Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Unholy Realms & Zone 300 (simultaneously!)

MAP11 Death

*Regular Run*

Tight spaces, this is fun. Quite a few devious traps too, like you know you've cleared out an area, but new guys show up. It's that sort of ordeal for the majority of the level, and there are quite a few biggies abound. I used up a lot of plasma in the lava cross in the southwest, and a lot of rockets to the area north of that. Nice cyber battle at the end there, but could be annoying with him teleporting. Oh and read the title of the map :p. Final Time 5:03.

*Reality Run*

Well the tight spaces were more of a hinderance than a helper. The dark area with spectres I used up nearly all my shells against the archies who kept resurrecting those guys. Northwest part of the map was arguably the hardest, there's one trap with imps and sargeants, had to back off for that one, and then three surprise chaingunners near a teleporter who attack immediately after a switch was pressed. More punk-ass teleporting monsters later, and I eventually battle cybie in a careful manner before the inevitable "killself" at the end. Final Time 7:02.

MAP11 Simbattle

*Regular Run*

Red brick with 64-wide corridors and lotsa shotgun action against shotgun guys, nobles, and imps. Quite fun. Get the secret BFG. Then it's on to the big arena. Kill the painelemental, the mancubi, and arachnotrons before the other monsters. Then clean up, press four switches, activate the second secret and blast that spider to hell with an invulnerability. A very fun level. Final Time 3:11.

*Reality Run*

Pretty much the same deal as before, but more careful avoiding projectiles at the arena. I had to avoid picking up the blur artifact for that matter. Final Time 3:18.

Unholy Realms Map11: Death

Veeery different from what we've seen thus far but I like it. This map mostly consists of cramped corridors and tight spaces filled with deadly traps. And when I say deadly, I mean borderline dickish deadly, if you're not aware of what's gonna happen next. Because of this, the map was rather difficult at first but as I played it through a few times and developed some strategies, it became pretty simple actually. For example, the pitch black Spectre/Archie room was a total pain in the ass at first since I wasted all my ammo on the resurrected Spectres. With a slightly different approach it becomes extremely simple and no ammo gets wasted. I will say though that the Mancs on both sides in a corridor seemed a bit over-the-top but I'll let that slide since it never actually killed me :P The teleporting Cyber can be a bit annoying but it only teled a couple of times at most so it wasn't too bad.

A crucial thing I haven't mentioned yet, is that for pistol starters this is an another concept map. At the start you have to choose between the PG and the SSG and once you pick the other, the other gets locked away forever. I don't rememeber many maps using this kind of design but I think Snakes pulls it off fairly well here. Both weapons are well balanced regarding the gameplay and have their pros and cons so the choice is just a matter of personal preference. Plasma makes the Cyber battle a bit faster and easier as well as some of the traps around but the ammo is a bit sparse and you'll have to rely on SG/CG/berserk a little. The SSG has plenty of ammo and if you're handy with it, the traps aren't any harder but the Cyber fight is a bit trickier. I chose the SSG because of the plentiful ammo and it seemed a bit faster overall than going with the plasma.

There's a few possible tricks too to speed things up a bit. Well, a lot actually since the map can be over in less than 40secs if everything goes perfectly. I managed to pull off a neat looking 0:44 run where both tricks worked pretty nicely. I uploaded it to youtube a couple of days ago but here's the link if someone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD-2jLKaYuk. And then the regular max:

Tarnsman said:

So what the fuck is the Reality Run?

It's a playstyle wherein the player attempts to make it through the map without ever being hit/damaged. I believe there are degrees of 'purity' to it where maps with things like unavoidable damage floor and the like are concerned.

Interesting insight Veinen, gonna have to try that "choose one weapon" type of concept soon :).

Tarnsman, what DoTW said, but I'd also like to add that I'm doing those runs on HNTR, where there's less monsters to contend with. Let me also iterate that hitscanners and faraway imps are my nightmares for runs like those.

And some maps are impossible to avoid without damage (looks at MAP12 with an evil, evil eye.)

