Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I first played ADoom on the Amiga in '97. The shareware episode and engine was given away on a CU Amiga cover CD on the next issue after the code was open sourced. Up until then I had only played other Amiga FPS games. Alien Breed 3D being the best at that point though Genetic Species deserves a mention (God, I wish someone would port these over to the PC - the code's released for both of them, hint hint!).

I actually thought that it ported over pretty well and was pleasantly surprised as at the time there was all that crap that the Amiga couldn't possibly run Doom. AB3D was still my favourite (and I still love it) but Doom had all the extra WADs and the tweakability. After a while I was hooked and when I finally succumbed and got a PC in 2000 (P200 with 32MB TNT and Sound Blaster) the first thing I did was download Doom Legacy and I've played Doom ever since. :)

I got the GameBoy Advanced version of Doom II about three years ago from Goodwill. Entryway's music was the most awesome thing. :D But the way I needed to hold the game to play it made my fingers fall asleep, so I got the PC version about six months later.

Then I got zDoom and Doom Builder, and things got infinitely more awesome.

Ha, playing E2M5 has brought back some memories...Ever since I started playing DOOM, I reach the secret exit in no time but I haven't been able to figure out where the normal exit is.

I don't exactly remember when I first started playing Doom, but I do know we had it early on, probably sometime in '94 or '95. My dad had floppy disk versions of it, which I'm sure was the original DOS version. Sometime after Doom II came out we got Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and the Master Levels of Doom II for Windows 95. I played here and there for the next 12 or 13 years until I got the collector's edition and since then I've played it pretty regularly for the last few years.

Lmfao, I'm glad I wasn't the only kid who had nightmares after playing this damn game haha.

Nightmares? Haha, I was afraid to look behind me on the stairway if there were no lights on and of the dark unlit hallway to my room because I thought an Imp would be there.
Good times.

First time I played doom was in 1997 I think, well I was 3-4 years old and somehow I played doom 2 however I couldn't reach to the red key in level 2 cuz I didn't know that in order to run you use shift :D
I remember that I loved the cacodemons when I played in the first time.

It was about 7 years ago. I was 11 and settled temporarily at the apartman of my elder sister (22 yrs) and her boyfriend (23 yrs). Actually, the guy had some games on his PC and showed me some. One of them was DooM. But, thanks god my stuuupid sister, who can't stand gory games! She became very upset because of me playing the game and made me quit. I had to play Charlie (a Super Mario clone, but featuring a duck) instead! :S
However, a year later, I had remet DooM, as one of my stepfather's old games! I was just... happy. Then, it had become an important part of my life!

I was about 7-8 years old (born in '86) and my dad took me out to the city to shop for a new computer since we had this old CGA piece that was probably outdated before I was born lol. Inside the computer store they had a 486DX set up with Doom on it and I was completely fidgeting around wanting to play it and looked at my dad, then looked at the store clerk and he said "Go ahead! That's why it's there!" so I SR50'd over to the computer and played E1M1.

It took me about 2 minutes to get to the poison room and I thought the imp throwing fireballs at me was a boss heheh. Then I got pulled away for some reason and the rest is a bit of a blur. But a week later we had a 486 with Doom and I was a damn happy camper. I also remember my brother telling me the cheat codes, no idea where he got them, but I remember idspispopd to this day.

Oh also first post. Hi!

When i was 4, i didn't know how to play it, i just watch my brother playing, once i tried, i got chainsaw from doom2 map01, i was afraid to face zombies so i stand on my place for hours.

The most frightened was getting ready for the cyberdemon and spider master mind in map20, my heart was going fast, when they saw me i scream loudly, resulting splattered by cyberdemon

C30N9 said:

When i was 4, i didn't know how to play it, i just watch my brother playing, once i tried, i got chainsaw from doom2 map01, i was afraid to face zombies so i stand on my place for hours.

The most frightened was getting ready for the cyberdemon and spider master mind in map20, my heart was going fast, when they saw me i scream loudly, resulting splattered by cyberdemon

and I who was afraid of those Barons in the DOOM1.WAD :(
there was nightmares

I was one of the suckers that got a 32x back in the day, and that was my first encounter with Doom, six months before the system got canned and just over a year before mine broke (heh).

Then I got a Playstation and made a point of Doom being the first game I got for it. Haven't looked back since.

scalliano said:

Then I got a Playstation and made a point of Doom being the first game I got for it. Haven't looked back since.

PSX version is the best ;)

Also, when i was small, my monster names were:
Zombieman: Pistol Guy
Shotgun Guy: The Same
Chaingun Guy: Also the same
IMP: A non-sense word i forgot :P
Demon: Biter
Cacodemon: Balloon :P
Hell Knight: White Horse
Baron of Hell: Red Horse
Lost Soul: Flaming Head
Pain Elemental: Monster Reborn
Revenant: Skeleton
Arch-Vile: Fire Skeleton
Arachnotron: Spider
Spider-Master Mind: Giant Spider
Cyber-Demon: Big Horse (Giant version of Hell and Baron)

C30N9 said:

That is kind of neat. I remember nicknaming only three of the monsters.

Mine were:

Cacodemon was Cocoademon
Arachnotron was The Spider
Spectre was The Invisible Demon

The part in E1M8, once I finally defeated the two Hell Barons and the walls that confined the arena crumble down revealing the outer landscape of Phobos, you press the switch that rises the stairs up to the final gateway you pass through, and your plunged into a pitch black room full of your monsters and your god mode turns off!

