Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkreaver

Plutonium Winds - 7 maps for Plutonia (added new map)

UPDATE: added a map18. Part 1 of Plutonium Winds is ready.

Hello.

Tha last week or so I have been making "speedmaps"* for Plutonia.
They dont really recreate the gameplay of Plutonia, I just wanted to use the Plutonia IWAD for some reason.

The maps should be fairly hard. UV and HMP difficulties are implemented.

They replace maps 12-18

Couple of screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/6S8lEiJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/p4hmfZX.png

*by speedmaps I mean I made one map each day, except for map16 and map17 which took a couple of sessions each.

link to idgames: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/pwfinal.zip

MAPINFO by NightFright: MAPINFO for Plutonium Winds (31 KB)

So please post bugs and shit here =)

On an initial perusal these look really fun! I'll be looking forward to testing em' out when I get back home.

are they cl4 or cl9?

hihi, allrighty then. Here's some fdas: http://www.mediafire.com/?av5z9qnld7mmcn6

map12:
straight-forward, hectic, good intro map. The only thing I can think to criticize is the HKs behind the fence that are pretty much just ammo sinks, and the shotgunners by the AV switch that kind of encourage camping.

map13:
Not sure how I feel about this one, the start is ok, picks up a bit when the blood pool raises. the RSK revs seemed unnecessary, mostly unthreatening circle-strafeyness. Maybe if rev count was decreased and some AVs were added? idk. Also I feel like it would've been more fun to fight the cyb in the main area, more pillars and opportunities for splash damage, so here's another idea: have cyb tele into main area, and have a rev horde behind the bloodfalls? Idk what kind of feedback you're looking for so if you're just interested in bug-fixes than I'll shut up and get back to playing :p

btw I thought this texture looked weird, partially submerged, that is.

map14:
channeling D-D a bit more directly now :) I loved almost everything about this map. The compspan room was great, makes you choose your ssg shots carefully for maximum herd-thinning. And the AV in the back really pins you down to prevent circle-strafing too early, very well designed :D. I'm not sure how the map is supposed to progress normally because I found the secret by the backpack, FUCK that soulsphere run. I swear about at least 75% of the time that I tried to SR50 to the teleporter I would skip the linedefs, fix that please! The rocket --> imp/AV fight is a classic, no complaints there. The invul fight felt kind of unnecessary, idk, I'm usually against using invuls at all unless there's some interesting strategic use you can get out of them. But it was quick enough so oh'well. The last arena was also great, felt like a proper and dangerous ending. My only complaint is the perched AVs and revs when you enter the room that aren't very threatening, just tedious to remove.

Time to play 15-17 now

Is that Xargon music I recognize on Map13? I used to play that game and always really liked it,the music especially

Ribbiks: thanks, will watch later! Im open to fix alot, not just bugs :) The maps are all kinda speedmaps, thus the gameplay was rushed too :)

Lord: I cant remember the midis atm, will check out when I get home

continued.. (here's more fdas: http://www.mediafire.com/?3x470giv4g9q9y8 )

map15
great sparse map, getting the revs distracted by the cyb so you can grab the BFG was a neat gimmick, and I guess the plasma is always there should that fail to work. Overall a short and sweet map, easy, but enjoyable. The only letdown was the "final" fight that was just 2 barons. It would be redundant at that point to stack in more AVs or cybs, but I think it would be neat if you have the barons distract you while PEs or something tele behind, just to make it feel more conclusive.

btw: texture alignment

map16
pretty good overall. I died at the BFG spam thing towards the end, damn AVs. Probably could've survived if I was less terrible. this AV placement was awesome, I approve :). I have a strong dislike of cybs that you have to camp and waste time/ammo on, please remove the one that teles after the BK pickup. I was going to complain that there's too much health ammo scattered throughout the red/blue key areas, but seeing as I didn't beat the last area anyway... ohwell :p

tex alignment

map17
Grime+Disturbia ey? Pretty fun right from the start, I'm glad the cyb was telefraggable, would've been a waste of ammo otherwise. Most of the map was very doable, the final fight after the 3-key switch was pretty insane. It can definitely be played safely by camping, but not knowing where all those AVs were gonna go was pretty stressful, I liked it :) I also like the lighting around the slimefalls, I'm probably going to steal that :p.