UR Map11 - "Death": Ah, I know this map well. Traps abound around every corner in tight, clausterphobic spaces with low health and ammo… death is a name too lenient even for this. Personally I think there should be a box of shells with the SSG since I took that first and wound up being reduced to my fists a couple of times throughout. Other than that I really like the option of choosing which weapon to use, since the PG gives you more ammo overall but the SSG is always versatile and you’ll never have to whittle the big boys down the the SG. The finale is an entertaining idea that I feel works well since it’s not hard to do it as long as you keep your eyes peeled; I always enjoy seeing what people do to make cyber 1-on-1 battles more engaging. Like Veinen, I find the manc trap a bit on the excessive side, but other than that each trap is well done. Nice eerie/dark visuals too.

Z300 Map11 - "Simbattle": A clean, simple and straightforward map with an absolutely marvelous midi. The little maze before the big arena was the better half as the arena has so many goodies and not enough tough enemies to make it really worthwhile… and really, one switch there would’ve sufficed. I’m still most impressed by that midi.

Map11 "The Ungodly Truth"

Dark and suspenseful, heavy minor tonality usage. Tried to make it fitting for the map title, that you are at the doorway to death itself, another realm beyond. The bell tolls, the snare marches, and the low pad representing the evil and chaos that lies ahead. I don't use the French Horn often, but it felt fitting in this as it feels ominous and foreboding.

Unholy Realms MAP10 - "Premortem"

In one sentence - this map is once again really impressive.

Beautiful, quite a distinct but not same-y style, and always new and unexpected ways to create interesting encounters and fights, that are such strong points that no fault could overcome them, for me. And I haven't encountered any fault. I like the nonlinearity here too. Unholy Realms seems to increase in quality with every level, which is just stunning.

(I missed one monster and one secret. I wonder if it was anything special, considering the huge amount of ammo found in this level, specially rockets.)

Zone 300 MAP10 - "Cargo Bay"

Resetting my progress here, starting from pistol start again, because I couldn't stand the huge ammo surplus.

I, for one, don't mind platforming in a Doom game. That's why I enjoyed this level, with repeatedly finding the right path and returning for secrets, which are all somewhere high on the crates. It was even hard not to get killed while I had to clear my way to the lift. I got killed :). I like both the idea and its execution on this level, and also the aforementioned secrets. Some parts feel like a waste of lines though, my heart would hardly get over that if I was making the map. Because the map would have been even bigger... Nevermind.

UR Map11 - "Death"
Tight map both in space and at times health, the lack of armour really shows here as one hit from most monsters could see your health gone. Pretty tense and fun. With the plasma gun the cyber fight was pretty easy. In the end it's interesting as picking the plasma gun makes the bulk of the level harder as you need to use the light weaponry as well but you get a quick and easy cyber kill, whilst the ssg will get you through most of the map unscathed but the cyber is a lot more threatening.
Good map

Zone 300 Map11 - "Simbattle"
Again here we have a sort of boss stage like UR, the first half of the map is instantly forgettable. The exit area fight is fun though, the secrets really trivialise the level though, but I guess it's not much of a complaint.

Zone 300: Map 11 - UV, pistol start

Yeah this was a pretty bad map. The first half should have just been left out, but then again there isn't much to the second half either. Both secrets were easy enough to find, which made this level very simple to beat.

UR Map 11 -- Death - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
Quite a name for this one to live up to, if you'll pardon the inappropriateness of that phrase.....and it certainly does its best to do so. The surroundings are clearly themed around the idea of being buried alive, replete with dismal tombs of stone and iron connected by snarls of passages hewn from cold earth, all suffused with a suffocating darkness. Gone is the relative openness of the corrupted earthbases from the past few maps; combat throughout this ordeal generally takes place at point-blank range, apart from a couple of tall-ceilinged chambers that stand out in the mind more by dint of contrast with the general claustrophobia of the environment rather than as a result of being truly 'large.' I feel that the rainbow-nightmare syndrome was reigned in fairly well here, with a pretty dedicated red/brown/black color scheme. Again, the music track is effective by virtue of not overstating its presence.

As one might have surmised, the place is lousy with traps. Death-traps, you might even say. Most rooms have been designed to spring ambushes that place the player in a very inconvenient position, and there essentially are no 'optional' encounters. In a sense it's a little bit nerve-wracking, but of course, that's the point. And after all, it's not like you'll be unarmed, as the player is given a choice between the SSG and the plasma rifle at the outset. There's also a rocket launcher, though its ammo is quite limited and the tight confines make it fairly difficult to use safely in many situations.