Honestly that was one of the most remarkable moments in any video game I've ever played. No other game has ever made you feel like you were winning the game only to throw such a curveball of a defeat at you while USING CHEAT CODES. That was by far one of the most memorable experiences I have playing Doom the first time.

40oz said:

The part in E1M8, once I finally defeated the two Hell Barons and the walls that confined the arena crumble down revealing the outer landscape of Phobos, you press the switch that rises the stairs up to the final gateway you pass through, and your plunged into a pitch black room full of your monsters and your god mode turns off!

Honestly that was one of the most remarkable moments in any video game I've ever played. No other game has ever made you feel like you were winning the game only to throw such a curveball of a defeat at you while USING CHEAT CODES. That was by far one of the most memorable experiences I have playing Doom the first time.

Oh man I remember the first time I went through on Ultra Violence with God mode. Just as you think you are about to win; it just steals the moment away.

I remember always wondering as a child if there was an exit room or switch that was secretly placed there. I hated dying in that room... but the death was worth it. I absolutely love The Shores of Hell.

I first heard about Doom in middle school as it was just coming out ... it was described as "Wolfenstein 3d with a shotgun and a rocket launcher."

I was a very avid Wolf3d fanatic, and I was initially disappointed with Doom because it: was dark and gloomy; the hero moves in an ackwardly cumbersome manner (inertia); the maps have pitfalls and hazards (I was not accustomed to traps); and you actually need weapons like shotguns and rocket launchers to ... you know ... not die.

The game has grown on me quite a bit since then. I was stunned when I learned about the source ports and crazy stuff modders are doing with it today. Simply unprecedented.

C30N9 said:

Icon of Sin: GOAT

LOL!!!
It's more similar to a skull of a cow :D
Reminds me playing through E2M2 and being in the sewer-like tunnels, where I've picked up the "Pajamas", aka Radsuit. I was quite concerned about that I see green everything because of spending too much time in the nukage! :D

I was 9, and I could play it 2 years. Then my computer has been crashed, and it was needed to format...

Previously I've never played any computer games (only something ski game, which had vectorgraphic...ehh :D), so I had miscellaneous feelings. Firstly, I could move, but I couldn't shoot :D I was needed some minutes until I found Ctrl :D also, I couldn't open doors, but I've never found Space, so I always use IDSPISPOPD (noclip cheat in Doom1) for travelling trough the doors. I was VERY, VERY LAME :Đ

I saw only some levels; only E1M1, E1M8, E2M1, E2M2, E3M1, E3M2 and E3M6; also I remember a bit about E1M2, E1M3, E1M8, E2M3 and E2M5

I've never seen many things: the E2 sky, the E2 and E3 bosses, the intermission screen (I supposed to remember, althoug I don't remember :D) and the most parts of the game.

I scared many things: Doomguy's bleeding face, suddenly shooting enemies, etc.

Also, I gave funny names for monsters:

C30N9 said:

Well, about me

Zombieman: Soldier (WTF?)
Shotgun Guy: the same
IMP: Fireball-thrower monster :P
Demon: Quasimodo-monster
Cacodemon: nothing :P
Baron of Hell: Minotaur
Lost Soul: just skulls
Chaingun Guy,Hell Knight and from Pain Elemental to the Cyberdemon I no one saw until I played with Final Doom when I was 12)

I start doom when I was 4, at that time I am only a noob and quite afraid of playing hard stages. I still remember the first time I see the Cyberdemon in E2M8, I was very scared of him so I won't play E2M8 anymore at that time.

Until when I was 15, I decided to go to E2M8 again and deal with the Cyberdemon.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

at that time I am only a noob and quite afraid of playing hard stages.

I was terrified to play any hard levels for doom II, for example if i saw a load game that contains map20 i was changing it fast or map10, oh boy that cyberdemon scared me.

I think I found the shareware by accident while browsing around shareware-sites somwhere in the beginning of the new milenium. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Doom was THE VERY FIRST game I have ever played on the PC. I got it from one of those game magazines that used to come with a CD-ROM (wow!) full of shareware games. My computer at the time was a 486 with 8 MB RAM, DOS and Windows 3.11 on top of it, and oh boy just to get the game running was an adventure.

cbronson said:

Doom was THE VERY FIRST game I have ever played on the PC. I got it from one of those game magazines that used to come with a CD-ROM (wow!) full of shareware games. My computer at the time was a 486 with 8 MB RAM, DOS and Windows 3.11 on top of it, and oh boy just to get the game running was an adventure.

Sounds like quite the experience.

I discovered the Doom shareware on a Games For Windows 95 disc which had all kinds of games, but the best one on there was Doom obviously.

Before Doom however, my first id Tech 1 game and introduction to the world of FPS was Hexen.

I must of been age 9 or something when playing both of these.

Later on I'd discover Heretic (which I'd mix up with Hexen as I sampled some of it at a friend's house along with Hexen which I got to keep), Wolfenstein 3D, Quake 1 & 2 (I was introduced to Quake II first as the demo), Hexen II, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Blood II, Shogo, Half-Life, Unreal and so on. Virtually all of these games I've played a shareware/demo of before owning it.

Bishop said:

September 95 (9 yrs old)
1st game on PC ever

LOL!! I was 9 years old too and also it were my first occassion happened in 2003.