Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HK!D

Doom Sound Effects in Movies, TV Shows and other Games

Has anyone else ever heard a sound used in Doom used in another Movie, TV Show, or Game?

It sounds like Doom actually uses a good amount of stock sound effects, but I still like hearing them outside of Doom.

-Aqua Teen Hunger Force uses the Icon Of Sin cube spawn sound effect for Frylock's telekinesis power. (In the first and second episode at least)

-This Star Trek game uses the sound effect for the door:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrX0kec7so

Any other examples?

This was on TV Tropes, too:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoomDoors

Doctor Who - The Impossible Planet
Door open and Door close were used in that. Last time this thread was done on DW, someone mentioned the IoS spawn cube sound may have been used but I never verified it.

edit: yeah, that's on the tvtropes link

I noticed the same thing with sound effects I heard in Resident Evil, where years later I'm hearing those same effects in commercials and movies.

The very worst offense is when movies and/or shows uses stock Atari 2600 sound effects from Pac Man and Donkey Kong to depict a modern console being played by the actors. It's insulting because everybody knows where those sounds came from, except of course the cheap-asses that decided to use them for sound effects.

I know that the spawn cube sound was used in Event Horizon a couple of times. And I think the imp-dying camel sound was used in the Mummy.

I suspect, but i am not sure, that the southpark episode that is a parody on twitter (let go let gov) and the whole prism program, has a doom door sound for the room that holds santaclaus.

iirc isn't there a thread on zdoomforums that lists a ton of these?

In addition the doors that get used everywhere the most recent one I remember is the HK death-noise in MiB2 for Jarra.

I heard the BFG sound in the movie Incredibles yesterday when syndrome uses that laser force field thing with his finger.

In Street Fighter EX2 Plus, hearing the closing door sound in Shadowgeist's meteor combo was cool in 2001.

The spawn cube sound is the only one I hear often, and it never works as well as it does for the spawn cubes. Seriously, that's the only thing that sound works well for, stop using it as a generic fire/plasma ball sound, and it's certainly not an appropriate sound for a rocket launch.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The spawn cube sound is the only one I hear often, and it never works as well as it does for the spawn cubes. Seriously, that's the only thing that sound works well for, stop using it as a generic fire/plasma ball sound, and it's certainly not an appropriate sound for a rocket launch.

Yeah, of all Doom sounds the icon of sin spawn cube seems to be used the most commonly. And it is misused alot.

EDIT: Oh, and the ironic thing is that the sound effect was based off of a fireball launch. Look up "Fireball impact and large fire burst rumble" if you want to find it.

I'm always hearing that damn spawn cube sound in films and tv, and it sticks out like such a sore thumb because it basically doesn't sound like any noise this universe has ever produced, and yet people seem to think it works well as an explosion/fire ball/magical spell effect.

To me it sounds like someone using a whip to open a can of beer in a cave and not much else.

Piper Maru said:

I'm positive I've heard Imp death grunts as sounds for Camels in various movies and television shows.

I'm pretty sure I heard the sound in a commercial recently.

Piper Maru said:

I'm positive I've heard Imp death grunts as sounds for Camels in various movies and television shows.

Age Of Empires II used them for its camel units, along with DSPODTH1 and DSPODTH2. DSPODTH3 is featured in many games, including Tiberian Dawn (as one of the infantry death screams), and X-COM: Terror From The Deep (for pretty much the same purpose). In both of these cases however it's played back at a much higher pitch than how Doom's bipedal maggots would emit it.

Tiberian Dawn also uses a modified DSBFG for "low power" situations, and when firing the Ion Cannon.

Edit:
For what it's worth, a shitty Net Yaroze FPS (appropriately titled "Clone") used DSBOSPIT and DSPLPAIN; the former for (predictably enough) enemy fireball attacks, and the latter for when the player was healing; needless to say, that last one caused some confusion for me the first time I played it.

I just remembered the monster pain sound was used in the Unity Horror game "The Lost Souls" as an ambient sound effect, along with a bunch of stock screams and moans. It's also kind of a funny coincidence that it sounds like a game about Doom Lost Souls.

Piper Maru said:

I think the sounds came from animals in the first place.

Basically older games used to use generic sounds like movies did, now they mostly just use completely new sounds.

When the mountain blows its top in the movie "Dante's Peak" a good 6 or 7 spawn cubes are evidently mixed into the pyroclastic flow.

Interesting fact: Firefox doesn't know pyroclastic is a word.

FirebrandX said:

The very worst offense is when movies and/or shows uses stock Atari 2600 sound effects from Pac Man and Donkey Kong to depict a modern console being played by the actors. It's insulting because everybody knows where those sounds came from, except of course the cheap-asses that decided to use them for sound effects.

I imagine it's probably a cheap way of getting out of having to get the rights to use modern game sound effects, but It's a very half-assed way to get around that. It reminds me of this one time I was in a Target where the electronics isle had a picture of some kids laughing and playing on a DS that didn't even have a game inserted.

How do you know they ripped them and didn't obtain them from a particular source which ID might have gotten there's from also?

Speaking of the FAQ, the entry just below might use some updating.
* jDoom is now only known as Doomsday, and the URL is now http://www.dengine.net/
* Doom Legacy's URL is now http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/ since Newdoom stopped hosting sites
* Maybe link PrBoom+ instead of PrBoom
* Skulltag has been abandoned and superseded by Zandronum
* ZDoomGL has been abandoned

Have heard alot of the Doom sounds in commercials, movies, and cartoons/anime. Door opening and closing sound, rocket launcher, imp dying, former human dying, spawn cube etc.....

But one event of hearing the spawn cube I will never forget...

Back in 1998 or 1999, in my first or second semester of College at UNO, I was exiting the Math building which was two buildings away from the huge library. Well that day they had been setting up these huge speakers and a stage for some event as there is a big open area(larger than a football field) that extends all the way to one of the parking lots where I parked.

At the end of class, I could never get home fast enough to play games and forget about college classes. As I am walking across campus to get to my car, my back to the library, I hear the fucking Icon of Sin spawn cube blast across the fucking field unbelievably loud and clear. I spun around so fast that my back pack swung around and hit my chest. My adrenaline was on full blast and my skin was crawling and I stood there staring at the library stage and huge speakers.

...then, rap music started playing. That's right, a fucking rap song used the spawn cube sound as the intro. That is the worst possible use of any Doom sound in my book but, I will never forget that instant. I was 18 years old then and as I type this and think back on it at 33 years old now, I still get the chills hearing that spawn cube
sound in real life so loud and clear in an open area.

The Sabreclaws in Heretic and the dragons in Warcraft II use the same sounds. I've heard them other places too, can't remember where though.

e- here's one, 8 seconds in.

plums said:

The Sabreclaws in Heretic and the dragons in Warcraft II use the same sounds. I've heard them other places too, can't remember where though.

TES: Arena's liches.

Guest Unregistered account

There's a CBBC advert that advertises the show M.I.High which uses the Doom 64/PSX Doom door opening sound effect...

Here's a link to that game I mentioned earlier:

http://youtu.be/xHxUopoa-6E?t=4m57s

At 4:57, you can hear a different version of the monster pain sound. The guy playing (Markiplier) even acknowledges it's a Doom sound effect.

EDIT: I know it could be a different sound not from Doom, but I bet it might just be a longer version of it.

Piper Maru said:

PowerSlave comes to mind.

Piper Maru said:

Makes sense... those are actual camel sounds x)