Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

How soon after Doom 4 do we get Doom 5?

Just to fill the forum with useless topics. I'd like to ask.... how soon after Doom 4 do we get Doom 5? Does it turn into a once every year or two game or will we get it in another 10 years? Throw in your feelings.

Back in 2008, John Carmack said their ideal plan is to release Doom 4 sooner than people would think then make Doom 5 as a launch title of next-gen consoles. This plan obviously didn't go well, but it shows id didn't want to wait another five years for another Doom project.

Assuming the positive scenario in which DOOM 4 is a relative success and id doesn't get shut down...

After DOOM 4 (which won't come out before 2015+) id will probably make a Quake game - they already said they don't want to make another IP for a while and the the next game probably won't be RAGE. This will take them, I don't know, another 5-7 years? Then the might return to RAGE. Wolf will probably remain in hands of other developers. So another 5-7 years for RAGE and then another 5-7 years for DOOM 5. So... 15-21 years after DOOM 4.

Avoozl said:

Would be awesome if they attempted a Quake 5: Arena 2, but it's not likely to ever happen.

Word is that the next Quake game will be based off of the first one, same atmosphere and such. Dunno if it's going to be a remake or sequel or what, though.

PRIMEVAL said:

Word is that the next Quake game will be based off of the first one, same atmosphere and such. Dunno if it's going to be a remake or sequel or what, though.

You don't know how happy you've made me.

Quake comes pretty close to Doom in terms of its atmosphere and its bizarre mix of gothic, demonic, futuristic, militant and industrial themes. Returning to that world is something that would be almost as exciting a prospect as a new Doom.

There's no reason to get your hopes up. There was only one little mention of a possibility of going back to Q1 universe in the next Quake game. That's it. Quake is not in the works. Maybe someone at id mentions it once in a while but they're all focused on DOOM 4 now. I'm sure they have no definite plans as to what to do with the next Quake, especially considering that they don't seem to be too sure of what to do with their current project.

If they fuck up Doom 4, we might never see any id games at all after that. If Wolfenstein is a success and D4 fails, I expect them to pick it up.

In the worst case scenario where id screws up and gets shut down, we will still see further DOOM, Quake, RAGE and Wolf games. Bethesda won't just throw away all that investment. But of course who would develop those is an open question.

DOOM is so well known and such a classic it would be sad to see it ever die!!

However, Doom 3 was very different, I liked it, but can see why some didn't. Doom 4 seems to have got off to a bad start (I think) and that is never a good thing. Also I guess modern day gamers are not really Doom fans and its only us old school types left. So the interest may not be there any longer.

Im also pretty sure New Order will come and go quickly. Im sure it will be a good game (already played the demo) and fun to play. However, it was nothing special and quite console-ly along with being very linear and repetitive. I am looking forward to it, but will wait for it to come down in price. I think it will pass through gamers hands quickly.

I don't know what ID's future is looking like, its a shame, I want them to last forever, but I think they just can't keep up with competition. Also John is working with Optical Rift now, so I'm sure getting that 3D dream out will be his true focus.

Lets just hope thats all wrong though :)

id was wise to start over on Doom 4, as their reasoning was "It sucks and doesn't feel like a Doom game," as opposed to the DNF reasoning of "The tech isn't cutting edge and the gameplay isn't innovative enough." They may have their managerial and power struggle issues, but it sounds like they're trying to get their shit together. I'm not going to sit around pipe dreaming that Doom 4 will live up to the downright zany hype the surrounding community has generated, but I am confident that they're going to try their damndest to deliver a product that is better than Doom 3, and that's all we can ask for.

I just really hope that id will, at some point during development, recognize the contributions that the Playstation, Nintendo 64, source ports and endless mods have made, as they're a huge part of Doom's lasting appeal.

I somehow doubt there will ever be another Doom after Doom 4, and even then there may or may not be a slight chance that Doom 4 could be canceled.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-id-Software-RVW3410891.htm

From December the 11th this year.

I have been working at id Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros – The history of the company and the possibility of working on the next big thing is a powerful draw. The pay is reasonable, and there are still some really good people here trying to make the best of the situation. If you're a strong, self-motivated individual, you'll get a chance to learn a lot and grow more than you would at other companies.

Cons – The upper management. Hands down they are the most incompetant, arrogant, and untrustworthy managers I've ever worked for in over ten years in this industry. They are doing such a horrible job that we've lost over a hundred people, including John Carmack, in the last two years. They're bleeding the company dry of time, money, and talent; before they all bail with their golden parachutes. Zenimax is a patient, supportive publisher that takes a hands off approach, which normally would be great, but in this case is allowing the management to waste their time and money. People sit around untasked for weeks or months at a time, until the next publisher demo, so there is lots of time for people to sit around and be nasty to each or play politics to grab whatever favor they can. There is no chance for advancement or career growth, and Zenimax has stopped giving bonuses because the studio consistently fails to deliver. The game itself is re-invented every six months to a year, so there is no foward progress to show for the last two years.

Advice to Senior Management – Zenimax needs to step in and take a hard look at the people they have running the studio. We need drastic changes and real leadership if id software is going to survive into the next generation. To their credit, Zenimax recently installed a corporate "spy" to report to the board about what's going on, but we need real action to confront the challenges we face as a company.
No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I think it's time to stop blaming zenimax.

This makes my blood boil. Maybe we should post this on their twitter just to see their reaction.

From the look of it, it seems that some of them are taking advantage of Bethesda's leniency. I say they should fire the bad ones and promote the good ones.

A "Masters of Doom" part 2 would be very interesting to read.

If they fuck up Doom 4 I want either Valve or Machinegames to make Doom 5 (If Wolfenstein: The New Order turns out to be what I think it is)

I'm kind of on fence about this. To be honest, I don't know who to believe because let's face it: everyone's innocent when you ask them and it's always someone else's fault. How do you know that the dirt that some employees throw at id is completely legit and does not stem from grudge they hold against it? For some reason criticism always seems more 'believable' than favourable opinions to a lot of people. Throw dirt and people take notice, say something positive and it's either ignored or perceived as ass-kissing.

For instance a couple of those 'reviews' say that id sucks and Zenimax is awesome. But hey, ask someone else! Ask Human Head or other studios, they will tell you something completely different.

Maybe it's true. But I wouldn't be so hasty to jump into conclusions.