Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

So I made a Commander Keen mod

I made this mod, and finished it in May or so. I just thought I'd post it around and see what people thought or whatever. i was meaning to post it on here for a while but got real slow with it. I actually first got into making a mod for the old Commander Keen games from a thread on this forum :p
some of you guys here who visit pckf.com would've already seen it probably.

anyways heres the mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dhggx92pn7or3j/Commander%20Keen%2058-%20THE%20RUIN%20OF%20ROIB-%20Beta%203.zip

you'll need to play it in Dosbox btw. sorry :/ you can find it here:
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main1
i might have an install dealy with it later on so that it installs dosbox along with the mod.

and PS even though its officially 'beta v3' its actually quite bugless. tell me if you do come across any problems though.

thanks.

Uhm, very ugly! Everything looks dirty in the game and the character is not keen, but an antisocial man. I recommend to play "Keen9", but you need an antivirus software installed on your computer, because the file contains a trojan:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/commander-keen-9-battle-of-the-brains

Also: DOSbox is great, but don't forget DOSshell :D!
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
Google: download dosshell

Keen could use a parachute in certain situations. Would be a fun new thing for the player to find in a level the way he has to find the swim gear in Miragia.

and Keen still doesn't eat his vegetables. Difficulty is slightly annoying, but I'm getting used to it. Plus, it appears it has something to do with the storyline.

Spoiler

I'm guessing there is some way to turn off "the defenses that are getting in the way".

Have you showed this to Tom Hall?

oh yeah, you have to shut off a few blocking objects on the map level throughout the game.

Have you showed this to Tom Hall?

nope. can you just send him stuff in an email willy nilly?
i never even thought about it. thanks for the idea.

If you have facebook add him as a friend and then just message him willy nilly about it. I'm sure he'd be very receptive.

do you or anyone else have tom hall as a facebook friend?
on his site it seems he doesnt really want people on his facebook :/ plus my facebook search deal isnt working. *plus* im sure there'd be a million tom halls out there if it did.

I'll message him and the link to your game.

edit: I think I'm going to wait on messaging him because right on his fb page he is trying to raise money for his stepson who got a purple heart in Iraq, but came back from Iraq with a really bad teeth condition from the water when serving over there. Seems insensitive to bother him about the game right now. :-/ But maybe in a week or two when his fundme thing is over?

Also, dunno if you saw this thread:
http://www.keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1732

edit: btw, the game freezes periodically in Wreck City. I am playing in Boxer on Mac. Hmm.. just updated Boxer, too. Wonder if the new update introduced new bugs. I need to start learning that if it's not broke, don't frickin' update it. Half the time updates cause me headaches. Grrr... If it doesn't freeze ingame, it crashes outright: http://randomrootabega.blogspot.com/2013/10/if-it-doesnt-freeze-in-game-then-it.html

EDIT: wow, this is really well designed! I'm only on level 2 I think, Wreck City, and it's really well designed! Too bad it keeps crashing. :( You really have a knack for game design, Foofoo. Really cool stuff.

edit: keep getting "null pointer assignment" error messages upon crashing.

edit: finally made it passed wreck city. Really digging the next level.

EDIT: Okay, this is really weird. The next level it didn't crash at all. Now I'm on a sick forest level (this is like Lord of the Rings meets The Simpsons meets Fern Gully meets Dr. Seuss meets Commander Keen--everyone really needs to play this mod; don't worry, there are no ents like there were in the original secret of the oracle--this mod is extremely original and innovative [great new implementation of secrets, too]). Anyway, so I'm noticing a pattern when it crashes. Like, I will go to a certain part of the level and it won't crash. I will play a certain part over and over and keep dying and keep loading. Then, inexplicably, it will crash. Now whenever I load it freezes at one specific spot! Then I keep loading the game and avoiding that spot as I continue in my quest for mega candies and a defense release lever of some kind. Then it crashes (not freeze, but kick out to the command prompt) at a spot I had just been to several times. Now it crashes every time I get to that spot (or fire my weapon at a specific baddy). It's like, the game was fine a minute ago, but each time I load the save game, the game becomes increasingly less stable in this particular part of the map. It's really baffling. It gives the impression that the savegame is becoming corrupt, which, to me, makes no sense at all. If I load the game, the savegame I'm loading should be as good as it was the first time I loaded it, not have this progressive deterioration--ie, an increasing rate of crashes.