As for myself, I chose the plasma rifle (simply because I feel like I seem to use it less than any other weapon in Doom, save for the chainsaw and pistol) on my first run, and it served me well. I think Snakes has done a pretty admirable job of balancing these two choices, with some encounters markedly favoring the SSG, and some similarly favoring the PR (and remember, none of these fights are optional). For example, the plasma rifle really saved my ass from the last barb of the southwestern cross-shaped trap room (I flat-out failed to see it coming, instead predicting a clusterfuck upon actually grabbing the blue skull), while a temporary ammo scarcity had me pining for the SSG in the chambers overlooking the imp-pillar room. Still other encounters I reckon I'd have been fine with either weapon, like the arch-vile tagteam room or the final cyberdemon battle. And, for posterity, I did a replay with the SSG instead, and found it an adequate tool as well, albeit one that took a little more time to make use of in a few places. The main point is, I do feel like the choice of weapons is actually a genuinely relevant one, although not one so crucial that it vastly effects the overall survivability of the level, which I assume was the intent.

While I'd managed to avoid being killed up to this point Unholy Realms, it seems that fate was not inclined to smile upon my marine, and in the end the level made good on the promise of its name as he was promptly torn apart upon using the last portal. Suits me fine, I like to see death-exits used as both narrative tools and enforcers of episodic gameplay (though of course, I generally prefer to pistol-start everything anyway). Incidentally, the story text is once again cut off at points in Eternity (and presumably in ZDoom-family ports, as well).

Z300 Map 11 -- Simbattle - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
I agree with Dobu about the music track here, quite liked it. Unfortunately, once again I can't really say the same for the map itself. Of the two halves, I actually kind of prefer the first one, oddly enough....maybe I've got some kind of latent fetish for the seldom-seen Super Mario bricks, who knows. Something about the way this sequence of dead ends gradually unfolds into something larger is compelling in a way, I suppose. Come to think of it, this actually reminds me quite a bit of some other PCorf map (something from PCCP, perhaps...?), which uses a very similar gimmick and I believe even the same texture scheme. The second half? Well, it's a big square yard with stuff in it. Exercise a modicum of patience and a lot of said stuff will kill a lot of the other stuff of its own accord, and then you can squash a few spiderbabies and leave. I guess if you know beforehand that there's a mastermind in the central box you could have a little fun and let him/her/it do most of the dirty work for you, but I didn't know and so just BFGed him and left. Yeah, about the best thing I can say for this level is that it gave me an excuse to listen to that cool MIDI for a few minutes.

I'm surprised that the general consensus seems to be that the Plasma Rifle and the SSG are of equal utility in UR map 11. When I played it, it seemed like choosing Plasma was a no-brainer. Just use the single-barrel shotty as your main gun, and Plasma for your "oh shit!" weapon, and ammo won't be a problem. I found Plasma to be much more useful in the dangerous traps here, with its amazing stun-locking of dangerous enemies and higher DPS.

Plus, if you choose SSG, you can't even use half of the level's ammo.

Then again, I'm not good enough to beat the vast majority of these levels on anything even approaching my first attempt (including this one), so maybe that's skewing my perception?

Map05 - Nukage Depository

I had an odd sense of pride in this map upon its initial completion. It was larger than any map I'd completed up to this point (excepting my pc_cp contribution) and definitely the first one where I created multiple paths that weren't merely 2, separate nonlinear routes. This was a big deal for me as I originally mapped in this fashion for 4maps.wad but somehow wound up abandoning that ideal at some point. It was important in that sense.

One big deal with this map was I originally had a fuckton of ammo lying around. Glad I reeled it in. In a lot of ways, this also my last pure rip-off map as you can see shades of WOS08 mixed in along the way. It's fairly clear to me that both from gameplay and visual aspects, my experimentation was running high with the + tunnel, slapdash console placement, and traps that ranged from the very good (caged fight) to the stupid (the YK location). A true mixed bag, but one that I still view fondly for personal reasons.

