Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Worst textures in Doom/Doom 2?

I kind of like the contrast that the lack of flat variety creates. I'm glad there aren't many flats that directly correspond to a texture, because that almost never looks good. At the same time, it results in oddities like the E1 maps having obviously marble ceilings in places, that would probably look better with a more thematically fitting green flat.

I can't really call it the worst texture, but I always find FLAT4 to be a disappointment somehow. It looks like it's supposed to be a floor grate, but at the same time, it doesn't look anything like a floor grate, heh. It looks horrific when plastered over large areas and it seems to lack contrast when used alongside other textures.

METAL1 (The hexagon based metal wall) annoys me. Every time I try to use it it never aligns completely right. The flat variant is fine though.

I often feel sorry for BROWNWEL. Doom exclusive, and a swear its used only in a single level, and I've never seen it outside the Iwad.

Lately I've been annoyed by BIGDOOR5. The wood divisions don't line up at all with the metal support columns, making it look like a few patches slapped on top of some others, which it is. WOODGARG uses the same wood texture and has similar problems but I don't notice it as much.

GoatLord said:

Probably because it looks more like the cosmic background radiation than anything you would find on an actual wall.

What if it was a poster of cosmic background radiation on a wall?

As for worst texture in Doom/Doom II? I've got to go with the over sized human skulls.