Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megamur

Doom 64 EX WADs (and reviews)

I wanted to stir up a bit more interest in and enthusiasm for Doom 64 EX, the one-and-only PC port of the overlooked N64 classic. So I downloaded an archive with a big bunch of EX maps, played every single one (that was playable), and wrote short reviews for them all. There's quite a few WADs in that archive, so hopefully these reviews will help you narrow down which ones you might want to try.

Any maps in the .7z archive that are not listed in my reviews are levels that merely demonstrate editing tricks, that I couldn't get to load, are outdated and have been replaced with superior versions, or are so incomplete that there's really nothing to see or do in them.

Four-Star Reviews

Three-Star Reviews

Two-Star Reviews

One-Star Reviews

Reviews for Incomplete/Broken WADs

If you'd like to discuss any Doom 64 EX WADs, including the ones I've mentioned below, go right ahead!

-Four Stars-

BleedingTerror by jdagenet - Hell-themed. Nice architecture, decent lighting, good challenge. There's some nonlinearity and it's pretty lengthy compared to many D64EX maps. Definitely a good play, though depending on the path you pick and enemies you engage, you might end up dangerously low on ammo at critical moments. Beware!

hell1 - Also known as Whispers of Fear. It's like the love child of Doom 64's In the Void and the Absolution TC's Forbidden Deeper. If you're a fan of the creepy, misty atmosphere of those maps, as well as Forbidden Deeper's frantic battles in mini-arenas, this level is a worthy successor to them.

MAP4F by Kore - Techbase with some Hell mixed in--a rare combination in Doom 64 maps. Architecture and lighting are great. Sprawling, lengthy and challenging (almost too challenging...), with all sorts of nasty ambushes and cramped battles. Highly recommended.

Permutations by sector666 - Also known as Permutations of Hell. Hell-themed map. Probably one of the best depictions of Hell I've seen so far in Doom 64. The atmosphere is top-notch, with an environment that feels utterly alien, twisted and hostile. Great pacing between fights really builds the tension, and incredible scripting both screws with your head and provides some very cool cutscenes. There's actual puzzles to solve, too (which is something prominent in Doom 64 but oddly lacking in most of its custom maps). Difficulty is generally low/moderate, but there are some spikes. Very highly recommended.

-Three Stars-

Formalhaut-b - An attractive-looking techbase with good lighting and some neat environmental effects with macros. Not super-hard, but keeps you on your toes and provides genuine tension. Definitely worth a try.

Further-Into-Madness2 - A three-map set (one techbase, two Hell maps), somewhat annoyingly replacing levels 8, 13 & 17 instead of being in a more logical order. Map13 is probably the highlight, with cool macro effects and some genuinely frantic battles resulting in a threatening atmosphere. Map08 has a healthy dose of combat and its own nasty surprises, as well as a neat little macro effect when you eventually shut off the security lockdown at the start. Unfortunately, there's multiple ways to break the map and make it unbeatable, so you might have to IDCLIP your way through. Map17 is yet another cyberdemon arena level, because apparently Doom 64 mappers can't get enough of those. Overall, a flawed but decent set of maps that are probably worth investing some time into.

Madhouse12 by sector666 - A sinister little Hell-themed swarm map that largely revolves around squaring off against waves of enemies in a square-shaped room that transforms over time. There is a brief detour into a side area that breaks up the repetition a bit, which is appreciated. A very professional-looking, albeit small, map with tense, challenging (although far from impossible) fights. Worth looking into if you like some twitch-action in your Doom 64.

MAP2F by Kore - Techbase map. Adequate architectural detailing and great lighting. Difficulty leans toward the higher end, as the biggest weapon I could find was a shotgun. You will have your back against the wall with how overwhelming some of these ambushes can be. Definitely worth trying.

space2 - Also known as Error. This, too, could have suffered the same "generic techbase" fate of space1 (mentioned below), and while it's still not much to look at (aside from a cool 3D bridge area late in), it makes up for it with a healthy challenge factor. Cramped battles, tricky monster placement and other surprises ratchet up the intensity, while limited supplies keep you from feeling too safe. It won't dazzle you, but it's got enough weight to it to make it worth a try.