Map06 - Sewage Entrypoint

I always consider maps before text scrolls to be "challenge" maps. That's to say, Map06, Map11, Map20, and Map30 have to have some sort of epic sense of battle to them. This was the first go at that. Like all early maps, this is a very mixed result - the YK battle is straightforward, yet it's also so well-designed that I'm surprised I even made it. The tweak of adding the crushers after the initial draft saved the entire map for me. The RK battle is more mixed, but I appreciate for what it is.

Visually, if you look at Map01-Map10, you can see just trying out every texture I can. I hoped to avoid a degree of visual monotony by using slight changes every time I started something new, but I still lacked that refining touch that would eventually show up in a few E2 and E3 maps (you'll know them when you see them). The YK room is Requiem-influenced, the BK route is just sort of something I slapped together when I treated this as a faux-speedmap. So I'd give this a half-n-half rating with the mastermind map fitting right in.

Dig that tongue-in-cheek text. Those show up everywhere, most notably between Map31 and Map32.

Map07 - Passage Underground

Holy crap, this was an experiment for me. I wanted to use floor raise/lower functions as creatively as I could at the time and this was the result. You have a raise-floor fight at the end in which multiple sectors move upward together, a insta-drop fight, and of course, the use of the sector 666 tag. Honestly, I'm still very satisfied with myself for not just going down Dead Simple Blvd. It's been tried and done.

Of course, there are a pair of lowlights - the speed route is lame and the revenant pillars are just fucking awful. Fixing it might not be too hard, so I may go back and join a couple of sectors for the sake of gameplay. The only question is whether or not that would actually make the fight even cheaper... A mixed bag, but I like it as I revisit the Into Hell sort of atmosphere that my roots lie in.

Map08 - Research Complex Beta

The map name "Research Point Beta" is a result of dehacked space, pure and simple. Now with that out of the way - whoa. This was a total transformation for me. Most might not notice it, but there's a lot of little alterations to my experimentation that show the first real refinement to my own personal style. The ceiling are starting to get a bit more attention, the emphasis on small-scale detail is starting to lax a bit, though it does get "cleaner" in overall presentation. Yes, rainbow-puke is still here, but it's only in one room severely.

This is a map that just works for me, personally. Not all love it, but there are so many things I can identify as progress that it's one of the most important maps I ever made. The use of snakeskin (heh) here is, to this day, some of my best visual work as, with a stretch of imagination, you can see where the corruption is really severe and where it's just starting to take hold. Very moody. I like this map.

Map09 - Metallic Bloodline

The main area is one of best visual setpieces I've ever made, period. The layered setup, the use of the skin/metal textures, and the sharp red pillars (which I don't see the cutoff on the classic resolution) all create a an actual idea if a building as opposed to just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. What's more - the big indoor room (and not the smaller one at all) has that metallic-arc visual that really stands out to me as something I executed perfectly. The route is creative in that you see every room, exit room excused, from multiple angles. Interesting use of space.

At this point, I started to notice the problem of linearity. Much like Map07 and Map08, this map basically said "Go this way and no other way." This is something that I'd consciously avoid for Map10. I like this map a lot, but am able to acknowledge the faults that exist (and that used to exist). Still a step up from previous efforts, though.

More to come later.

Unholy Realms MAP11 - "Death"

"Death - Survived". Joke of the day.

The entire time in this map I knew it is quite crudely playing with me, but at the same time I felt it is somehow fair - sounds strange, right? I like the fights in darkness, and in total blackness, as this map distinguishes between these two. In the 2-archvile fight, I (unwantedly of course) let them both hit me, and survived with 7% health, which made my life harder for the next fights. I really admire how the twists are actually unpredictable, even though I hear the cracking floors and could have thought some trap must have been there. And then, I just go through a corridor without even suspecting anything and boom! Happens many times on this map. Good job!

The usual: great looks, gameplay, layout, atmosphere, traps, surprises, secrets, and music.

Zone 300 MAP11 - "Simbattle"

I played from pistol start again and I think that from now on, I'll be pistol starting each Zone 300 map, because I keep enjoying it the most this way.

And the first part of this map is really interesting from pistol start. You have pretty much exactly the amount of ammo needed to kill the hellspawn, and have to save pistol for shotgunners. The imps were surprisingly easy, then, even though I decided to not leave the area until they're all dead. Well, it's simple and could have been more interesting and whatnot, but I liked it. This is a concept wad anyways, from my view at least.

