Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

Katamori said:

LOL!! I was 9 years old too and also it were my first occassion happened in 2003.

So you were born less than a year after Doom was?

My first was SNES Doom in 1996. That was right before the N64 came out, and I eventually got Doom 64. And I've been hooked ever since.

40oz said:

The part in E1M8, once I finally defeated the two Hell Barons and the walls that confined the arena crumble down revealing the outer landscape of Phobos, you press the switch that rises the stairs up to the final gateway you pass through, and your plunged into a pitch black room full of your monsters and your god mode turns off!

Honestly that was one of the most remarkable moments in any video game I've ever played. No other game has ever made you feel like you were winning the game only to throw such a curveball of a defeat at you while USING CHEAT CODES. That was by far one of the most memorable experiences I have playing Doom the first time.

This, first time seeing the Barons was already authentic and memorable, but knowing you get screwed in the end by the demons made me think the name Doom was literal.

I actually started with Wolf3d which I loved. I was pretty young at the time and the dogs scared the crap out of me.

I didn't discover Doom until Doom95, when a friend introduced it to me. I played the shareware to death for a few years but it was soon forgotten. I rediscovered Doom a few years ago and got Doom, Doom 2, and the Master Levels. I still play it like crazy.

(First post I'm making after lurking here for over a year, so yay for me!)

I don't exactly remember what it was like when I first played Doom when I was a kid, but I know I always had a blast whenever I played it. My older brother had the full registered version, along with Doom II and Quake, and I remember how he'd have his friends over playing it with him. Although there was a long time where I avoided the game because the pinky demon started giving me nightmares. :P

It wasn't until a few years ago that I came across the old Doom diskettes I had laying around and decided to give it another go. And wow, I totally forgot how awesome, nostalgic, and innovative this game was! Then I started playing Doom II again, which was also an awesome experience. I tried out Quake too, and while it's also a pretty cool game, I just feel a lot more "at home" with Doom and it's atmosphere. Then started checking out Pwads, and the rest is history...

Now I'm currently playing the Final Doom games, which I never got to play before. This game truly is a timeless classic! =)

I played Doom 95 with Doom 2 around 95 or so. I played it alot and my dad played it also so I got it from him I guess. Then around 2000-2004 I played alot of times with a friend over a modem with Doom 95 doing Coop, we beat all the levels together heh.

GhostlyDeath said:

I played Doom 95 with Doom 2 around 95 or so. I played it alot and my dad played it also so I got it from him I guess. Then around 2000-2004 I played alot of times with a friend over a modem with Doom 95 doing Coop, we beat all the levels together heh.

modem, wow :D

there wasnt any ZDaemon or SkullTag back then?

D_GARG said:

modem, wow :D

there wasnt any ZDaemon or SkullTag back then?

Final Doom (Doom 95) came with it's own launcher back then. I think the Doom 95 launcher probably set the standards for the current Doom engines seeing as a lot of the features that were offered in the Doom 95 launcher are featured in most modern Doom engines such as ZDaemon and SkullTag.

I first played it in 1993 at age thirteen. I had no idea that Doom was even being made at the time. I was a player of many shareware games, and I recognized id's name as being a developer for Apogee. So I knew basic stuff about the shareware world, namely: Apogee and id = good! Also being a follow up in evolution to Wolf3D made it seem logical. BUT *nothing* could have prepared me for what I first experienced with Doom. Actually, Doom was the game that made me into a PC Game fanatic to begin with. I never went to mall to buy PC mags until I noticed one with an article that previewed Doom 2. And then I later noticed the PC Gamer that named Doom as the greatest PC Game of all time, it being a whole year old or so. My fanaticism peaked sometime until the release of Quake, which wasn't any where near my expectations. I doubt a FPS with Doom's impact will ever be released again. Not Half-Life, Halo, or anything.

C30N9 said:

I was terrified to play any hard levels for doom II, for example if i saw a load game that contains map20 i was changing it fast or map10, oh boy that cyberdemon scared me.

Same as me, I am afraid of that map too.

But anyway, dealing with that Cyberdemon is not hard. Just make him infight with the Spider Mastermind is OK. it's lucky that the Cyberdemon dead first.

First DOOM ever was DOOM 64....

After a while my parents found out i had it and promptly removed it from my n64....

Its weird they thought that it was over the top violent when i just went back to playing what i was playing before doom....which was turok and other violent games at the time. lol

It was 1995 or 96 the first time i played doom using my cousin's computer.
I started with e1m1 and finished in e1m4, i died (without saving) in the little labyrinth in the west side. I did the error to shoot a demon with a rocket launcher.
I was playing it with two other cousins: i did movements, one cousin was shooting and the other was changing weapons.
We were not very coordinates ;-)

Then we loaded a saved game and started playing e2m7. We were killed by a cacodemons.
The first time i saw a caco i didn't realised it was a ball, i thought it was a worm-like creature.
And "caco" is similar to the Italian "cacca" which means poo... so for use the cacodemon was the poo-demon. Very funny.

