Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Veinen

Unholy Realms demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA page aka urdpfix // ur

Do not run the idgames version of this for DSDA submission, it is out of date. The version hosted on DSDA is the most up-to-date.

Also the wad might warrant its own thread since it's very speedrun-friendly and likely to garner some attention, but I don't know if I'm one to make that call.

Anyway, here's a bunch of stuff I did yesterday. Most of them were pretty quick and easy. The zipfile includes:

Map11 Pacifist in 0:34
Map12 NM-Speed in 0:03
Map17 UV-Speed in 0:31
Map23 NM-Speed in 0:03
Map24 Pacifist in 0:29
Map26 Pacifist in 0:18
Map29 Pacifist in 0:06

Spoiler

So Snakes released the final version of Unholy Realms the other day and I figured I might as well start recording for it. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit here since it's not on /idgames yet due to the server problems, but it is the final version after all. Get the wad here.

Updated with the idgames link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/megawads/ur.zip

7urdemos.zip

Edited by Maribo

Map 13 UV Speed in 0:33. Time's beatable but I think it might be relatively difficult to do. I think I thing ran at the start? Oh, sometimes I got the wall run on the stairs, sometimes not (yes, I can wall run but this one seemed trickier). I had a run that looked like it could have ended up in 0:31 but the chain gunner interrupted the arch vile and I ended up with some time of 0:43.

ur13-033.zip

map01 pacifist in 0:09

I won't be spoiling any more speedruns, but I couldn't resist a slick map01 ballet. One day I'll catch all the map01s out there. :p

ur01p009.zip

An improvement on my map 25 demo (in 0:31) my patience has run thin for now. Credits to cannonball for his NM speed run. GrumpyCat: I did not think of that, heh, great run. I didn't think something like that was possible through a wall (not counting the switch trick that requires a glide).

ur25-031.zip

Springy said:

GrumpyCat: I did not think of that, heh, great run. I didn't think something like that was possible through a wall (not counting the switch trick that requires a glide).

Well, there's Doom E3M6 off the top of my head, where you can hit the secret exit switch from outside the blue enclosure. Iif I thought about it some more, I'd probably think of more examples.

4shockblast said:

Well, there's Doom E3M6 off the top of my head, where you can hit the secret exit switch from outside the blue enclosure. Iif I thought about it some more, I'd probably think of more examples.

That's what I was referring to (without the example though). What I meant was I haven't seen it from the side, I have only seen it happen when the switch is located in the wall part and the player faces the wall (if that makes sense, E3M6 being a prime example as you have stated). So, is this a glide? Considering the E3M6 example uses one (I think Grazza or Dew explained that it was a glide used when I asked). I attempted this a few times just now and only managed to get 0:07 myself if so, I have actually managed a glide.

Springy said:

That's what I was referring to (without the example though). What I meant was I haven't seen it from the side, I have only seen it happen when the switch is located in the wall part and the player faces the wall (if that makes sense, E3M6 being a prime example as you have stated). So, is this a glide? Considering the E3M6 example uses one (I think Grazza or Dew explained that it was a glide used when I asked). I attempted this a few times just now and only managed to get 0:07 myself if so, I have actually managed a glide.

I don't think it's a glide. It seems to work because the switch linedef is within reach of the player and because there is some empty space between the switch and the player (the empty space is above the outside wall and below the sky). I made a test wad, and, as far as I can tell, I can't hit a switch from outside a wall if the wall does not go from the ceiling to the floor (for instance the floor could be 127 units high with a 128 unit high ceiling, but not 128 units high). In that case, I assume because of the fact that Doom does not consider your z-coordinate when hitting a switch, you are able to activate the switch. The glide you are talking about might be from when Grazza or dew was explaining the E2M6 switch activation from outside the void. There, if I remember correctly, it works because your coordinate coincides with the coordinate of the wall in the instance of the switch activation, so it can be viewed as a glide into the wall.

