Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

unPSX is a version of the Playstation Doom TC with a goal of returning Playstation Doom's Jaguar maps as close to their original PC glory as possible, whilst only using PSX Doom's resources. The scale and non-linearity of the original Doom combined with the gritty look, feel and sounds of the PSX game results in an experience that is both fun and foreboding.

It will include some new (and old) features, among them:

1. Intermission screens

2. The return of lost maps such as Slough of Despair

3. "PC-ified" versions of maps exclusive to PSX Doom

4. Three eight extra secret levels (2 per episode)

5. Optional overhauled versions of unpopular maps, including Refinery, Spawning Vats, Fortress of Mystery and others. These are nothing fancy, they merely address common complaints whilst still remaining true to the originals. Once again, they are completely optional.

Remember, this isn't intended to be a generic "rainbow colored lighting" everywhere mod, it's meant to be the real deal.

Currently, the plan for this project is Ultimate Doom episodes 1-4, but this may change depending on reception. Each episode will be released individually for testing.

Thoughts? Concerns?

This is great! Really hope you get success with this. Always thought the PSX TC available now was the next best thing but it kinda sucks not having an option to use PC size maps and higher difficulty. Playstation had very limited RAM compared to PC's running Doom so it goes below standard in some ways (especially in this day and age). Not only that, but PC has mouse and keyboard available natively, but even with a controller gameplay can still be somewhat easier with higher frame rate and resolution (beat PC Plutonia on Ultra Violence with 360 gamepad using prboom-plus). Think the slower psx gameplay adds to the scary gameplay so it might be better to keep gameplay slow and add even more monsters than PC version has in some spots IMO.

PSX Doom always felt like the most disturbing survival horror IMO (scarier than resident evil; gamecube remake might be an exception). Last map on Plutonia was the most disturbing map IMO. Music was scary and when I faced the cyberdemon I totally didn't want to; after trying to kill it I got hit with it's rocket and saw doom guy's head split into nothing. Felt like crying. Most disturbing experience (thanks to Aubrey Hodges).

Don't understand why the authors of the currently available PSX TC are not up to translating missing maps from playstation Doom with PC size first, and then making them PSX size afterwards. Wouldn't this be like killing two birds with one stone? Are they playstation fanboys or trying to hack maps into a playstation cd-backup of Doom? Final Doom is missing a lot of maps on psx...

Should make this for Eternity source port. Think you can get saturated color light values from Team TNT's website and make them with CMAPTOOL (also on Team TNT's website). Should also consider the higher resolution pc doom guy mug instead and only add the missing head gib animation.

Holering said:

Don't understand why the authors of the currently available PSX TC are not up to translating missing maps from playstation Doom with PC size first, and then making them PSX size afterwards. Wouldn't this be like killing two birds with one stone? Are they playstation fanboys or trying to hack maps into a playstation cd-backup of Doom? Final Doom is missing a lot of maps on psx...

I hate waking up to stupid comments like this. The whole point of the LL project isn't just to add a bunch of colours and say 'psx lol', it's to modify the maps so that they look like they could have been a part of the release, and play like something that the console could have handled. Some maps do slightly overstep that mark in places, but for the most part it's all being kept that way. Now if we left the maps at PC size and only added a few colours, then went and fucked around to create a separate map too, what would we get?

That's right, redundancy! Well done! *clap hands*

Given that this project idea wasn't even around when the LL idea came up (it wasn't even around last night), your point of 'killing two birds with one stone' would have been more like 'cluttering up posts with links to duplicates of an experience you can near-enough already get in Doom2.wad'.

Right, now back on topic:
Nice idea, gl hf.

Holering said:

Think you can get saturated color light values from Team TNT's website and make them with CMAPTOOL (also on Team TNT's website).

PSX Doom did not use the software rendering code from Doom. At all. It used a custom tailor-made renderer which made use of the Playstation hardware's features.

One of its features was colored lighting. Although it had very strict limits on how many sprites and textures it could store in its video memory; it could render them in true color (not shoehorned to a palette of 256 unique colors), and the best way to emphasize that was to use coloring effects.

Take the PSX Doom TC and play it in ZDoom. Look at how ugly it is. Why? That's right, it's because the light effects are shoehorned to the palette. Now play it in GZDoom, making sure to use the OpenGL renderer. Now it looks like it's supposed to! It's magic!