THE-OBELISK-BETA3 by Kr00za - Sort of a tech/Hell dig site theme. A highly detailed, massive and challenging map, with some complex secrets. Ultimately, what brings it down is some serious balance issues, which leave no margin for error in regards to ammunition expenditure. By the time I'd reached the final battle, I literally had one shotgun shell and nothing else. There's also an obnoxious number of areas where you are overwhelmed and cannot (and aren't expected to) retaliate, and you just have to wade through the demonic spanking machine until you can push on to the next zone. (And heaven help you if you waste any ammo on trying to fight back.) It has all the makings of an epic adventure and is probably still worth trying, but don't be surprised if you never win.

-Two Stars-

64c30n9 by C30N9 - The first full-fledged custom map ever made for Doom 64 EX. Been a long time since I played it. I remember it was Hell-themed and had a few challenging skirmishes, but was relatively short and simple.

castle1 - Also known as Blind Killer. Hell-themed. Adequate visuals. A few cramped ambush fights can be tough, but relatively short, small in scale and simple overall.

exodus - A two-map techbase set. Decent visuals and the wide-open rooms and hallways are a distinct departure from typical Doom 64 fare. Fairly linear and feels a bit empty sometimes, though.

Footmap1 by footman - Hell-themed. Lighting is okay, though architecture is fairly plain. Plenty to fight, though rarely difficult, and at one point the map kind of lapses into an ugly remake of the original Doom 64's Spawned Fear. Not unbearable, but you're not missing much.

Footmap2 by footman - Two-map set, with a techbase level followed by a Hell level. A nice attempt at a slightly more realistic Doom 64 techbase. (The airlock/decon chamber at the start was a nice touch.) Running through all those repetitive, twisting air ducts gets really tedious, however, and the second map is basically another mostly-uninspired Dead Simple wannabe. Overall, still probably worth a play.

kaiser_242 by Kaiser- Techbase theme. Decent architecture, but lighting is kind of plain. Some well-scripted ambushes leading to a few tense, cramped battles, but difficulty is mostly moderate and ends with an easy anticlimax.

SENTINALS5 by Kr00za - Hell-themed. Yet another cyberdemon arena map, which are quickly becoming quite trite amongst Doom 64 levels. At least this one looks better than the rest. If you just can't get enough cyberdemon arena battles, then play this.

Testing_Labs - Techbase map. Coloration and architecture are adequate, with rooms that are a bit more spacious than usual for D64 tech maps. The big problem with the level is, while there's no shortage of action or tougher monsters (there's a fair share of cacodemons and barons to gun down), the battles are staged in such a fashion that you're virtually in no danger. Supplies are overabundant as well, and I spent most of the map with plenty of ammo and a comfortable 200/200 health/armor rating. Not an awful map by any means, but the action's just so bland.

TheHunted - Well, wouldn't you know it? It's another cyberdemon arena map! At least this one is more clever than most, acting as a bit of an "action puzzle": You have no weapons to defend yourself with at the start, and have to rely on infighting to get past the myriad nasties until you can procure more significant firepower. I'm not really a fan of these cyberdemon battle maps, but this is probably the best one I've played so far in D64EX.

-One Star-

Arthurkun2 by arthurdecastro - Basically `94 map garbage (in spirit, if not the actual year of release). Random textures, no lighting, meandering hallways that stretch on and on. Skip it.

E1M1_64 - The umpteen-billionth remake of Doom's E1M1, except now it's incredibly dark and somehow even less detailed than before. Only the curious need apply.

FirstFear by doomaniac - Techbase theme. Minimal detail. Very short and forgettable.

