Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Well, anyway, if the alignment was too perfect, it'd stick out of Doom/E3 design principles as well. :p

http://www.filedropper.com/e1-3m7nov15

Updated E3M7. Various changes. I added some stairs that raise after you reach certain points, to make backtracking easier. Most misalignments remains. I believe it's good as an E3-spirit map, even though it uses some choices and mechanics not seen in original E3.

Let there the map name I invented earlier, but I doubt I'll be able to come up with better. If you think my maps have unfitting names, feel free to rename them however you wish if it'd be more suitable for the project.

STARTAN misalignments aside, I've never found them much of an issue, but I think this is quite out of place. However I like how you changed the balance of ammo and armors.

scifista42 said:

STARTAN misalignments aside, I've never found them much of an issue, but I think this is quite out of place. However I like how you changed the balance of ammo and armors.

I noticed they are flagged block monster (I think from when they were raised) so the imp is trapped there.

Jaws In Space said:

Okay here's one for E1M4 Removed all of the teleporters. As with the last one, if Saliva doesn't like the changes, then disregard this post.

To be honest, I'm not really pleased with the changes for the following reasons:

- The process of opening both exit doors via those switches takes about 4 seconds, which means difficulty and playtime is reduced.

- If anyone plays this with let's say, Zdoom, those lamps on the pillars in the last room block the Imp's fireballs. They serve as nothing more than target practice that way.

Then again, my contribution to this project isn't really noteworthy, so you have my permission to make changes as you see fit.

Saliva said:

To be honest, I'm not really pleased with the changes for the following reasons:

- The process of opening both exit doors via those switches takes about 4 seconds, which means difficulty and playtime is reduced.

- If anyone plays this with let's say, Zdoom, those lamps on the pillars in the last room block the Imp's fireballs. They serve as nothing more than target practice that way.

Then again, my contribution to this project isn't really noteworthy, so you have my permission to make changes as you see fit.

Yeah that wasn't really meant to be the final version of the map, just a starting point to move it toward the right direction. I think it may be better if the the monsters in the final room were moved to behind the exit doors, this would force the player to fight them instead of just easily bypassing them. As for the lamps in the final room, I guess it would be best if they were simply removed, makes since since there's not even anything there in the original map. Since you are giving permission for people to edit your map I will go ahead and make a more worthy version, instead of just throwing something together like I did. I also think that you did a fine job of turning the map into an episode 1 map given the restraints of E4M4, there just really isn't much to the thing.

Saliva said:

Just make sure the appropriate compatibility flag is set (in the wad itself - don't rely on the player).

E1M4 Here's another version of E1M4 from me. Did everything that I said I would do in the previous post & a few other things.

E1M1 I also made an attempt at some changes to E1M1. Just trying to make it more like E3M1, by adding some things & removing others.

Updates to e1m6 & e1m9.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/de_e1m6_NovUpdate1.wad

notes:
-changed hidden imp window to a lower 8 above per comments above.
-revised the final exit area a bit.
-added some stairs to exit nukage in side area (next to chainsaw secret).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/de_e1m9_NovUpdate1.wad

notes:
-altered the bridge to exit
-altered the 3 key doors and secret (straightened them up)

Had a 4P co-op run of RC2-2 a few nights ago, and found some bugs and other undesirable stuff. Fixes and whatnot at the end of each; use them or don't use them, I don't care. I'm just saving you a few minutes of your time with these.

E4M4:
Sector 147's trigger can be activated too early, which (depending on port used and flags set) can result in the floor not being raised high enough to reach the switch, leaving the exit locked forever (along with the Soulsphere being inaccessible).

Fix: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ndpbrmq842kz8rt/swtch-44-fix.wad

E4M7:
Closing Sector 85 has potential to break the map; if a player goes beyond this point and gets killed by the Cyberdemon before re-opening the sector, then GG everyone.

Fix:http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ft1m7dsj9kjysg/swtch-47-fix.wad

E4M8:
Nobody liked the start of this one at all. Aside from not even having P2 - P4 starts, it just felt like what it is -- a total clusterfuck shoved into a cramped space surrounded by lava, in a fairly lazy attempt to make things difficult. If you absolutely must insist on using this mandatory damagesector bullshit, then fine, but at least have the decency to not be so ignorant of consecutive playing and/or multiplayer modes; put the playerstarts somewhere other than in a damagesector (health being taken on the first gametic, before the fucking screenmelt even starts), so we're not all forced to run around and get in the way of one-another.

Fix: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8q8y9ljnnz2e9z1/swtch-48-fix.wad

E4M9:
Linedefs 1194, 1195, 1196 and 1197 (the pillar by the blue door) are all "W1 Exit Level".

Fix: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uuza7dbz3sd9w5o/swtch-49-fix.wad

There was also feeling of general ammo shortages on many maps from about halfway through E2, but collectively we usually had enough to fight through most encounters without too much melee combat so I wouldn't worry about that.