Basically, using colormaps to emulate PSX Doom's colored lighting would have for only result to make everything ugly.

Here:

This is the 256 different light colors used in PSX Doom levels. (In addition, there are 256 grayscale values used to simulate light levels, since PSX Doom doesn't use a COLORMAP for that.)

Now, here is an exercise for you. Take these colors, blend them with a picture of the Doom palette (in truecolor of course). Take the resulting blended palette, and convert it to a paletted format, using the original, unblended Doom palette. Compare the paletted blend with the truecolor blend. Does it look like shit? The answer will be yes in practically all cases.

Marnetmar said:

3. "PC-ified" versions of maps exclusive to PSX Doom

OH GOD YES

Just try not to do to them what the E5 project did and bolt on an extra level and a half's worth of stuff ;)

Now those PSX Arch-Vile sounds have to be released! Best of luck with this project, I'm sure the end result won't disappoint.

scalliano said:

OH GOD YES

Just try not to do to them what the E5 project did and bolt on an extra level and a half's worth of stuff ;)

I'm really hoping to avoid that as well. My plans for PSX-exclusive levels are to go through a hypothetical "what if they were originally PC maps?" process (in reverse) and refrain from adding extra areas unless it would drastically improve the map's gameplay from an undesirable state.

Eris Falling said:

Now those PSX Arch-Vile sounds have to be released! Best of luck with this project, I'm sure the end result won't disappoint.

Thanks! Whether the sounds are released or not, I confess that if I end up getting to Doom 2, I will cheat against my plans a little bit and bring back the archies.

Still hope you follow through with this (or someone else at least).

Want to mention Sega Saturn version has higher resolution and detail with main menu, HUD and other stuff (font similar to Doom 64). Maybe consider the saturn content for a good PC port of psx doom (talk about irony). You can see these video's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3Uc1JrBVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPJ9fcVTaGg

Maybe someone can confirm fire sky and other content being same or higher resolution than psx console:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwigQ_bd6w

Want to play saturn doom myself despite its negative feedback but got no money (heard japan had best version but slows down on american consoles).

Regards

Why not just make a Playstation Doom texture pack for the PC maps?

One can remap the patches for the PC textures in the PNAMES and TEXTUREx lumps that didn't exist in the PS version, with duplicates of similar textures that do exist in the PS version.

Sounds pretty interesting. Judging by the screenshots, the general atmosphere seems eerie-ish to me, but I'm not sure if it's just the somewhat desaturated color.

Holering said:

Maybe someone can confirm fire sky and other content being same or higher resolution than psx console:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwigQ_bd6w

Want to play saturn doom myself despite its negative feedback but got no money (heard japan had best version but slows down on american consoles).

Regards

Saturn Doom doesn't have the fire sky at all. Instead, it uses Doom II's cityscape. They couldn't even be arsed reinstating the original Hell sky :/

Nice! I've always hated how Midway just rehashed the Jaguar mapset for E1-E3, like most other Doom console ports at the time. If they were to able to make E4 and E5 look accurate to the PC version as much as possible, then there is no reason why they shouldn't have done the same with E1-E3.

scalliano said:

Saturn Doom doesn't have the fire sky at all. Instead, it uses Doom II's cityscape. They couldn't even be arsed reinstating the original Hell sky :/

It's in the intro.

Starting to wonder if arch-vile sounds or other unused stuff is on Saturn version; playstation doom had unused zombie sounds for instance. Suprised noone ripped the saturn wad considering the hud difference...

Kinda disagree about using console resources for making maps unless there's something unique (like a new map, texture, lighting or other oddities). Doesn't make sense to rebuild psx maps to pc size, when pc version has the larger maps to begin with; probably just new brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 files for gzdoom.

The intro actually uses a different set of frames than the in-game fire. The fire on the intro (in both ports) doesn't loop. Both versions are the same resolution, although on the Saturn they appear to have screwed up the palette transparency, hence the random black pixels at the bottom of the screen :P

Holering said:

Still hope you follow through with this (or someone else at least).