Keo64 by Keo - A two-map set (kind of), this WAD is noteworthy for featuring perhaps the first attempt at a really realistic techbase in Doom 64, with a shooting range, obstacle course, furniture and--wait for it--a restroom! It also features some new (albeit mostly lousy) textures. Gameplay is nearly nonexistent, however, with lots of empty rooms and incredibly easy encounters against tiny amounts of weak opposition. The lighting is pretty terrible, too, and the second "level" is basically just a room with "thank you for playing" on the walls. Interesting concept with a lousy execution.

last - Also known as Finite. A Hell-themed arena map, noteworthy for how it uses the Doom 64 ending theme as its music, and also how the final battle ends.... I mean that literally: The final battle starts, and while you're in the middle of fighting it, the level ends automatically. It's very weird. Not worth bothering with.

Nightmare - Techbase level. Pretty much just a collection of small, simple rooms. Not very attractive aside from a few smatterings of semi-decent light gradients. Very straightforward, short and easy. You can skip this one.

ORANGEAMBIENT by Thel - Some of the color choices for the lighting are near nausea-inducing. Cyan ceilings with bright-red walls and floors? Ugh! And true to the filename, there's a Tang-orange sky later on. Still, the level is fairly unique amongst Doom 64 WADs for its techbase/canyon theme, and for forcing the player to enable jumping. Overall though, it's more of a curiosity than anything, as there's almost no challenge whatsoever.

space1 - Also known as Heat Center. A fairly generic, simple-to-beat techbase map, neither horrible enough to generate disgust nor interesting enough to leave any lasting impression. Difficulty is fairly low, although a lack of any armor in the map can leave you badly bruised if you make mistakes. Fine to play if you're bored, but there are far better options.

Terror - Hell-themed amateur attempt. The opening area is so deeply saturated with red that it makes it look like some lost Virtual Boy port of Doom 64. The less crimson-tinged tunnels fare little better, being boxy, angular Wolfenstein 3D throwbacks with no detail. Challenge is low, aside from a lack of armor and not an abundance of health. Skip it.

-Incomplete/Broken WADs-

They may not work correctly, but some of these maps are still cool to look at. (And some are both broken and they suck.)

Challenge - Multiple themes. Virtually no visual detail. Two maps of tiny arena battles where killing all the monsters unleashes more of them. The third map is unfinished, basically empty and can't be completed. Probably worth skipping entirely.

FortPain - Also known as Fortress of Pain. Theme is unknown as all the textures are broken, covering everything with I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS decals. Seemingly a few REJECT errors keep enemies from seeing you properly as well. After a while, I couldn't find my way around anymore and had to quit. The second level doesn't seem to load at all.

map0001 - A single techbase-themed map. It's a shame that this level is apparently unfinished. Furthermore, to even play this map, you have to open up the map in an editor and delete the thing 227 player 1 start, or else you'll spawn in an otherwise-inaccessible area of the map. While the architecture occasionally is overly cramped and feels cobbled together, the lighting is really good. The difficulty is tempered by generous health pick-ups, but ammo is somewhat tight, and there's a lot of high-powered enemies and intense violence waiting for you. Worth playing even though it's unbeatable.

SPIRAL2d by Kr00za - Hell-themed. The architecture is gorgeous and utterly massive in scale...but, argh! It's empty! Not a monster in sight. Worth looking at just to ogle how grand in scope this thing is, but sadly, there's nothing to do.

TeleportStation by Skadoomer - A semi-functional techbase map. If you use a cheat to give yourself keys and then go through the red doors, there are a few enemies to fight, but otherwise, there's nothing to see (except for a few buggy marines who spring to life and open fire on you if you make a sound). Clicking on the line 1545 switch (the switch near the keycards hovering in mid-air) makes the game instantly crash. There's some cool architecture and some well-executed ambushes. If someone (with more knowledge of D64EX editing than myself) bugfixed it, it could potentially be pretty fun.

TheGrid_AlphaTest by jdagenet - An unfinished techbase map. The blue-gray ambient lighting that permeates the map is neat, but it's a pretty straightforward affair, coming to a dead-end right as the action is just beginning to heat up. You can probably skip this.