Thanks for fixing my map, BaronofStuuf!

also, remaking from (almost) scratch e4m2 in e1m2, as suggested from jaws of space:

this way better? started to do it today...

walter: I think the problem was that your map didn't resemble E4M2 enough. And you've left there an entire part which particularly didn't, so I'm not sure...

By the way, if you're actually gonna remake the map, this time please stick to the E1-like stereotypical aesthetics and gameplay and don't propose quirks like jumping from a ledge onto a hard to notice key, details of devastated environment and such.

scifista42 said:

walter: I think the problem was that your map didn't resemble E4M2 enough. And you've left there an entire part which particularly didn't, so I'm not sure...

Walter did say that he just started & to me it looks like he left in the areas that did resemble E4M2 & in now going to work on making the middle section look like E4M2.

E1M3 now with no teleporting monsters.

E2M6 now with deathmatch starts.

E1M8 did some rearranging of the barrels so now they have a better chance of killing the demons & added the chainsaw.

Since it's Episode 4 try to find a suitingly foreboding quote from the bible if you can. :)

Also, I hate to say this but, has anyone tried working on a different approach for E3M8? The current map is probably the weakest revision of the original map, with only a homage or two to and a VERY basic gist of the originals layout. I think C3N09 was one of the many who thought that the map was supposed to be a fusion of the original and target map, but it just ends up being a mere shell of the original E4M8.

Death Egg said:

Also, I hate to say this but, has anyone tried working on a different approach for E3M8? The current map is probably the weakest revision of the original map, with only a homage or two to and a VERY basic gist of the originals layout. I think C3N09 was one of the many who thought that the map was supposed to be a fusion of the original and target map, but it just ends up being a mere shell of the original E4M8.

After Jaws in Space agreed that it should be redone, I started working on one. Wasn't going to post it until it was finished but, here's it so far since you asked. Still need to fix up the southern outside area (and add the "water" area with the ammo/powerups on columns), and add the last area with the Spider, but it's getting there.

BaronOfStuff said:

E4M4:
Sector 147's trigger can be activated too early, which (depending on port used and flags set) can result in the floor not being raised high enough to reach the switch, leaving the exit locked forever (along with the Soulsphere being inaccessible).

Fix: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ndpbrmq842kz8rt/swtch-44-fix.wad

Is a fix, but still does have a f*cking huge DWE at the end.

Okay guys it's been awhile since the last update, so I've looked to see what still needs to be done. Here are a list of maps that still don't have deathmatch or difficulty settings implemented.

E1M2 WIP
E1M5 No Deathmatch
E1M8 No Deathmatch
E2M2 No Deathmatch
E2M3 No Deathmatch, No Difficulty Settings
E2M4 No Deathmatch, No Difficulty Settings
E2M9 WIP
E3M2 No Deathmatch, No Difficulty Settings
E3M3 No Deathmatch
E3M5 No Deathmatch
E3M8 WIP
E4M2 No Difficulty Settings
E4M5 No Deathmatch, No Difficulty Settings
E4M8 No Difficulty Settings

Here is an update the the wad that contains my updates to E1M3, E1M8, & E2M6 & Memphis update to E4M8. I also went ahead and added multiplayer starts to E2M3, E3M2, & E3M3. If none of the above maps have updates by next weekend I will just go ahead & add deathmatch & difficulty settings myself.

@ Walter & Magnusblitz, how are the updated E1M2 & E3M8 coming along?

So are we hapy with Doomkid's e3->1m1 now? That level needs to be bedded down before I update e3->2m9.

Seeing that no one has complained about it, I would say that this will be the final version of the map. Also this is just my personal preference, but I think that E2M9 would be better if the entire level was using E2 textures, not just the areas that open up. Warrens is one of the less liked maps due to it's similarity to Hell Keep so I think it would be a good idea to do changes to the entire map.

E3M8 will be done today. Just need to add some more items/monsters and maybe fiddle with the lighting a bit more.

Will also do the DM starts and other various fixes for E2M4 and E3M2 this weekend.

Seeing that no one has complained about it, I would say that this will be the final version of the map. Also this is just my personal preference, but I think that E2M9 would be better if the entire level was using E2 textures, not just the areas that open up. Warrens is one of the less liked maps due to it's similarity to Hell Keep so I think it would be a good idea to do changes to the entire map.

I thought the whole point of Warrens was the "didn't I play this level before?" deja vu, though. (Admittedly, it should've been E2M1 instead of E1M1). So depends on whether we're trying to keep that "deja vu" or not.

Magnusblitz said:

I thought the whole point of Warrens was the "didn't I play this level before?" deja vu, though. (Admittedly, it should've been E2M1 instead of E1M1). So depends on whether we're trying to keep that "deja vu" or not.

It is supposed to be deja vu, but because the maps are in two different episodes they really should reflect the style of the episode that they are in. That's the whole point of the project, E2M9 shouldn't use the same textures as E1M1 would.