Otherwise sick, sick game. This forest level is sick! I recommend you have a more mellow part to the track on the forest level. The track is pretty annoying as is. But if you had a mellow portion, or an echo of the frantic portion (like a 'piano' portion of the frantic portion (piano is a musical term meaning to play the section softly) that would really improve the track.

EDIT: Okay, so I loaded that buggy save game. The savegame that apparently became buggy through continuously loading and playing. I loaded that savegame and then went through a door into an area I had conquered, jumped around in it for a few seconds, then went back through the door and saved the game again (in the same spot it was saved before) and the crashes went away. I hope this method of 'resetting' the savegame fixes future crashes. I'll keep everyone updated (since I see everyone is as keenly fixated on this mod as I am ... *ahem* ...).

This mod is to classic platformers what Madeleine L'Engle was to scifi/fantasy literature in the 1960s.
Please, people. Play the damn thing! Know what's good for ya!
smh

The deeper into the game I get, the better and better it gets. Outstanding.

I'll message him and the link to your game.

wow, you'd seriously do that? thank you :p
but yeah, do it whenever you want. *if* you want.
maybe I'd still rather message him about it myself though. i dunno.
im at facebook.com/bernard.dewindt, btw. (if you can add tom hall to me, or... however it works :p im not sure exactly how to work facebook)

and all that talk you were saying about the savegame being weird- the problem is i never really tested the save game/load game hardly at all, I just assumed it'd be okay. maybe I should have a look into that now :/
thanks for letting me know (and your kind words).

Foofoo I posted it as a comment to Mario Bros. online that Tom Hall posted on his wall. Here is what I wrote:

Hey guys, unfortunately it looks like Keen doesn't amount to much when he grows up: http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2786&start=0 Nevertheless, this is a very well done Keen mod that anyone who liked the original Keens should definitely check out! It's a very fresh, innovative, stand alone game with a humorous concept and excellent overall design (the art design is especially impressive). It's sort of Lord of the Rings meets The Simpsons meets Fern Gully meets Dr. Seuss meets A Wrinkle In Time. I didn't make it, but thought it was so well done it was worth sharing.

EDIT: Bwahhahahhah!! I love this game! Tremendous! Foofoo deserves some kind of award or something. So well done! All those over the top comments in the keenmodding forum--they really aren't hyperbole. Why isn't anyone on DW playing this?

EDIT: Woohoo! Beat it! Best ending ever. lol --man, I really hope Tom Hall plays this all the way to the end. That'd be cool. I read in the help you are considering sequels!! Yay! But.. but... what better things have you to do with your life than make awesome Commander Keen games? I can't believe this only took you one year off and on. Magnificent. Hats off to you, sir!

hey thanks hellbent. also thanks a lot for messaging Tom Hall.
I agree with you that this mod is really great.
also, we totally aren't the same person with duel accounts :) :p

and wow serious? my Keen pic as your avatar? nice ;)

I'm going to use this thread to advertise another keen mod for keen 1 (it's really a stand alone game) that I discovered a week or so ago made by keenrush. It's very... different... and very minimalist game design.. but it's actually quite fun.. if fun is the right word. It's growing on me. I think it's pretty well designed, really, even though there were times I wanted to bash my head through my bedroom wall.

download

The objective of the game is to collect the 5 snowflakes before jumping onto the exit.

i just gave it a go and it was horrible, imo :p i couldnt even do anything (the character just falls through the floor at the beginning of the first level).