Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

I'm still following this thread. I'm very bored lately, so I might pick up mapping again because its very tempting seeing all of these awesome submissions. :)

I still am and I still visit doomworld daily, no worries. =) I've also continued work on my own map recently, with "Nabataea" being somewhere around 80% completion or so.

As for the other maps, I'm thinking of removing the specific-map slots and simply have people make maps per episode and the first 32 to get turned in will be the 32 we use in the final wad. The map order can be determined once I have 32 maps. How does that sound?

Well, it's already getting close to the 32 goal. I suggest simply taking the slots from people who haven't replied in a month or so, and let them get mapped by other people here.

Well, I've edited the first post. From now on, it's first come first served. The first 32 maps I receive are the ones I'll be using for the final product.

As a side-note, we might want to start looking out for a few custom images. A new title-screen would be the foremost priority.

Right now I'm trying to decide what to do with the center area. I had some aggro'd Archviles teleport in while you aren't looking in an attempt to revive some of the monsters, but I actually managed to make it unwinnable on UV in doing so (far too many monsters, not enough cover from Archvile fire). Gonna need to rethink that.

Agentbromsnor said:

Well, it's already getting close to the 32 goal. I suggest simply taking the slots from people who haven't replied in a month or so, and let them get mapped by other people here.

Please just don't throw away the finished maps, I'm still very proud of my opening map. XD

i totally forgot about this one... if someone can't finish his map i could probably make another one. one side note: all my maps are intended released under the freedoom license, if possible.

I'd like to finish my second entry again. I had a pretty severe HD crash a couple of months ago, but I already downloaded GZDoom Builder again and I'm pretty much ready to go. :)

I should note that mine needs testing still as none was done. Also, would I be able to make some changes later and still keep my spot?

@Katamori Thanks mate. You'll probably change your mind when you play it though, heh.

I know my map went down with my Fileden account, but I'm tidying up another version right now.

Map's taking me 40 minutes to go through on UV, though. (Not counting any time lost between saving and dying.) It's funny, because I didn't think I'd made it that long.

Agentbromsnor said:

Okay, I'm gonna continue working on my second entry.

Also, if somebody is looking for a test player, I'm feeling up for the task!

Yes please, sunshine. It's a mess though.

I WAS going to show some screenshots of the map I'm working on right now, but apparently I can't, because in both Zandronum and PRBoom the screenshots show up black. I never had this before, so my guess is that this is yet another bug in the software or something.

Edit: No, the build-in screenshot function in Zandronum doesn't work either.

Anyway. I just tested my map in PRBoom and it looks fine.

FINALLY, I just said "fuck it" and made some screenshots using FRAPS:

Note that the screenshot has a sort of blue haze for some reason. The map doesn't have this, obviously. Its just some artifact that FRAPS has.

So, I updated the first post again to include all completed maps I've received so far. We're down to 23 complete in total! Not counting my own Nabataea map, we need eight more maps to meet the total of 32.

Keeper of Jericho said:

So, I updated the first post again to include all completed maps I've received so far. We're down to 23 complete in total! Not counting my own Nabataea map, we need eight more maps to meet the total of 32.

Awesome! It's down to the last phase then!

I think I have Boiling with Hatred done within a week or so.

Agentbromsnor said:

Let me know when its done, and I'll happily give it a spin. :P

It's practically done sunshine. I really want to see if the other difficulties are okay before I give it the seal of cr.. I mean completion.

Springy said:

It's practically done sunshine. I really want to see if the other difficulties are okay before I give it the seal of cr.. I mean completion.

If its easier for you, you can add me on Skype. I also like to have a playtester handy for my map, so. :P

Springy said:

Check steam. I turned up eventually.

Oh, okay cheers lads! Yeah, I don't mind play testing your level later. I'll probably give results to you tomorrow.

First off, I think I've pored over this map long enough. Finally did difficulty changes - UV is suitably intense, HNTR is easier (although I dunno how much easier), HMP should be somewhere in-between. The column trap in the blue room moves faster on higher difficulties, which should be good for anyone who's trying to speedrun it (although since it takes me a good 40 minutes to run through, ignoring secrets, I dunno what an actual speedrun of this would look like - I'll be impressed if anyone's stubborn enough to see one through).

Have at it here, and don't hesitate to tell me if I missed anything, minor or major.

As for Anarchy.wad, I gave it a brief whirl in GZDoom last night (HMP, I think). Seemed okay; thought it could use some more health pickups, although since there's a Megasphere in the final room, it might be okay as a simple endurance run. Also thought it could use some armor, until I'd basically finished the map and went secret hunting and saw that blue armor I missed.

Only have a few niggling concerns: the computer texture at the far end of the Archvile's ambush corridor is somewhat misaligned, and then to the right of me, where the blue key door is, the little triangular structures jutting out show up as yellow instead of red - obviously because they're actually a zero-height sector instead of being one-sided walls, but you might want to mark them as Secret to obfuscate that.

Finally, I do have an idea for TITLEPIC/INTERPIC/BOSSBACK et al... still brewing it, though. I decided to sequence my own MIDI of the music I was thinking of in question instead of modifying somebody else's, and that's gonna take a bit. (However, I did hint at it in the screenshot thread...)

Shadow Hog said:

As for Anarchy.wad, I gave it a brief whirl in GZDoom last night (HMP, I think). Seemed okay; thought it could use some more health pickups, although since there's a Megasphere in the final room, it might be okay as a simple endurance run. Also thought it could use some armor, until I'd basically finished the map and went secret hunting and saw that blue armor I missed.

Only have a few niggling concerns: the computer texture at the far end of the Archvile's ambush corridor is somewhat misaligned, and then to the right of me, where the blue key door is, the little triangular structures jutting out show up as yellow instead of red - obviously because they're actually a zero-height sector instead of being one-sided walls, but you might want to mark them as Secret to obfuscate that.

Cheers for that. I kind of rushed the end seeing as I wanted this done and out the way. I am not sure how I missed that misalignment (that part was done a lot earlier this year when I felt like getting more into mapping again). I'll correct these problems and also take Eris' advice about something that I have forgotten about so thanks guys. Oh, just a thought wouldn't marking that as a secret mean that 100% secrets isn't possible?

That's tagging a sector with special 9 (I think? It's either that or 7). Marking a linedef as "Secret" makes it appear as a one-sided linedef in the automap, so you don't give away the existence of hidden doors.

Shadow Hog said:

That's tagging a sector with special 9 (I think? It's either that or 7). Marking a linedef as "Secret" makes it appear as a one-sided linedef in the automap, so you don't give away the existence of hidden doors.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll work on the map sometime this week as I'm still exhausted from drawing those last three rooms (from blue door part) the other day.