Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Dornan_51

DOOM 3 and Half-Life 1...

I see your connection, in both an experiment goes horribly wrong. That is kind of interesting.

Sergeant_Dornan_51 said:

Is it me, or is the plot of DOOM 3 and Half-Life 1 awfully similar...

Is it me or is the plot of Half Life 1 awfully similar to DOOM?

They used the quake engine for Half-Life.
aaannd....

According to one of the game's designers, Harry Teasley, Doom was a huge influence on most of the team working on Half-Life. According to Teasley, they wanted Half-Life to "scare you like Doom did". Newell felt that "Half-Life in many ways was a reactionary response to the trivialization of the experience of the first person genre."

Yah, but Half-Life seemed to have more jump scares than a tense buildup like some Doom levels. And the only enemies that were really challenging were, really odd actually, the Human soldiers. Half-Life had some nice scripted moments however.

Crasger said:

According to one of the game's designers, Harry Teasley, Doom was a huge influence on most of the team working on Half-Life. According to Teasley, they wanted Half-Life to "scare you like Doom did". Newell felt that "Half-Life in many ways was a reactionary response to the trivialization of the experience of the first person genre."

Hmm, that's pretty cool. I gues I'm not too surpised with DOOM being an influence on an FPS game.

Now that you mention it, I do see the similarities.

Sergeant_Dornan_51 said:

Is it me, or is the plot of DOOM 3 and Half-Life 1 awfully similar...

Scientists play with Forces Mankind Was Not Meant To Have, unleash disaster: invasion and destruction of the Earth and civilization by [demons/undead/robots/aliens/nanite swarms/hungry slimes/mutated beasts/incurable disease strains/toxic substance].

This plot is used by 7 845 934 757 946 546 different works of fictions. Add an average of 17 every millisecond to the running total.

I'm pretty sure in terms of story (such as it is), Doom was inspired by Aliens, and Half-Life was inspired by a Stephen King short story called The Mist.

I remember someone saying Doom was originaly going to features aliens instead of demons and was to be based on Mars rather than Hell.