Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

Music is the same as the PC music in the BFG Edition, only the original XBLA release uses different music assignments (but both ZDoom and Eternity adopt these assignments, since they're obviously what was intended). They're on the wiki:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/No_Rest_for_the_Living

As noted there, the secret exit is on MAP04, goes to MAP09. The end text and Doom II monster shooting end sequence occur after MAP08.

Additionally, the PC BFG IWAD still has a secret exit switch on MAP02. It went to Level 33: Betray in the original Xbox version, which is still in the BFG wad, if you want to support that.

Patrol1985 said:

but map31 is named "Wolfenstein" (instead of "IDKFA") and map32 is named "Grosse" (instead of "Keen").

Well, that was the easy part. Everything else regarding nerve.wad will be a lot harder to implement...

diff --git a/src/d_main.c b/src/d_main.c
index df6be42..afdc8c5 100644
--- a/src/d_main.c
+++ b/src/d_main.c
@@ -1689,6 +1689,12 @@ static void D_DoomMainSetup(void)

lprintf(LO_INFO,"\n");     // killough 3/6/98: add a newline, by popular demand :)

+  if (bfgedition)
+  {
+    s_HUSTR_31 = "level 31: idkfa";
+    s_HUSTR_32 = "level 32: keen";
+  }
+
   // e6y 
   // option to disable automatic loading of dehacked-in-wad lump
   if (!M_CheckParm ("-nodeh"))

Quasar said:

BEX blocks tolerate neither blank lines nor, in some cases at least, comments (!!!!).

But blank lines between stanzas are allowed in BEX format, right? They are even mandatory, right?

If not, I have seriously thrashed prboom-plus' BEX parser during the previous months... :/

I think what Quasar meant is that blank lines are not tolerated _within_ blocks because a blank line _ends_ the block.

But please be reassured that blank lines between sections are fine, even needed.

RjY said:

But please be reassured that blank lines between sections are fine, even needed.

Phew! I was a bit confused to see that prboom-plus did choke on something like

[STRINGS]
a = b
[MUSIC]
c = d
, whereas
[STRINGS]
a = b

[MUSIC]
c = d
, i.e. the introduction of a blank line between both stanzas worked. Good to know that this is the expected behaviour. :)

Works like a charm now! The entering screen Dragonsbrethren mentioned seems to appear, it's just the writing that's missing (but the background is accurate and there is a sound of shotgun loading, as it should be).

No Rest for the Living works assuming that doom2.wad was taken from the BFG edition, but that's the way it should be since nerve.wad was shipped together with the BFG edition right?

Great work on the update! Now I can use PrBoom+ with all official WADs :D

EDIT:

On a somewhat unrelated note: I'm a linux newbie and I'm still learning the basics of the system. I managed to install PRboom+ using instructions located in the "install" file, but I have two questions:

1. Can I use GLboom-plus under linux (the /usr/local/games directory only contains "prboom-plus" and "prboom-plus-game-server" programs)?

2. Since PRboom plus's files are scattered around different directories, is there an easy way to uninstall PRboom plus? I tried using Apt-get to do it, but it does not seem to recognize the program.

Patrol1985 said:

1. Can I use GLboom-plus under linux (the /usr/local/games directory only contains "prboom-plus" and "prboom-plus-game-server" programs)?

The distinction is only made on Windows for some long-forgotten historical reason. On other platforms PrBoom+ _is_ GLBoom+. Anyway you just set OpenGL from the menus (Options / General / Video mode / OpenGL, then you might have to quit pr+ and run it again), or put -vidmode gl on the command line if you just want the setting temporarily.

Patrol1985 said:

2. Since PRboom plus's files are scattered around different directories, is there an easy way to uninstall PRboom plus? I tried using Apt-get to do it, but it does not seem to recognize the program.

You'd have to _install_ it via apt-get to use apt-get to uninstall it :-) If you still have the source tree, cd into it and "make uninstall"

RjY said:

The distinction is only made on Windows for some long-forgotten historical reason. On other platforms PrBoom+ _is_ GLBoom+. Anyway you just set OpenGL from the menus (Options / General / Video mode / OpenGL, then you might have to quit pr+ and run it again), or put -vidmode gl on the command line if you just want the setting temporarily.

