. Oh well,...I guess id is doing this so the story would have alot more visual depth, more detail, and make allittle more sence. Who knows, maybe the new D3 storyline will acually be more than 1 page this time.......Maybe it'll be a full 2 pages(LOL!!)

Heh tsareppsun you fail it. I won't bother wasting arguments and facts on why you're wrong.

Fredrik said:

Heh tsareppsun you fail it. I won't bother wasting arguments and facts on why you're wrong.

I fail what, Fredrik? If you don't want to waste arguments,and facts on why I'm so wrong then explain yourself in "SHORT ORDER" form. I'm wanna read this......

Well, To me DooM3 can't really be an "exact" retelling of DooM1

Who cares if it's an "exact" retelling. It's just good that they're improving the story.

cuz 1st of all didn't the 1st DooM took place on MARS moons PHOBOS,DEIMOS and INFERNAL REGIONS? The new DooM3 take place soley on MARS.

No. id has said that the doomguy will make a trip to hell and back.

I mean look at the creatures. They show very little or no resembalance to their original sprite forms.(especially the DEMON,and that so called IMP!)I don't know what the hell are other creatures they showed in those pics,and movies.

Look, things are improving there, too!

Fredrik said:

Who cares if it's an "exact" retelling. It's just good that they're improving the story.

Qoute 1. Maybe I really shouldn,t care, BUT IT STILL "CONTRADICTS" WHAT id WAS SAYING BY CALLING IT A "RETELLING" OF D1, Since D1 took
place on PHOBOS,DEIMOS,INFERNAL and "NOT ON MARS."

Quote 2. "A TRIP TO HELL AND BACK" you say? SO that means in D3 the hero will start off at MARS, then go to the INFERNAL REGIONS than end up right back on MARS at the games end. In D1 the hero starts on MARS, gets called to PHOBOS, goes to DEMIOS, then the INFERNAL REGIONS, and ends up back on EARTH at the games end. So hows that calling D3 a retelling on D1 since the "very settings" of the new story has been serverly altered?

Quote 3. I HAVE LOOKED, looked, and looked some more. I'm not talking about the "GRAPHICAL UPGRADE" of the game. It looks "OFF THA HOOK". I'm taking about how "DIFFERENT" the demons look. I was hoping for a graphical remake of all the demons from their original sprite form, NOT A TOTAL, RECONSTRUCTIVE MAKEOVER!!!!! This is why I dissagree with you on what you say about "THINGS ARE IMPROVING THERE,TOO" I don't consider those pics improvments(HELL YEAH,they look great as far as the new graphics engine is concern) But as the demonic cast of classic DOOM? HELL NO, TOTAL RECONSTRUCTIVE MAKEOVERS.......>:(

Why don't you go and argue about this in the DOOM3 forum? We have ten threads about the subject there already and have to keep the heat up.

Fredrik said:

Qoute 1. Maybe I really shouldn,t care, BUT IT STILL "CONTRADICTS" WHAT id WAS SAYING BY CALLING IT A "RETELLING" OF D1, Since D1 took
place on PHOBOS,DEIMOS,INFERNAL and "NOT ON MARS."

Quote 2. "A TRIP TO HELL AND BACK" you say? SO that means in D3 the hero will start off at MARS, then go to the INFERNAL REGIONS than end up right back on MARS at the games end. In D1 the hero starts on MARS, gets called to PHOBOS, goes to DEMIOS, then the INFERNAL REGIONS, and ends up back on EARTH at the games end. So hows that calling D3 a retelling on D1 since the "very settings" of the new story has been serverly altered?

Quote 3. I HAVE LOOKED, looked, and looked some more. I'm not talking about the "GRAPHICAL UPGRADE" of the game. It looks "OFF THA HOOK". I'm taking about how "DIFFERENT" the demons look. I was hoping for a graphical remake of all the demons from their original sprite form, NOT A TOTAL, RECONSTRUCTIVE MAKEOVER!!!!! This is why I dissagree with you on what you say about "THINGS ARE IMPROVING THERE,TOO" I don't consider those pics improvments(HELL YEAH,they look great as far as the new graphics engine is concern) But as the demonic cast of classic DOOM? HELL NO, TOTAL RECONSTRUCTIVE MAKEOVERS.......>:(
And about that spider drawing? Can't be the MASTERMIND, The mastermind had a GAU-8 Avenger VULCON 30mm, The largest gatlinggun in active service today. So that pic must be the smaller arachnotron, which doesn't show up until D2 "HELL ON EARTH", I have no complaints about the new LOST SOUL though. So hows all of this goes for retelling the D1 storyline? You still havn't given me no VALID facts or arguments on where I'm so wrong.

The mastermind had a GAU-8 Avenger VULCON 30mm

How the hell would you know that

The largest gatlinggun in active service today

Yes, and DOOM is set to 150 years from now. The doomguy could as well have a musket.

Fredrik said:

How the hell would you know that
Yes, and DOOM is set to 150 years from now. The doomguy could as well have a musket.

Quote 1. I don't, I'm just speculating since the GAU-8 Avenger is the "ONLY" Gatlingun around of that size and caliber.

Quate 2. Maybe so, So what's the DOOM marine doing fighting with some of today's weapons too?

tsareppsun said:

Quate 2. Maybe so, So what's the DOOM marine doing fighting with some of today's weapons too?

I dunno, you were the one who claimed the Spider Mastermind used a 150 years old weapon.

Fredrik said:

I dunno, you were the one who claimed the Spider Mastermind used a 150 years old weapon.

MAN, I don't belive even id themselves can explain these reasons. I guess these little things will always be in debate with people and we'll never get any clear answers so we all will have to live with our own assumtions. You have your thesis and I have mine. So let's just agree to "Disagree" and squash this subject. And DAMMIT!,I didn't realize I wasn't on the DOOM3 forums! I was completely thrown off by the title of this post. Even though this post is on DOOM3, the D3 forum is where I really want to speak my peace at, Thanx for reminding me, I'm gone!...................*