Overall: really solid maps, right up my alley. Impressively fun gameplay, especially considering how quickly you made these apparently. I'll be looking forward to your future stuffs.

RIP headphone users on death exits. :) Could you make them less loud? You don't really need all these barrels I think, just telefragging the boss + voodoo doll at the same time should be enough? Or you could just use normal exits and let people decide how they want to play... Since you're a demo enthusiast, I'll present this argument: death exits on each map make multi-level runs quite uninteresting, if not pointless at all. (maps play the same as in single-level runs)

LodiB88: There is this nifty little program for recognizing Doom midis, it's called Notepad. You just open a music file with it and often there will be some author/song info in the first few lines. Recommended. ;)

Memfis said:

RIP headphone users on death exits. :) Could you make them less loud? You don't really need all these barrels I think, just telefragging the boss + voodoo doll at the same time should be enough? Or you could just use normal exits and let people decide how they want to play... Since you're a demo enthusiast, I'll present this argument: death exits on each map make multi-level runs quite uninteresting, if not pointless at all. (maps play the same as in single-level runs)

LodiB88: There is this nifty little program for recognizing Doom midis, it's called Notepad. You just open a music file with it and often there will be some author/song info in the first few lines. Recommended. ;)

Good idea actually, but unfortunately it didn't work out here. The only level that has info for it is Map14, which I had prerecognized as a Fury3 song because I was familiar with it and its source from another wad.

Uh, worked for me. Extract D_DOOM2 with XWE, open with Notepad, see:

MThd   `MTrk яQЎ я/ MTrk I я7Xargon, Volume 1: Beyond Reality - "Caverns' Fury" v1.1 °
o ° а @ °e °d ° °
o ° а @ А0 °e °d ° °
o ° а @ А0 °e °d ° °
o ° а @ А0 ђCcGЂCcђ?cGЂ?cђCc/ЂCcђ>cGЂ>cђCc/ЂCcђ?cGЂ?cђCc/ЂCcђ>cGЂ>cђ?c/Ђ?cђ>c/Ђ>cђ:cGЂ:cђCc/ЂCcђ?cGЂ?

Hey these looked and played quite good for speedmaps, for the most part.
-Map12 I had a hard time finding the exit one I'd actually beaten it, also the start was much harder than the second half.
-Map13 I found a lot easier than the others, almost beat it on my first playthrough until I flinched at the cyberdemon, whereas the other ones took me a few tries to get oriented.
-I wasn't thrilled about the start of 16, seems like it just encourages a lot of time-killing waiting for monsters to kill each other off, though I guess that works quite differently if it's speedrun-oriented.

I'd post some FDAs but I was playing pretty ineptly at times so only by request :P

Do you have title/intermission pics to add already? If so I can help you get them in the wad if you still need help, that's quite easy. I could maybe make you some mapname graphics too if you need them. (edit: surely there exists a tool for this by now? e2: zdoom can do it, good.) BTW Plutonia textures are great, no complaints for using them.

Memf: Yes, I'll redo the rexits so they wont be as noisy =) I do want to force death, though.

Ribbiks: super mega thanks =) I noticed quite alot to change and fix. I especially need to rethink the secret-system in map 14. That linedef skipping was weird though, I never managed to do that =)

Some parts in most of the maps, especially map13 and map15 seemed way too easy. That's what I get for not testing the maps in each thinkable way ;)

I'll be away for the weekend, but I'll get right on in when I'm back.

Thanks again =)

Just a quick comment on map 14 and the invul. The invul is only revealed if you take the secret approach to the blue key. I thought teleporting the player right infront of two viles, 10-12 chaingunners, a cyber and some revs would be too evil :p If you go the intentional approach the viles and chaingunners would be taken care of before you return and unleash the cyber and revs.

