Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

next target

I mentioned this in a previous thread, although I didnt get many replies. I think our next task should be to create a complete shareware iwad (that is, a version of the shareware iwad using freedoom resources, the data within would be properly free, not just shareware). I think this is a fairly easily attainable task.

To this end, I have added a shareware wad to the build process:

http://freedoom.despayre.org:81/deutex/wads/doom1.wad.gz
[the freedoom site is currently having problems with its configuration so you may not be able to access this right now]

Note that this will not currently work as an iwad, as it does not yet contain everything that is needed to run the full game.

If you want to help freedoom reach this target, you can find what needs doing by looking through the shareware wadinfo file:

http://freedoom.despayre.org:81/deutex/wadinfo_sw.txt

Some of the entries in this file are commented out (begin with a '#'). All of those which are commented out are things which have not yet been done and are needed for a complete wad.

I talked to NunoC last night, who is planning on working on a replacement for Episode 1. If you wish to help with the levels for this, I suggest you contact him.

Sounds good to me, having the target as the shareware IWAD.

You can put me down to make the DPxxxxx (PC speaker) lumps when we've got all the DS versions (even if none of the ports support the DP lumps, they should still be there I think).

BTW 1: should sprite images use 0,47,47 or 0,255,255 as the transparent color ? My TFOG and IFOG are ready, just need to
know that little detail.

BTW 2, please assign me to PINS (invis sphere) and BOSF (flying cube) sprites.

Ajapted said:
You can put me down to make the DPxxxxx (PC speaker) lumps when we've got all the DS versions (even if none of the ports support the DP lumps, they should still be there I think).

Well, ok. I was going to just put empty dummy resources in for the pc speaker sounds but you can do them if you want. You may have trouble though, afaik the pc speaker format is undocumented and there are no tools for editing them :)

BTW 2, please assign me to PINS (invis sphere) and BOSF (flying cube) sprites. [/B]

Done.

It's because there's no docs/tools that makes the PC speaker stuff a fun little challenge :-)

Also, I've just uploaded the TFOG/IFOG sprites, the PINS sprites, plus a fixed version of the BON2 sprites which had the wrong transparent color.

Well, this might help (from the unofficial Doom Specs):

[7-1]: PC Speaker Sound Effects
===============================

DP* entries in the directory refer to lumps that are sound data for
systems using the PC speaker.
It's a quick and simple format. First is a <short> that's always 0,
then a <short> that's the number of bytes of sound data, then follow
that many bytes worth of sound data. That is, the lump's bytes will be
0, 0, N, 0, then N bytes of data. The DP* lumps range in size from around
10 bytes to around 150 bytes, and the data seem to range from 0 to 96
(0x00 to 0x60). The numbers obviously indicate frequency, but beyond
that I don't know the exact correlation in Hz, nor the time duration
of each byte worth of data. Feel free to figure this out and tell me.

FWIW, I figured it out by trial and error.
Each byte in the DP lump lasts 1/140 second.
Zero byte is silence, otherwise frequency is approximately 2 ^ (7.463 + value * 0.0408) Hz.
Pretty amazing stuff eh :-)

Ajapted said:

FWIW, I figured it out by trial and error.
Each byte in the DP lump lasts 1/140 second.
Zero byte is silence, otherwise frequency is approximately 2 ^ (7.463 + value * 0.0408) Hz.
Pretty amazing stuff eh :-)

Hooray!