Then the hectic arena fight was enjoyable too, considering that I didn't find the BFG. At first it was a chaotic circling around and defeating just the worst foes, then after killing arachnotrons it peaced out. The final fight was certainly easy, as pretty much every Mastermind fight where he has no companion with him. Again I say that this map, although it could have been elaborated more, is fun, and maybe its simplicity is doing the fun - so, good.

A double bill today...

Unholy Realms
MAP11: Death
I went SSG, then remembered glancing through the thread and seeing that would lead to tight ammo, so I played extra conservatively and came out with a surplus (the berserk secret definitely helped). Definitely should have gone for the plasma rifle anyway, but never mind! This dark, gloomy map seems to be in two minds about how it wants to kill me. Sometimes it's monsters in tight spaces and other times it's being sandwiched between two monsters that the plasma rifle would've got me through a lot more quickly and healthily. I liked the latter, due to it being clever use of monsters. The latter felt like bullshit. Particularly the two mancubuses on the way to the yellow key bars.

The cyberdemon fight at the end was very good, as the teleporting was infrequent enough not to be frustrating. This map was pretty good, but I've played better in this set, IMO. The text screen all fits onto the page, aside from the one line that ends in "it's up to you to", as the "to" at the end is clipped off at 1440x900 in ZDoom.

MAP12: The Other Side
A really enjoyable Plutonia-style map, although the rocket launcher is a bit deep into enemy territory for my liking, given you really do need to have it.

Zone 300
MAP11: Simbattle
As mentioned above, the first section of this map is a lot like a scaled down version of one of pcorf's own maps in PCCP/Doom II: Unleashed. The open arena was pretty comfortable with a lot of circuits and choice dives with the SSG into the frantic melee that resulted. The MIDI was enjoyable, as was the map, IMO.

The text screen was less goofy than the previous one, but would have benefitted from a better grasp of the English language.

MAP12: Villa of Pain
Moving to a more "civilised" theme from the (nominally) techbase maps of before, we go into a villa. Simple use of mid textures give the starting room a hint of 3D and the corridor around the outside of the second arena shows off some re-combined patches to create some new wooden textures, which is nice to see. This is another map following the formula of two arenas with a meat-grinding exit, although one Baron of Hell isn't as bad as some of the other maps were. It is, however stuck behind the EXIT sign, which makes it even less threatening than it might have been. No secrets, but a reasonable challenge, particularly with just the bullet and shell weapons available to you from a pistol start and the first battle starting off as Berserk vs. Hitscans.

MAP12 The Other Side

Oh...fuck you for this. Action right at the start with only a pistol and a fist, I had to kill a shotgun guy, then a chaingunner, to get just their weapons, and the rocket launcher is so inconveniently placed between two mancubi? No SSG either. Open field, but with enough monsters to keep me busy, there's barely a goddamn foothold I could stand upon to rest! Took me awhile to figure out how to get the blue key, and when I found it out I was fucking pissed. But perhaps the worst thing I can say about the level though, is the lone secret. ONE FUCKING ARMOR BONUS? Are you fucking kidding me? Coulda gave me something useful that. Final Time 6:00.

Perhaps my bitching comes from the fact that I haven't played original Plutonia in more than four years, and I've never even finished it (was stuck on MAP23 for a long time and just gave up).

BTW I'm not mad that I can't do a no-hitter run here, it was hard enough as is! Thankfully MAP13 lightens up a bit, but already UR shows it's teeth early.

MAP12 Villa Of Pain

*Regular Run*

Pretty tight start with the cacos. The next courtyard after the crushers was quite interesting with arachnotrons in the windows I guess. Most of that handled with the rocket launcher. Cacos, and the end baron were killed with SSG. Looks very Plutonia-ish again. Final Time 1:42.

*Reality Run

The start was made annoying with the cacos distracting me as I was killing zombies, but things turned out fine for the rest of the level. I sniped at the arachnotrons from ground level instead of rushing them this time. Final Time 1:48.

Hurricyclone said:

MAP12 The Other Side
But perhaps the worst thing I can say about the level though, is the lone secret. ONE FUCKING ARMOR BONUS? Are you fucking kidding me? Coulda gave me something useful that.