The secret way is too easy to find. Oh, and the vile in the last area/arena is there for really obvious speedrunning reasons :p

Behold the ludicrous craze of a sleepwalker:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/pw1beta_FDAs.rar
Great man, I've always had a boner for Plutonia-style maps, and you've got some really nice ones in here. Gameplay has some strong AV vibes (especially 14, feels like something of Brad Spencer fame), though most of the time it's more or less Plutonia.
That last fight in 16 was some haphazardous blastfest, fucked up completely on my first go (well, hehe, having bfg and a fuckton of cellpacks doesn't make you indestructible, so rushing right into the horde was a bad idea), took more careful approach next time, but still had my ass fried up several times and almost got smashed in there. Cool adrenaline booster anyway, I liked it. And great map overall, nice combination of Plutonia-like approach with slaughter moments. We should have more speedmaps like this, really.
17 initially got me off-guard with its low monster count, so I paid for that mistake. Really nice one, this time it's something SoD-esque. Well thought out monster placement. I've noticed slight HOM near the switch revealing passageway to the exit, shot it with plasma in my demo just in case.

Thanks for making my evening!

Sorry for bumping all the time.

Here is version 2. I'll keep this one up for a while, while I figure out how to add a titlepic (and I need to make one too) and stuff.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cwda1v

Plums: I totally missed your post until now :o I'll figure out the titlepic stuff myself =) Cant really be that hard heh. Share your FDAs if you want to. If you are embarrased you can PM them :P Or you can NOT share them at all if you dont want to =)

Here's a pack of FDAs for maps 12 to 15 : link
( These were recorded using pw1beta2, -complevel 9 )

Good stuff. My favorite so far is 14, great Arch-Vile scenarios. :)

I didn't like the secret requiring an AV Jump ( or so it seems ) on map 12, but that's just me. Aside from that it's a nice little map.
Also these glowing green/brown textures are so cool, I wish they were used to a greater extent in the original Plutonia.

13 is awesome, although I'd have appreciated a bit more health near the Red key. Two Stimpacks won't do much against an army of Revenants and 2 or 3 Viles :p
The opening sequence with the raising blood river is quite cool.

14 is really good ( what I've seen of it, that is ). The switch in the Supercharge secret area intrigued me. I'll definitely retry this one.

15 felt a bit easy in comparison with the previous maps, despite the multiple Cyberdemons and the AV pack. A solid level nevertheless. :)
Maybe you could spice up the Yellow key trap... ?

darkreaver said:

Plums: I totally missed your post until now :o I'll figure out the titlepic stuff myself =) Cant really be that hard heh. Share your FDAs if you want to. If you are embarrased you can PM them :P Or you can NOT share them at all if you dont want to =)

And here I was thinking you just didn't like me ;) I think you have enough better FDAs for testing by now, I really was playing poorly even for me so I don't know that you'd get much from them.

SLADE is the tool to use for adding gfx, titlepics etc need to be 320x200, SLADE will auto-convert them to the right format and palette but if the colours of your image are too different from the Doom palette it will look quite bad.

A program called DoomWord generates mapname (CWILVxx) graphics easily: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=892887#post892887

Hey, cool, new Darkreaver maps. How did I not see this before? A nice unexpected treat, I always enjoy your maps.

Here are FDAs (on beta 2) for maps 12-16, since you seem to like them. I was doing pretty well up until map 16, which is a DNF....not because I didn't like it, mind, but because I didn't have any more time to play (same reason there's no FDA for map 17).

A few comments....

Map 12: Pretty simple, definitely feels like a speedmap. I'd say that teleporting the blue key guys out into the main area is more of a boon to the player than a 'trap.' Found the secret at just the right time, felt good.

Map 13: Finished this one by the skin of my teeth. Those arch-viles....most of them can be handled, but the ones that appear at the back of each wave/phalanx are baaaaaad news. Something that might be worth mentioning is that if someone has seen the deep blood canal setup once (e.g. they die on the first attempt), they might well figure out that the arch-viles down there can all be seriously neutered by instantly dashing down one of the switch-branches at the start, leading the revenants away and killing them down there, thus depriving the viles of bodies to resurrect.

Map 14: More pressuring vile usage, I'm surprised I didn't get hurt worse fighting the double chaingunner squads. The rocket launcher fight is easy but very entertaining. I got cute with the first cyber thinking I might be able to put him to work for me, and as a result was kicking myself during the last fight. Was surprised there was no combat down by the exit, seemed a little anticlimactic.

