Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 2 [post Compet-N entries here]

If I somehow managed to find someone, are you allowed to die when doing a Coop speedrun? Especially if it's an episode/movie.

If it is at the end of a map, and any corpses are still moving (in any axis) at the time you exit, then you are definitely OK.

If you die and respawn mid-map, then this definitely disqualifies it as a compet-n entry. For DSDA purposes (and for the DW Demos forum), this would make it a special category "Coop with deaths". So if you have an especially interesting idea that involves deaths, then don't abandon it completely; just view it as a different category, and not for compet-n.

Perhaps the name "coop with deaths" is a bit confusing because it doesn't make it very clear whether you're allowed to just die (and wait for the others to finish) or die and respawn to continue fighting. So maybe something like "One life coop" and "Infinite life coop" would be better?

Grazza said:

If it is at the end of a map, and any corpses are still moving (in any axis) at the time you exit, then you are definitely OK.

I guess it's also okay when:
Corpse is moving and you get the final hit on doom2 map30 boss, but the corpse stops before the map actually finishes.

I mean, how lame would it be to disqualify such demos? :P Especially if the player whose corpse stopped, also made the killing blow, thus finishing the map.

Looper: I agree with you completely, but some people have different views for coop, which is why I phrased it the way I did.

BK: Yes, subject to what I posted above.

Ch0wW said in pm01c153.txt
Anyway, to find best optimised routes, we needed lots of tries. I have to kill the mastermind as the priority at the end.
Also, rockets don't do nothing, and SSG does more damage, right ?

If you're wondering what is faster in this situation, rocket launcher should be slightly faster (and much slower than plasma, but it's not there). In the same time you shoot 5 rockets you only make 2 (actually something like 1.9) SSG shots. And in this case (very wide monster) rockets can't miss and a few pellets may miss.

Cool ending.

Yeah fun demo, except Ch0wW had several ugly misses. Is that because of lag or just inexperience in uv-maxes? Keep in mind that it's usually better to spend a little time but aim properly rather than shoot chaotically and completely miss. I've always been very guilty of the latter, can never stay calm and reasonable when racing against the clock.

Memfis said:

Yeah fun demo, except Ch0wW had several ugly misses. Is that because of lag or just inexperience in uv-maxes? Keep in mind that it's usually better to spend a little time but aim properly rather than shoot chaotically and completely miss. I've always been very guilty of the latter, can never stay calm and reasonable when racing against the clock.

It's because of the lag, making my aim really awful... Also, the revenants are always a pain, so predicting them is another thing I've to do in order to kill them...

vdgg : thanks mate for the precision :D

Ch0wW and JCD, I'm just curious - what kind of network shell you have used for vanilla gaming over internet?

And keep in mind what Plutonia coop prefix for both max and speed is "pc".

Hitherto said:

Ch0wW and JCD, I'm just curious - what kind of network shell you have used for vanilla gaming over internet?

And keep in mind what Plutonia coop prefix for both max and speed is "pc".

We're making demos on Windows 98 with the IPX protocol :)
I'm half-joking ; we use DosBox on IPX to play online ; that's simple enough :D !

Also, how could you differenciate between Plutonia UVMax & Plutonia UVSpeed if using the same 2letters codename?

Ch0wW said:

We're making demos on Windows 98 with the IPX protocol :)

No joke. Such method exist. Via ifrag & tcp/ip packet driver, if I remembering right. Almost no lags with good internet connection. Of course, win9x "retro pc" is required.

Also, how could you differenciate between Plutonia UVMax & Plutonia UVSpeed if using the same 2letters codename?

By time, I guess. Anyway it's not so important. Follow to common naming conventions is more important. For example, "pm" prefix even not exists in the prboom-plus demo patterns list, so this demo can't be played automatically.

Hitherto said:

No joke. Such method exist. Via ifrag & tcp/ip packet driver, if I remembering right. Almost no lags with good internet connection. Of course, win9x "retro pc" is required.

Hence the fact it was half a joke ; I've still my Win98 computer with Doom / DOOM2 and DooM95 , and I do still play online with it :)

But Prboom is still updated with the time ; so it's not that important ; but we'll make it for our next demos :D

I've been too lazy to wrap up these 2 demos. Finally here they are
The coop demo was from back in August, when I was in Germany in a Course Study Trip
The Ultimate Doom E3M1 Coop UV Max in 0:50 with Termrork
Final Doom: Plutonia Map11 Coop UV Speed in 0:36 with Termrork
Memento Mori 2 Map01 UV Max in 1:14

kimocn.zip

Oh You're right, it's unfortunate, we had some slower time 0:55 (I think) which I've lost.
I talked a bit about my trip in Germany in that demo's txt, I should not use demo txts as a blog lol :)

Edited by kimo_xvirus