Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

New Shadow Warrior game looks pretty awesome

Doomhuntress said:

the days of buying physical copies for games on PC has pretty much been numbered with all of the numerous DRM-services and shit that's been infesting them. you're better off buying a DRM-free copy, buy a pack of DVDs, and give your friends copies of the game. more value for the money than having it on an "official shelf game", wouldn't you say?

And so DRM has ruined gaming for me since requiring an all powerful internet connection I can't for the life of me get for quite a few years.

Avoozl said:

And so DRM has ruined gaming for me since requiring an all powerful internet connection I can't for the life of me get for quite a few years.

...or, you know, get a DRM-free copy. :P

Doomhuntress said:

you're better off buying a DRM-free copy, buy a pack of DVDs, and give your friends copies of the game. more value for the money than having it on an "official shelf game", wouldn't you say?

I really don't have to ponder how I get best value for my money. Burned game is never the same as official game with good looking case and perhaps a manual and other flyers etc. You get the idea.

I'm not particularly interested, Never been a fan of Shadow Warrior or Hard Reset and especially not Painkiller to begin with. But I'll buy it just so I can check it out.

It's not much like the original Shadow Warrior, Hard Reset or Painkiller really. It's kind of like a first person Devil may Cry. You'll mostly be using your sword and the game rewards you for mixing up your attacks. It handles secrets in a way similar to Hard Reset I suppose and has a similar upgrade systems, but that's about the only signature Flying Wild Hog thing I noticed. Shadow Warrior is it's own beast, and it does it's own thing pretty well.

Touchdown said:

I haven't played the game but I've watched the beta something build being played. Each joke sounded like something that clearly is meant to be funny... but it's not. Besides, I simply love it how people everywhere (forums, previews) keep saying "the original SW was so racist"... Bullshit. It's like people who say Duke3D was filled with strippers even though there was only ONE strip club in the entire game.

There was enough racism to get complaints made about it which is enough for sensible developers to take a step back. I guess what's bugging me is the idea that Lo Wang's character is being CENSORED by the PC POLICE and they're COMPROMISING 3D REALMS VISION when really what Flying Wild Hog are doing is just being professionals.

Well, I've played up to and past the first boss, and I am enjoying it so far. The game is fairly linear with a bit of sidestepping options with secrets. But I rarely bother with secrets cause I usually don't find secrets all that fascinating. (There are of course exceptions to that, where the secret area offers something special, rather than just more stuff)

Anyway, the swordplay is pretty good, I'm having some fun with that. Guns I got so far feel mostly weak compared to the sword. But they can be useful for taking some safe shots and they feel nice enough on their own.

The boss fight was the most memorable of the fights. He was pretty buff and I ended up dashing in to dodge him and stab him hard in the face or back then backing out to heal up.

The dashing movements are nice, lets you actually dodge in fights.

Level design is functional, but entirely forgettable. Basically more Wolfenstein 3d maps, just like every other FPS these days.

It's a decent game with lots of monsters dying and I'm enjoying it for what it is. But it don't think it'll be remembered in a year. But at least it won't be remembered for taking a massive dump on the source material (Like Syndicate is) nor an embarassment(like Duke 4never).

Still, the fact the thread started to dis it, then buy it, the hail it - is quite enjoyable in it's own right. Granted, I still don't have a machine to run such a game. Granted, this didn't stop me from buying RotT, Rage, etc...

Jodwin said:

I feel like we're a tad spoiled with our expectations of varying heights, interesting layouts, good monster placement and interconnectivity in level design - things that are very rare in commercial releases nowadays. Sadly, that is also a trend that's unlikely to change unless something really drastic happens...

But why did level design change so drastically? Is there simply a lack of interest in maze-like layouts? Is it because realistic graphics demand a more linear approach?

GoatLord said:

But why did level design change so drastically? Is there simply a lack of interest in maze-like layouts? Is it because realistic graphics demand a more linear approach?

Maze-like layouts disappeared because games are being made for the lowest common denominator - that is the people who hate getting lost in those mazes. It's telling that some reviews for Shadow Warrior complain about the levels being too maze-like and the reviewers don't like the puzzles, even though they're in fact very simple.

Not only that. Back in the day, you could draw a few lines in 10 minutes , finish the secret and have something coherent. Nowadays, you simply can't do that without making it feel weird. If the game is realistic and has a lot of attention to detail (like Doom 3), each room has to indicate that it could have a real life purpose. That includes cluttering, much more careful lighting than in Doom, props. This could take up to an hour to do properly in a smaller room. Because of this, it is very unreasonable to expect secrets as big as the COMPTALL maze from E1M2. The best we can expect from old-school games is maybe half that size.

Finally, because of all the clutter, it's much harder to make landmarks in a map and because of this, even experienced players may get lost. I've experienced this in Metro: Last Light. I am not joking.

DooM_RO said:

Not only that. Back in the day, you could draw a few lines in 10 minutes , finish the secret and have something coherent. Nowadays, you simply can't do that without making it feel weird. If the game is realistic and has a lot of attention to detail (like Doom 3), each room has to indicate that it could have a real life purpose. That includes cluttering, much more careful lighting than in Doom, props. This could take up to an hour to do properly in a smaller room. Because of this, it is very unreasonable to expect secrets as big as the COMPTALL maze from E1M2. The best we can expect from old-school games is maybe half that size.

It takes more work than before, but not necessarily that much work. For example, Deus Ex Human Revolution had fairly spartan side areas in it in some sections, yet they fit perfectly in. Considering that development teams are also much larger than in mid-90's, it should pretty much break even in regards to time required.

I really need to play Hard Reset.

I've been enjoying the combat of the game quite a bit. Can't be arsed to write an essay on why, but it's really quite good. Especially once you get deeper into the game and you start getting more enemies, and more different enemies, as well as different moves and weapons to use.

For once I am also enjoying the boss fights. You'll fight a boss that is eerily reminiscent of fighting the cyberdemon in Doom1 the first time. Not only because it's a bigass bull demon. But also because it requires moving and dodging as well as perseverance to take him out.

As I prophesied there is now physical copy of the shadow warrior 2013 for sale. Next I'm waiting physical copy release of shadow run returns, there is physical copy for original backers of the game but that was very limited run.

Kinda ironic how I used to be all "I'll never start buying games without a physical copy blah di blah di blah". Now I never buy physical copies. Don't even have any optical drives in my home anymore.

kristus said:

Kinda ironic how I used to be all "I'll never start buying games without a physical copy blah di blah di blah". Now I never buy physical copies. Don't even have any optical drives in my home anymore.

heh, the only reason I have a preference for a physical copy (if pricing isn't a factor) is that it takes two days to download an 8gb title, which will also eat into my monthly download limit.

I'll try the new Shadow Warrior some time, probably catch it in a Steam sale.

I got friend who downloads everything and buys from steam but after digital download services like steam eventually cease to be, I want see how he handles loosing all the games and money go up in smoke.

If steam would disappear tomorrow. I would still have my games on my computer. So that's not really an issue. Only multiplayer games that don't have dedicated servers would be impacted in any real and meaningful way.

kristus said:

If steam would disappear tomorrow. I would still have my games on my computer. So that's not really an issue. Only multiplayer games that don't have dedicated servers would be impacted in any real and meaningful way.

And if your computer would fry all would be lost with it.