Oh, it gives you much more than that if you play your cards right. It's just not what you'd expect or see immediatelly.

UR Map12 - "The Other Side"
Solid map which makes you move around with a constant threat, not much else to say. I missed the secret which on closer inspection would have made my ammo issues at the end a lot easier
Hurricyclone will now be confused, how does the secret help the player with ammo???
I died a couple of times at the end, true to say the pain elementals do exactly what they say on the tin :P
Good map.

Zone 300 Map12 "Villa of Pain"
Visually and gameplay wise this is fine. The central area needs to be a little bigger to bring the spiders into play of which this map would be very very interesting with plenty of infighting and threats from all angle.
Near miss this one, but if the spiders could get an easier shot on you this would be easily the best map so far.

Unholy Realms Map12: The Other Side

Hih, I thought this was really good! This does indeed inflict some Plutonia-vibes along with a lot of pain if you're not moving all the time. The hail of bullets and fireballs can really hurt you bad here but thankfully Snakes put plenty of medkits around so you can go relatively kamikaze if you like. I know I did. Not much to say about this really, just a quick and fun romp that I'm sure I'll be revisiting when the final version is out. I too thought the secret was just a joke at first but now that dew there mentions it, I can see that it's a bit more than meets the eye. I suppose it's a speedrunners trick of a sorts that casual players don't necessarily even need.

I checked MAP12 in DB2, and all I saw there in the secret was Thing 48, an armor bonus. I even moved it to see if anything was overlapping it and there's nothing.

But then again, walking to get it does trigger crushers which help kill several barons (if they haven't woken up yet), too bad that they're fast crushers, so I had to simply wait longer than usual (found that out the hard way when they escape the crushers). At least I got the secret before seeing the barons on my first go.

Weird secret. I still hate it though.

And yes, medikits and ammo are abundant, but when easily distracted, I forget that they even exist.

UR Map12 - "The Other Side": After crossing the mortal rubicon, the afterlife opens up a little bit. Traps are switched out for more open arenas that you slowly have to clear out with what ammo you gather, and this map starts the journey out wonderfully. From the start you're bombarded with projectiles and baddies closing in, holding barely anything more than starting equipment to work your way through the hordes. Only disappointment is that the blue switch battle is far more fierce than the red switch one (since, as soon as you fire at the pinkies, you'll wake up the AV and his bony & bulbous bodyguards), but a difficulty discrepancy being the "worst thing" is probably the best you can hope for while making a map. Overall, excellent.

My favorite little detail is the use of the MARBFACE as a midtexture around the arena--really clever!

Z300 Map12 - "Villa of Pain": A map that forces some punchy play from the player since ammo is a rarity. It’s short enough that it’s unobtrusive but some more shells would’ve been appreciated. Taking down a baron bare-knuckled is kinda fun though.

Zone 300: Map 12 - UV, pistol start

This was a pretty unenjoyable map for me. I died several times right in the starting area until I figured out a path to take where I took the least amount of damage. This was followed by a fairly easy fight against 2 hell knights & 3 mancubi, but then I hit the switch which released 2 revenants & a few imps, much ammo was wasted on them. I ran out of ammo killing the 2nd arachnotron, so I had many deaths trying to run around him to get a box of shells. I finally got it and took all 3 of them out leaving me with 2 shells when I got to the exit. Upon opening the door I was greeted by a baron that I had to punch to death, there was a box of ammo just out of reach behind him taunting me. And the midi track got annoying real fast.

UR Map 12 -- The Other Side - 104% Kills / 0% Secrets
Ah, Plutonia + Thy Flesh Consumed + Scythe, splendid. If I understood the story text correctly, the setting is now a number of earthly locales that have been physically planeshifted into some slice of Hell proper, here reflected by some glowing marble towers and other inexplicable structures outside of the map proper. The throbbing bassy MIDI is a good backdrop to the action here, an almost entirely outdoor battle that stands in stark contrast to the suffocating confines of the previous map. And I do mean 'battle' in the singular--this is the kind of map where combat begins as soon as the screen clears and doesn't really end until you reach the exit, with little in the way of definitive peaks or valleys in the pitch of its action. Granted, I have a perverse habit of throwing switches as soon as I see them in maps like this, meaning that I never really started a proper cleanup until shit was beginning to edge towards 'out of hand' (e.g. when the arch-vile appeared).