Cool demo, Veinen! I like the planning to use the BFG efficiently.

Map20 UV-Max in 5:05

There's also roughly a minute long bonus demo with some unexpected life after death action. I have no idea what happened, voodoo doll shenanigans I'm guessing? Or maybe magic, I dunno.

ur20-505.zip

Veinen said:

There's also roughly a minute long bonus demo with some unexpected life after death action. I have no idea what happened, voodoo doll shenanigans I'm guessing? Or maybe magic, I dunno.

Effect is also doable in Kama Sutra map 22 (there's a demo on the DSDA demonstrating it). Seems to happen when a voodoo doll takes damage at the same time or around the same time the player does. The effect appears to be useless, though, since you can still take damage and still can't walk through walls, but you have no weapons.

The zombie effect certainly can be useful. Here is an example, for instance. There are further possible uses in multi-level demos, as shown here.

Yeah, another example is my old wint.wad stroller. Becoming a zombie allowed me to easily walk through rooms full of monsters.

By the way, Veinen, it is possible to just grab the BFG on map20. At first it seemed impossible to me but later I saw Nevan doing it in ZDaemon. Here is a demonstration (sorry, took me a while, not an easy grab for me).

edit: oh, but the BFG sector is a secret so you need to jump anyway...

ur20-bfg.zip

Thanks for the clarification on the zombie effect phenomenon guys, makes sense now.

And yeah Memfis, there's not much use to that grab in speedruns I'm afraid. Cool find nevertheless, could be somewhat helpful in multiplayer I guess. Now the BK grab on the other hand...

Map25 UV-Max in 4:17

Really, really (really) disappointed in this map. Would have so much potential for great under four minute demos, if not for six timed Cacos taking their sweet time ascending from a goddamn bottomless pit. And there's nothing you can do about it, they always take the same around four minutes to appear. So you could have the smoothest run ever recorded and not get a better time than this, if one of the Cacos decides to go into fuck you -mode and linger beyond the wall. Really too bad.

ur25-417.zip

:/

Huh... never experienced anything this severe during playtesting. That really is annoying as shit. I guess one of the toughest things for me to do was to try and balance out demo-friendly maps with casual-friendly play and the result is the occasional shit like this. I still honestly can't believe it turned out like that. Still fun to watch, but blegh.

The #doom community at irc.speedrunslive.com put together another demo pack following an IL competition that took place in July 2014. Here are the top results:

======= UV-Speed =======
Map   Runner        Time
========================
01    4shockblast   0:07 (Pacifist)
03    4shockblast   0:24 (Pacifist)
04    Tezur0        0:27
05    4shockblast   1:23
06    4shockblast   0:18 (Pacifist)
07    4shockblast   0:37
09    4shockblast   0:50
10    4shockblast   0:49
12    Kraflab       0:04 (Pacifist)
13    4shockblast   0:06 (Pacifist)
14    4shockblast   0:22
15    4shockblast   0:30 (Pacifist)
15s   4shockblast   0:05 (Pacifist)
18    4shockblast   0:17 (Pacifist)
19    4shockblast   0:14 (Pacifist)
20    Kraflab       1:05 (Pacifist)
22    4shockblast   0:15 (Pacifist)
25    4shockblast   0:23 (Pacifist)
26    4shockblast   0:16 (Pacifist)
32    4shockblast   1:28

======= NM-Speed =======
Map   Runner        Time
========================
01    4shockblast   0:07 (Also Pacifist)
07    4shockblast   0:38
15s   4shockblast   0:05 (Also Pacifist)
19    4shockblast   0:13 (Also Pacifist)
25    4shockblast   0:25 (Also Pacifist)

======= NM-100S ========
Map   Runner        Time
========================
01    4shockblast   0:14 (Also Pacifist)
Please let me know if I made any mistakes in the textfile. :)

ur_srl.zip

4shockblast said:

Map 30 UV-Speed in 0:34

Wonderful! Glad to see this little diddy get knocked out.