THIELMAP01 by Thel - While oddly named "Quake II" on the automap, the visual style of the level seems more in line with Doom II/No Rest for the Living, being a techbase largely constructed out of large bricks and stone, with a small outdoor section. While the visuals are pleasant, the combat is weak, and the level is unfinished, resulting in a dead-end climax not long after you start.

Aw damn, somebody has already beaten me to a Doom 64 EX version of E1M1, I tried to recreate it last year. :P

Fortress of Pain is a strange case. The author uploaded one version which actually had the textures working fine and everything, but the player start was placed right at the final battle area. After pointing this out to the guy, he replaced the download link and I foolishly deleted the old version. Now we're left with one that I assume we do start in the right spot, but clearly everything's fucked up. I haven't heard back from him.

Last I checked, Teleport Station should work, unless it only worked on older versions of EX. Same goes for map0001; perhaps I'm not remembering it properly, but I don't recall the map start problem.

The real first custom map might be something else. I think Kaiser's Ground Zero (Kaiser_242, same as Kaiser_24) or C30N9's Toxin 64 is true first. Ground Zero came with an early version of EX and Toxin 64 was from March 2011 (not compatible with current versions). I don't think I have Toxin 64, but I'll check later.

Avoozl said:

Aw damn, somebody has already beaten me to a Doom 64 EX version of E1M1, I tried to recreate it last year. :P

Well, the version I reviewed was pretty terrible. You could probably do much better. And if nothing else, there's always Doom II MAP01.

Teleport Station is probably just incompatible with KEX Engine 2.3. Map0001 seems legitimately unfinished, however, or at least the version I played was.

I do recall that one of the maps only work if run by testing the map in Doom Builder 64. Map0001 might be the one; I can't access my PC with EX for some time, so is it the one with a bunch of Mother Demons?

I think the 64C30N9 test map does not work properly on latest EX. I tried it yesterday and got stuck in the blue key ambush room (teleporter doesn't work).

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Toxin 64? Made before public release of Doom Builder 64.

64C30N9 was actually built broken. The designer outright said he couldn't get the blue key teleporter to work, and that players will just have to noclip out. I'm not sure if he ever posted a fix or not.

And I've been busy elsewhere and haven't played Toxin 64 just yet.

I've played BleedingTerror, it is pretty good and I recommend it to any doom 64 fan. The others I'll have to look up. But I am always happy to find new Doom 64 EX wads so thank you for your reviews.

buttspit said:

I could get a link ready for everything described here and a pile more.

honestly you should put them please! and ive played bleeding terror thats a awesome map.

Thought I already posted the link. Well, here it is.

http://www.filedropper.com/d64exmaps

There's just so much shit in the 7zip archive as I didn't comb through to filter out deathmatch maps, example and tutorial wads, etc. Plus it contains various dev stages/versions of many of the custom maps. These don't have any distribution restrictions on them and they were for the most part released the way they are in the archive, etc. And it doesn't even have absolutely all the wads I have, although most of what's missing is just deathmatch maps.

buttspit said:

There's just so much shit in the 7zip archive as I didn't comb through to filter out deathmatch maps, example and tutorial wads, etc. Plus it contains various dev stages/versions of many of the custom maps. These don't have any distribution restrictions on them and they were for the most part released the way they are in the archive, etc. And it doesn't even have absolutely all the wads I have, although most of what's missing is just deathmatch maps.

thank you so much gonna be a fun night lol

buttspit said:

can you upload them to mediafire or dropbox? i can't download the file (404 error).

Thanks for the reviews!

I want to play some of these levels, but I get an error:

********* ERROR *********
W_Init: IWAD not found

Tetzlaff said:

Thanks for the reviews!

I want to play some of these levels, but I get an error:

********* ERROR *********
W_Init: IWAD not found

Probably because you didn't run Wadgen on your Doom 64 ROM file to extract the IWAD and soundfont.

I created a doom64.wad with the wadgen tool and I can run the normal game just fine. There is also a DOOMSND.SF2 file in my folder, so this should be all okay.