I had no problems with ammo (no doubt due in part to the way I was playing tending to engender infighting casualties), but I only managed to avoid death because there really were quite a lot of medikits sitting around....I took very little damage from projectile-slinging monsters in this stage (and none from the arch-vile, although as a tradeoff I had to kill some of the revenants thrice over), but in the early going I was badly torn up and down to 12 health at one point on account of wandering chaingunners/shotgunners and my not finding the armor vest until after it would've been most useful. I also never found the much-vaunted armor bonus secret at all, but after reading the comments here I reckon I did see the inactive crushing posts that it was supposed to trigger in one of the monster closets.

It strikes me that I really have very little idea what the various switches I was throwing actually accomplished....I just kept grabassing around with no real plan, and eventually stuff happened, this perhaps best epitomized by the way I collected the red skull entirely by accident (complete with a revenant telefrag), unintentionally strafing into the teleporter in the blood pond while throwing rockets at one of the mancubi. That was cool and all, but it seems odd how much switchflippery and backtrackery was required in a short little runaround map like this.

Ah, well, it was fun anyway. A nice change of pace in the gameplay department.

Z300 Map 12 -- Villa of Pain - 100% Kills / No secrets
I had to replay this one in order to remember a single thing about it for the writeup. Not exactly the highest praise, that, but I wouldn't say it's Zone 300's worst map by a longshot (and I remembered it again a few seconds in, in fairness). Oddly, I never really had much in the way of the ammo problems that others have reported....I think the crucial matter is that, both times I played it, I sort of instinctively ran up to the skull switch on the marble pedestal in the villa and let the revenants/imps out without really fighting the mancubi (or even the hell knights, the second time), meaning that infighting took care of a lot of them for me (on the second run I saved even more ammo by pretty much ignoring most of the enemies in the first area and letting the crushers in the connecting passage kill them, although to do that thoroughly you have to stay close enough to the crushers that they remain in motion). As far as looks go the map's on the high end of the scale (relative to this mapset's general standard, I mean), again with a lot of its lines tied up in aesthetics. Wasn't bothered by the MIDI, although I don't reckon it fits the map as well as it might.

UR MAP11: Death

Interesting level here, as the fights aren't too numerous yet by placing the traps in close quarters, combined with the lack of armor, they can do a lot of damage quickly, keeping the player on his toes. Nice atmosphere here too. Good map, though the teleporting Cyberdemon at the end is a bit annoying. 3/5

Zone300 MAP11: Simbattle

Don't really understand the name... a bunch of tiny corridors at the start, which is more interesting than it has any right to be. Very slim ammo if you're playing pistol start... then turns into a large arena battle which actually isn't that hard due to the monsters used. The secret makes it a piece of cake (though I didn't find the secret until after everything was dead). 3/5

Zone300 MAP12: Villa of Pain

On a pistol start, this is painful indeed. Only get a beserk pack, with a decent amount of hitscanners and flyers to make your life miserable. Wouldn't even want to try to play this with infinitely tall monsters on... I agree with cannonball that the second area is really undermined by making it small enough to that the arachnatrons can't do anything to harass the player from above, which just turns them into meat for the chaingun after the elevator's activated. A bit of a step backwards here, though I liked the clever use of midtextures on the start building. 2/5

UR Map13 - "Temple of Leviathan"
This was fairly short, not too difficult and pretty fun, wish I managed to snag the ssg though but perfectly manageable without this. Visually very pleasing.

Zone 300 Map13 - "Dark Crypt"
Simple linear romp which is made very easy if you find the secret. Visually ok, there is one frustrating bug at lest in pr-boom where the radsuit is suspended in mid-air and hence unobtainable which actually makes the yellow key fight a little more tricky. Not much else to say, it was nice to get a break and only take 20 minutes to record a demo of decent quality.

Crap I forgot about the music in MAP12, it's...Descent-ly, hah hah hah.

