Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Allow attaching demos in other forums?

Nowadays many people post FDAs and other kinds of demos when commenting on various wads in the "WADs & Mods" forums. Of course they always use speedyshare or similar hosting services that delete the files sooner or later, which makes finding these demos very difficult for future readers. So maybe attaching lmps could be allowed there? The first obvious objection to this idea is that some people might abuse the system to upload other types of files but that's why moderators exist I guess? Also you might reply that people can upload demos in this forum and then just link to them but let's be honest: it's inconvenient and messy.

Memfis said:
Also you might reply that people can upload demos in this forum and then just link to them but let's be honest: it's inconvenient and messy.

Linking to an attachment in Speed Demos places recordings where they belong and so that they can be found later regardless of their original purpose, and it's easier and more permanent than using most third-party file sharing sites.

That's even more inconvenient than uploading it to third party sites. I guess that's why everyone uploads demos to third party sites.

To each his own on that, to me using file-sharing sites is Chinese, whereas attaching a demo is common know-how.

Memfis said:
but for some reason you prefer to use attachments in wads&mods instead of linking like that?

In the sense that the military prefer to carry assault weapons and doctors prefer to prescribe drugs, but civilians carry lighter weapons at most and patients can just recommend medicine that doesn't need prescriptions.

Memfis, this is something us Speed Demos mods (or even the resident supermods) have absolutely 0 control of. You'd have to petition Bloodshedder & co, getting pissy at myk will get you nowhere, heh. And I actually do post in the FDA thread and then link to it in the WADs thread whenever I do a public demo. It would be quite convenient to allow attachments in there, although I can imagine that backfiring via zipbombs and whatnot.

Memfis said:

Also you might reply that people can upload demos in this forum and then just link to them but let's be honest: it's inconvenient and messy.

I actually never thought of that. What is the protocol for doing something like that? I doubt I can just make a thread in here so I can say "hey I just need a post so I can upload this FDA for some random unfinished single level pwad so the author can view it."

Is there a thread in here where we can do that? The Miscellaneous Demos (part 2) thread perhaps?

It is much neater if people post demos in the Demos forum and link to them.

But I do acknowledge that people have for whatever reason tended not to do this. Maybe the lack of a 100% dedicated thread for this purpose hasn't helped. With that in mind, I've created a new sticky thread. In it, I have indicated that you can link directly to an attachment (like this), so it is really quite convenient.

Please use this thread!

Grazza said:

It also makes it far easier for Andy to find demos for his DSDA site.

What a point for tracking down demos for all of these demo & beta wads? It seems like Sisyphus work.

Nah, thanks. I'll stick to third party sites. The fact that almost nobody bothers to do the linking thing should have been an obvious clue that it's unnecessarily inconvenient and it's not going to happen. And really, getting all those crappy FDAs of unfinished wads cluttering DSDA is the last thing I want.

j4rio said:

Nah, thanks. I'll stick to third party sites. The fact that almost nobody bothers to do the linking thing should have been an obvious clue that it's unnecessarily inconvenient and it's not going to happen. And really, getting all those crappy FDAs of unfinished wads cluttering DSDA is the last thing I want.

This.

j4rio said:

And really, getting all those crappy FDAs of unfinished wads cluttering DSDA is the last thing I want.

What I had in mind was that if Andy *wanted* to include them (or some of them), it would be easier for him to find them all here than needing to search other forums and file-sharing sites. It's up to him what to include on his site, of course.

Anyway, wording changed to accommodate your preferences.

I like attachments for FDAs because it's happened to me that I've been unable to watch some stuff I wanted to see which was not stored at the DSDA just because I had been away for a while and the temp uploads died. Granted, it happens to the beta WADs that the demos run on too, but they tend to last a bit more as they are downloaded more than each of the demos.

j4rio said:
The fact that almost nobody bothers to do the linking thing should have been an obvious clue that it's unnecessarily inconvenient and it's not going to happen.

If only habit weren't a factor in human behavior, but a thousand years ago and with hundreds of years of thought, most scholars were confident the planetary system revolved around the Earth, and that didn't make it true.

Using a third party site involves knowing the use of different sites that aren't part of Doomworld, something that isn't necessary to post here, while attaching demos here is practically inevitable and required knowledge for anyone who tends to post demos.

Intuitively and without further knowledge, many may not know about the direct linking of attachments in posts, and others might have thought making a separate demo post just to link it somewhere else isn't welcome. With that, you can see third party sites being used more, yet that changes once info exists and clarifications are made.

Third party sites, except for a few of them, also tend to make you open another page, maybe with pop-ups or annoying ads that haven't been blocked already, while a direct link to an attachment is immediate. The hassle would be that you have to make an additional attachment post, which is not much different from uploading to a third party site.

This is just to clarify in response to generic assumptions, though, as habits matter and each individual can do different things more or less easily due to quirks and experiences, which means that for some using a third party site may be cozier regardless of any reasonings I gave above.

I'll probably start using the linked attachment method myself instead of a direct attachment, now that the thread exists.

That's cool and all but I still see no reason to prohibite attachments in wads/mods.

I'm glad that something was done about this situation and I like the idea of a dedicated thread, thanks Grazza! Maybe it could be somehow advertised in the Wads & Mods forum as well so that more people would know about it?

I have restuck myk's old thread about this and added a comment about the new thread.

Wads and Mods has rather too many stickies at present, but some of them should be vanishing soon enough.