I was in grade 6 ('94) and one of the students asked the other if they'd played doom yet... I didn't even have a computer until '98. My neighbour got it on the SNES and I'd borrow it every day for months... afterwards went out and bought a PC for doom but was sold a 386 sx, returned it for a DX, ended up fitting a total of 16mb ram in it. Started playing pwads when I got a cyrix 133 with a cd-rom which meant lots and lots of shovelware... in 98/99 I downloaded all the levels from walnut creek on 28.8k dialup. Have played it on and off since then, and got really excited about it again after seeing 3d models in jdoom and all the possibilities with zdoom.

My brother owned the 32X cart.

Eventually we got the complete collection featuring the doom 98 port.

I was reading an article about the columbine massacre. Because I was younger and more naive I simply couldn't understand a game could lead someone to doing something like that. I had never played DOOM before so I decided to give it a try for the first time from the doom 95 shareware version. I began to love doom quickly after that.

I heard about it when my older brother told me about the shareware. At the time, I was in 5th grade and AOL was just getting into the mainstream. My friend had a 14.4 kbit connection and an AOL account. It took us an eternity to download the Doom shareware for ourselves. All in, it took up a whopping three 3.5" floppy disks, which was a pretty big deal at the time.

But it was worth it. And it was awesome. There's just a certain mystique a child's memory paints over a game like that.

Damn, I'm old.

I don't really remember it, but when I was 3 years old, I used to sit on my father's knees while he was playing Doom, which is how I got into it.

Few years later, which I already remember, we've been frequently playing together coop on Doom2's stock maps. We couldn't save, so we always only went through the first 6, 7 or 8 maps at one go. Still it doesn't mean I knew the maps well, in fact there are areas in MAP05 and others which were unknown to me until many years later. We rather had quite a standardized path and way to play, even divided roles of who of us two clears which room, heh.

Of course I played single too. I remember spending hours in MAP30 with cheats on and teasing all the chaos there. All this in my quite an early childhood.

Doom 2 (v1.666) was actually my only Doom-related experience for a whole lot of time. I only discovered sourceports, PWADs and the community several years ago, I confess.

Some time in early/mid 1994, going to a friend's place after school and playing the Shareware episode ("Come to my house after school because my dad's got this really cool game called Doom and you HAVE to see it!"). Being a pair of dumb kids at the time with no real FPS experience (I'd played Wolfenstein 3D a few times but that hardly helped), we tried playing on Nightmare! and got absolutely destroyed by Shotgun Guys and respawning enemies before trying again on UV, only to get horribly murdered again. We settled on HMP, and it took us around two hours just to get to E1M5.

Yes, we were utter shit at the game.

The earliest thing I remember of Doom is watching my dad play it when we lived on base here in 1994. I only remember seeing the game a few times, but I do remember seeing the ending and being really freaked out by Daisy's head on a stick. That's one I'll remember forever.

1995, freshman year in HS, my friend Josh is raving about this game "Doom" and finds out I have a computer so he walks all the way across town to install it on my PC.

I discovered it almost when it came out, late '93 or early '94. It was at a friend's house, 'cause I didn't have a computer. We used to play for hours, not only Doom, but also Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat, Commander Keen, Mario Bros., etc. He had tons of games, and even playing several times a week for like half a year, maybe a little more, I'm sure I didn't even played half of them. I don't remember a lot of details though, I was only 10 at the time, but I do remember it was a lot of fun. A lot. I miss the 90's.

Back when my main gaming experiences were the shareware version of Monster Bash and the demo of C&C Red Alert an incomplete set of Doom II floppies were gathering dust in my house (they belonged to my brother - I've no idea what happened to the missing one). It sounded good to me, but it was a few years and many other games later when I finally briefly played the game at a friend's house - it was OK, but I got caught up in the likes of Half-Life and didn't really look back.

Realising that Doom and Doom II were huge gaps in my gaming knowledge I finally bought them as part of the 2003 re-release of the Collector's Edition. Again, Half-Life 2 dimmed my interest when it was released in 2004. I also only played Doom 3 for the first time this year - it's amazing how late to the party I generally am, on thinking about it!

I can't quite tell but I think I remembered seeing my cousin in two eperate occasions playing Final Doom Plutonia in the Aztec map and Doom 64 in the Watch Your Step map which was at first being in the room with the BFG9000 past the entrance.

My mum at one point cleaned her rich friend's house as a part time job. I got to use thier computer sometimes, as it tons of classic games on it, and one time Doom 2 was being played on it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but never got to really play it till the Playstation port.

"a Cybermonster shooting a punk guy in green armor? Hell yeah this is the thing, the first doom should be good too, I should play that first"

the first time i ever could see doom, was through a door that was not as closed as the players thought it was.

i was maybe 5 or 6 when i could see it through that door, when family members where trying to hide the game from the young ones.

in the 90's doom was an extreme game, and in the 90's frame of mind it was asolutely not suited for kids. now it is almost a non violent game compared to modern things that are actually made for kids.

Back during the war (1997), mum has not long been with my step dad, he had his own flat that we would visit and everytime we went round, he would be playing Doom (PSX) on his small, black box TV. He allowed me too have a go not long after my 4th birthday and I was hooked on it. Even when we moved house in 2001 (I lost Final Doom PSX around this time sadly) I would still play it even when we got the PS2. I completed it god knows how many times before I even found Club Doom, Marshes, mansion and the other one. I acquired the PC one around 2003/4 and I remember thinking that it was a downgraded version due to the sounds.