MAP13 Temple of Leviathan

*Regular Run*

Another rough start. At least there's a berserk pack behind me, but it's not too easy to notice. I got hit by just about everyone NOT at the beginning ironically enough, tried to figure out how to get the SSG and my instincts fail me in the worst possible manner twice there. Plutona-ish, Skillsaw-ish, supposedly easier than levels to come, I don't care, this one brutally murdered me still. That crusher thingie or whatever near the red key was pretty splendid and at least I got the plasma gun and SSG on this level, and the music track (Congo) was very nice. Final Time 5:28.

*Reality Run* (I had to pistol start from MAP12 in HNTR for this to happen, to get more weapons, took damage on that map still)

Evade at the start, hide and try to snipe at anyone as best as possible. The hitscanners in the water should wait, or if they don't quickly hit them because they're faster than their own guns. Then hitting enemies through windows with rockets would solve that. One particular corridor in the north was a hassle, there's also this painelemental behind the grove waterfall which was merely a distraction. Oh, and revenants just won't stop shooting at me. In HNTR, the SSG doesn't appear as early, it's right next to the arachnotron guarding the BK switch instead of on a raised platform. The teleporter ambushes I managed to handle, but only as long as everyone else on the level is good and dead. Imps in the first wave were fine, then after getting the red key, I had to stay put and attack a faraway mancubus, demons, and sargeants. All while keeping away from the weird crusher simulation that was behind me. Oh and don't forget the cacos! They'll try and smite me while I'm trying to avoid those "death sticks". Final Time 7:34.

MAP13 Dark Crypt

*Regular Run*

Biggest thing here was clearly the YK monster reveal. I forget to get the radsuit, instead blasting a large group of monsters with the BFG to clear off large parts of them from where the YK was. There's a secret with lotsa cells later on, so I got my ammo back. Other stuff, the megasphere, and the hellknights do their teleport dance move again at the level's exit. Visually, it's actually not very appealing though for a crypt. Final Time 2:07.

*Reality Run*

Start was a bit fruitful but not too bad. The YK monster reveal, again had to smash the hitscanners first. Not truly reality because of damaging blood but oh well. The caged walkway of sorts also proved a tad fruitful, and I almost got caught unawares by the pain elemental here. But it was manageable. Final Time 2:28.

Unholy Realms Map13: Temple of Leviathan

Fairly short and very much fun yes, but the difficulty question is a bit two-sided here. On the other hand, if you take your time it's very simple and not much of a problem but if you're a dumbass like me and go for a fast run, it becomes a freaking Lost Soul nightmare. My demo, despite being not that great looking, is a bit more speedrun-ish than those for the previous maps since I got 4:09 in my first legit attempt and I got completely obsessed with getting it under 4. Lost Souls are literally everywhere here since more often than not some of the hitscanners aggro one of the PEs and then you're stuck with dozens of Lost Souls getting on your way all the fucking time. Those douchebag crushers were another major pain in my ass but I still kinda like them. And I do really like this map overall and maxing it, it's short and compact and full of action. Looks great too and for some strange reason reminds me of Speed of Doom, which is certainly not a bad thing. The music is very fitting as well.

Also I somehow managed to broke the final trap involving six Revs teleporting through an opening in the wall in the red bars room quite a few times. The wall just never opened at first and when I changed the -complevel from 2 to 9 it started to always work. But now that I revisited with -cl2, it worked just fine so I have no idea what caused the wall to not open. Confusing.

UR Map13 - "Temple of Leviathan": The lush green jungle of the afterlife continues on here as we explore some ancient Knoxian ruins. Honestly the visuals overtake the gameplay here with some nice use of vines and crumbling stones decorating this outpost, while the battles range from straightforward to lukewarm-danger. Similar to MAP10 I think this is a good change of pace especially coming off of the 1-2 punch of Death and The Other Side, although I guess I’m just thirsting for a little more punishment.

Z300 Map13 - "Dark Crypt": I must admit that I’ve now given up on not using saves primarily because my deaths are slowly becoming time consuming. If there were less hitscanners I feel I’d stand a better chance since I’m not nimble enough to react to their presence, so as is I’d rather enjoy these levels than turn them into routine inputs. Anyway, this map is alright although there’s not really a “crypt” feeling emanating here, more like haunted halls. Got shot from afar a bunch so it’s not my favorite.