Map 15: Liked this one a lot, aesthetically speaking reminded me of 'Gozu' (I think) from the first Combat Shock, breaks up the traditional Plutonia theme nicely. Small number of monsters, perfect amount of ammo. The BFG is just there to mock me, isn't it?

Map 16: Pretty weird map, never seen one quite like this from you before. Almost seems like an 'experimental' map, especially with most of the actual play space being entirely optional. I essentially win the map early on (dumb luck mostly), but 'curiosity killed the cat.' Never was able to finish again after that, although I got close once. The big clusterfuck arena is pretty damn dull/blank-looking, might want to stick some inverted crosses (like the ones from map 13) or something outside of the play space in the final release.

Anyway, overall it's fun, as expected (Might do an FDA for 17 eventually). Renews my anticipation for Revelations of Doom. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Demon of the Well said:

Map 16: Pretty weird map, never seen one quite like this from you before. Almost seems like an 'experimental' map, especially with most of the actual play space being entirely optional.

Haha, wow...I was adjusting the bars you jumped across to the exit last night, and apparently forgot to move them back, you are not supposed to be able to jump there, haha =) Map broken. FDAs to the rescue ;) I wanted to make it rocket-jumpable, but I suck big time at tricks like that, so I dunno. At least I'll move them back again.

Very well played on all maps. Most maps are harder now than in beta 1. Example: none of the archies supporting the revs in map13 existed before =)

Wilou: Thanks, will watch the FDAs in a few.
No archvile jump is ever needed for triggering secrets (especially not in map12), but there are a few hidden surprises in some of the maps that require some kind of "trick" now and then (but the sectors are not tagged as secrets, so they are optional for UV-maxing).

Map15 might be a little easier, indeed, but I just felt lik having it in that slot :P I'll look into the yellow key fight =)

Just played map 12. Here's an FDA; a few deaths, but it does exit.

Fun stuff. I like the chaotic feel. The exit is just a touch out-of-the-way, but no biggie.

One bug to note- the death exit failed to actually kill me. I had two health left and entered the next map with my weapons.

The demo: http://www.mediafire.com/download/l17e6p246pfqv7a/pwinds12.lmp

EDIT: Map 13 notes:
I wound up turning it down to HMP here. It was kinda funny, really; the second Vile is what prompted me to do it... and then, much to my dismay, I found him still there!

Anyways, I don't know what the actual differences between the difficulties are, but HMP was tough, but fun. I noticed that you disabled the automap; I don't know if I like that choice. I guess it keeps the "rising blood" a surprise, but I don't know if that's really reason enough.

Here's the demo of my UV attempts that you probably don't want to watch because it's just me dying to the second Vile over and over:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ateoourrf7yimw2/pwinds13.lmp

And here's the HMP demo that, eventually, exits:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3gxka7maw79c1a2/pwinds13HMP.lmp

EDIT: Map 14 notes:
I put it back up to UV for this one. Haven't beaten it, but only because I ran out of time; I was thoroughly enjoying myself. This map fucking kicks ass. I agree with what was said above that it has a bit of a "Brad Spencer" feel, although the use of Arch-Viles is unique and very cool. Love the one in the Red Key fight, especially; "go for health, and risk waking up the Vile, or don't go for health, and be bleeding while cleaning up the last enemies" is an interesting decisions.

Here's the FDA (No exits): http://www.mediafire.com/download/qt8csyjl34okp88/pwinds14UV.lmp

EDIT: Ok, I actually lied before; I found a bit of time before I went to bed, and went ahead and finished this one. There's a demo, but you don't want to watch it (about a million *really* stupid deaths early before the successful run).

I think the secret with the "alternate" blue key may make things a bit too easy, if the player chooses that route. At the very least, I'd say remove that blue key and make the player go through the fights he'd normally have to; two Soulspheres is enough of a reward, IMO. I also agree with whoever said "fuck the run to the second Soulsphere". That's a real pain in the ass for those of us who suck at "straferun from point A to point B fast". I agree with what was written above with liking how the end feels threatening. It's actually quite easy if you keep your wits about you (I never fell below 160 health in the final arena), but the sheer number of Revs combined with the large Cyb number (always intimidating in small areas) and the surgical PEs makes it feel a lot more dangerous than it really is.