Wanted to mention Sega Saturn version has higher resolution and detail with main menu, HUD and other stuff (font similar to Doom 64). Should consider the saturn content for a good PC port of psx doom. You can see these video's:

Regards

I suppose that if the Saturn's textures are less compressed, that may be a remote possibility in the future, but for now I'm leaning towards no because I'm not sure that most people who play unPSX will notice a difference.

Also, something I forgot to mention:

Monster behaviors that were changed for the PSX version of Doom (the revenant, for example) will be reverted back to their original form.

Marnetmar said:
Monster behaviors that were changed for the PSX version of Doom (the revenant, for example) will be reverted back to their original form. [/B]

YES PLZ

Also, while you're at it, you should restore the weapons to their PC firing speeds. :D

BaronOfStuff said:

I hate waking up to stupid comments like this. The whole point of the LL project isn't just to add a bunch of colours and say 'psx lol', it's to modify the maps so that they look like they could have been a part of the release, and play like something that the console could have handled. Some maps do slightly overstep that mark in places, but for the most part it's all being kept that way. Now if we left the maps at PC size and only added a few colours, then went and fucked around to create a separate map too, what would we get?

My mistake. Sounds like authors have to make maps according to spec.

Patch93 said:

Nice! I've always hated how Midway just rehashed the Jaguar mapset for E1-E3, like most other Doom console ports at the time. If they were to able to make E4 and E5 look accurate to the PC version as much as possible, then there is no reason why they shouldn't have done the same with E1-E3.

...E5?

Ragnor said:

...E5?

Doom 2. That game was pretty much Episode 5 IMO since it didn't do much to change the core gameplay (aside from new monsters, textures, megasphere, a few new objects and SSG) and ran on the exact same EXE as Doom 1 and had most of the same resources in the IWAD, much like SoD was to Wolf3D.

If you think of it that way, then it would be E5, E6 and E7. E8 as well if you consider the Map 7 break a seperate episode from "E5".

In actual PSX Doom though, while it did continue from Map 30, Threshold of Pain, you could select Doom 2 from the start of the game, so it isnt really part of the "episodes" in PSX Doom.

Ragnor said:
In actual PSX Doom though, while it did continue from Map 30, Threshold of Pain, you could select Doom 2 from the start of the game, so it isnt really part of the "episodes" in PSX Doom. [/B]

True.

scalliano said:

I have always wondered if the original Hell sky could easily be reinstated into the game in order to fix that. Then again, that would require some hacking to be done into Saturn Doom and, due to the laggy nature of this version, nobody is willing to do that. :/

Vermil said:

Why not just make a Playstation Doom texture pack for the PC maps?

One can remap the patches for the PC textures in the PNAMES and TEXTUREx lumps that didn't exist in the PS version, with duplicates of similar textures that do exist in the PS version.

Bit of a bump, but since this thread got linked in the Lost Levels thread, Marnetmar, I'd highly recommend doing this. Many of the PSX textures are actually equvalent to the PC patches, particularly in the case of Doom II. This will allow you to recreate some of the PC textures using multiple PSX textures, which is definitely in the spirit of the project IMO. Keeping the PC texture names also means you can load any PWAD and instantly "PSXize" its textures. It would make converting maps a lot faster and I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of doing it for Lost Levels.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Bit of a bump, but since this thread got linked in the Lost Levels thread, Marnetmar, I'd highly recommend doing this. Many of the PSX textures are actually equvalent to the PC patches, particularly in the case of Doom II. This will allow you to recreate some of the PC textures using multiple PSX textures, which is definitely in the spirit of the project IMO. Keeping the PC texture names also means you can load any PWAD and instantly "PSXize" its textures. It would make converting maps a lot faster and I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of doing it for Lost Levels.

Hey, thanks a ton for that advice, that sounds like a really good idea! I'll do some research on how to do this properly and definitely implement it.

Also, work has begun on E1's second super-secret level!

I kind of like this version of the project more, especially since I wasn't really bothered with changing the heights in my psx styled original maps. :P

This project is more of a "what if PSX Doom was done today" while LL is more "What if it was made back then". I like the atmosphere of PSX Doom, but without the PC speed rebalancing mod, it lacks the challenge it once had when I was a teenager with only a PS1.

Avoozl said:

I kind of like this version of the project more, especially since I wasn't really bothered with changing the heights in my psx styled original maps. :P

Speaking of which, your Lost Levels map is one of the few remaining incomplete maps.