Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massacrebosco

Will you play the wads that made by a person you hate ?

I don't really follow the community drama so I don't have anyone to hate.

I love Esslebaby though, he is my nipple prince... but if he doesn't release BTSX2 I will thunder-fart of DooM.

Obsidian said:

And let me guess, he climbed back out of hell using the Devil's horns as mountaineering equipment so he could post the latest BD update.

No, you're all wrong. He used Voodoo Nazi magic to possess nuns helping starving children in order to do all that because he was busy skull fucking JKF's corpse in front of his 4,500 child meth slaves.

These days I separate an author's attitude from his/her work. It used to be something I couldn't help considering, but I've gotten past it years ago. It helps that there have only ever been two people I managed to dislike over the Internet though, and only one of them still makes maps.

Sure you have to. Cause you get some more shit to throw at him...

If we think about it, it's probably the people we (well, you; hate is a bad thing, I don't hate anybody) hate the ones that are more likely to bring us outstanding wads. Why? Well, there seems to be a link between mental illness and creativity, which makes me wonder: probably the best wad authors out there are insane, and consequently, more likely to be hated/disliked.

PS: By the way, 14,001 members as I write this.

WildWeasel said:

This isn't an easy question to answer (especially without naming names), but whether I'll "separate the work from the artist" really depends on the level of assholery exhibited by the artist in question. To give it some context, though, I'll probably never play the "Harris levels" on account of what he did.

The Harris levels have benefited from a completely opposite reaction. They're completely run-of-the-mill work that nobody would play or even remember if not for what the author did. I'm not pointing any fingers at the spectacle-seeking public, by the way - I'm also attracted to notoriety and have played the Harris levels for the same voyeuristic reasons as everybody else.

I've never had any bad blood with a good mapper, but if I did I'd probably play his stuff anyway, while desperately looking for flaws to bring up in the forums later.

Creaphis said:

The Harris levels have benefited from a completely opposite reaction. They're completely run-of-the-mill work that nobody would play or even remember if not for what the author did. I'm not pointing any fingers at the spectacle-seeking public, by the way - I'm also attracted to notoriety and have played the Harris levels for the same voyeuristic reasons as everybody else.

There's something to this. I probably would've been much less interested in playing/evaluating Chris Wright's maps if he hadn't been such a mong about everything, for instance. In fact, I may be still more enticed to try out a map which nobody but the author (who's usually a moron, in these cases) says is awesome, which I know is kind of perverse.

In the cases of members who say stupid shit but make really awesome maps, I'm more than willing to forgive their idiocy. As with a lot of others here, it's really hard for anybody online to piss me off that much, and I don't think anybody here has ever had it out for me in the first place.

I ignore any mods created by asshats just so they don't get the views/likes/downloads/etc to advertise their mods.

People who act like jackasses in the physical world deserve no contribution to success in the digital one.

My 2 shells.

(Not that I'd stop anyone else from doing whatever they want.)