Bug: another death exit fail.
Here's the demo: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c3pamz636n3qcbt/pwinds14UV2.lmp

Anyways, kickass map! It kinda reminds me of "Brad Spencer's Ep 2 AV maps meets Scythe pacing"- even the name seems sorta like a play on "Suicidal Tendencies".

It may be a while before I can get to the rest of this (will likely be busy for the rest of this week, and won't have access to a computer than can play Doom [seriously] next week), but I can't wait to see the other maps. Right now, this is one seriously awesome wad.

Funny you'd bump this thread right now, as I was just about to post another version of the WAD =) Thanks for demos and feedback! They came in a little late, but I'll have a look ;)

Those death exits were bugging me too, but I think I've got it covered in this version =)

ANOTHER MAP (map18) is added.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/auubfi

map18 lacks HMP difficulty but I'll add it before releasing it to /idgames.

And that brings me to this question:
Wanst there some new way to upload to /idgames just recently? Or? It's still FTP, right?

I think the only change was that after uploading you have to respond to an email to verify it was actually you who uploaded it, or something.

btw the new map kicks ass, here's a demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?2bbkiycexe88skj

I thought I might've broken something by getting AV blasted into a key, but turns out it wasn't a big deal. Very fun layout, great monster placement. There was a plethora of health which encouraged aggressive playing and general jackassery, though I thought the invul was overkill, might be more appropriate if it was a megasphere on UV? btw blaster master is amazing, probably my favorite NES game, awesome soundtrack!

graphical nitpicks:
- I feel like this room should be dark, or at least textured..
- alignment

Out of curiosity, why did you pick mapslots 12-18, do you intend on making an entire megawad out of this?

FDA for map18. Great map. But poor playthrough, careless and inaccurate. Still, I find your maps to be very forgiving so that I can allow for plentiful fuck-ups to happen and still stay on course after that. And I like it actually, masochism should be laid to rest from time to time. So - lots of mistakes but no deaths, though I may recall at least one moment of an obvious luck which would normally end up with me being sprayed with lead.

I must say that I've become a fan of your work. I played some of your maps before, and shortly after having fun with pw1 I also took care of all the others I could find that were previously unknown to me. All I can say after doing so - your stuff is an absolute hit most of the time, and even when it isn't - it's still cool anyway and is definitely worth player's time. Thanks for your effort, and keep up the good work.

Thanks alot guys! Very helpful. Good thing you mentioned the invul Ribbiks! I totally forgot it was even there, I never used it in my playthroughs :P I'll keep the map as it is now (except for the invul which will be a mega) for HMP and toughen it up a little in general for UV.

I chose the mapslots simply because I wanted the red sky :P Have no idea how to add a sky lol. I will certainly make more maps, but I dont know when, so much school going on and I also have lots of other Doom-stuff to finish (aaargh, only 24 hours a day aint enough I tell you!). I guess I'll release PW as parts, and then merge them when/if I get enough maps sometime.

darkreaver said:

Thanks alot guys! Very helpful. Good thing you mentioned the invul Ribbiks! I totally forgot it was even there, I never used it in my playthroughs :P I'll keep the map as it is now (except for the invul which will be a mega) for HMP and toughen it up a little in general for UV.

I chose the mapslots simply because I wanted the red sky :P Have no idea how to add a sky lol. I will certainly make more maps, but I dont know when, so much school going on and I also have lots of other Doom-stuff to finish (aaargh, only 24 hours a day aint enough I tell you!). I guess I'll release PW as parts, and then merge them when/if I get enough maps sometime.

If you want to add a sky:
1. Download SLADE.
2. Open your wad in SLADE.
3. Add the sky image to the wad file.
4. Name the sky "SKYx" where "x" is the episode you want it in.
5. Save and test. Your new sky should appear in game.

EDIT: apparently the Plutonia IWAD works a bit differently. Google.turned this up: http://mancubus.net/forums/index.php?topic=1005.0