It worked, thanks!

RjY said:

You'd have to _install_ it via apt-get to use apt-get to uninstall it :-) If you still have the source tree, cd into it and "make uninstall"

I kept my source tree and tried "make uninstall", but it didn't work. Either there is no uninstall information in the source, or I did something wrong. I reinstalled the game using checkinstall, which allows me to uninstall the game easily.

Thanks for your help nonetheless!

RjY said:

The distinction is only made on Windows for some long-forgotten historical reason.

That reason is most likely the lack of OpenGL on the original Windows 95. The OpenGL DLL only got added to a later update. Today it's pointless to make the distinction at all.

entryway: are you interested in letting prplus use map01-map99? Like an option to make map30 exit go to map33, then 34, then 35, etc?

TimeOfDeath said:

entryway: are you interested in letting prplus use map01-map99? Like an option to make map30 exit go to map33, then 34, then 35, etc?

Currently, idclevXX contains a sanity check that (XX <= 32). This is only weakened to (XX <= 33) if the current IWAD is doom2.wad from the BFG Edition, because this is the only official IWAD that actually contains a 33rd level

• . It is, however, accessible from a secret exit in level 2, not 30, and returns to level 3.

Since prboom-plus is not going to support MAPINFO in the short term, these map progressions have to be hard-coded. And since there is no other IWAD that supports levels beyond map32, chances are low that this list will ever get extended.

• Actually, D2TWID does also contain a map33 which is accessible from a secret exit in map02 and returns to map03. So, currently, this level progression does only work as intended if D2TWID.wad is loaded as a PWAD to the doom2 IWAD from the BFG Edition.

Ribbiks said:

yah thad be nice. if nothing else idclev33,34,35, would be a plus :)

You can still use the "-warp XX" parameter. However, a patch to support levels beyond map32 in idclev is easily implemented based on the presence of the corresponding mapXX lump. *hint*

fabian said:

• Actually, D2TWID does also contain a map33 which is accessible from a secret exit in map02 and returns to map03. So, currently, this level progression does only work as intended if D2TWID.wad is loaded as a PWAD to the doom2 IWAD from the BFG Edition.

• yes, but such non standard traveling will be available only if no demo recording or playback

entryway said:

yes, but such non standard traveling will be available only if no demo recording or playback

that restriction is not yet implemented

I downloaded 2.5.1.4.test recently and it mostly works great, only problem I'm having is that I can't get Boom colourmaps on transfer properties linedefs to have any effect in GL mode. They seem to work in SW mode still. Tried playing with some config values but no luck, but maybe I didn't get the right one.

test file if needed: http://www.mediafire.com/download/w1vnzmjyubxdpb8/deepwtr7.1.3.wad

plums said:

I downloaded 2.5.1.4.test recently and it mostly works great, only problem I'm having is that I can't get Boom colourmaps on transfer properties linedefs to have any effect in GL mode. They seem to work in SW mode still. Tried playing with some config values but no luck, but maybe I didn't get the right one.

Do you have "enable external hi-res" switched on? By some unknown reasons, boom colormaps don't work for me if it's enabled. Since 2.5.1.0

Thanks! That fixed it. Not sure when I turned that on but it happened at some point obviously.

plums said:

Thanks! That fixed it. Not sure when I turned that on but it happened at some point obviously.

I still don't understand why the colormap in the level you posted works with my configuration, but the fademap in the cellar of Freedoom's MAP01 does not...

fabian said:

I still don't understand why the colormap in the level you posted works with my configuration, but the fademap in the cellar of Freedoom's MAP01 does not...

The only difference I can think of offhand is that my example map uses WATERMAP which is a PrBoom-plus internal colormap, whereas the Freedoom map is provided by the Freedoom wad. But that's just a guess really.

plums said:

The only difference I can think of offhand is that my example map uses WATERMAP which is a PrBoom-plus internal colormap, whereas the Freedoom map is provided by the Freedoom wad. But that's just a guess really.

But the map is found, it works in the software renderer but not in the opengl renderer.

Colormap effects are software renderer-specific tricks. Emulating them with hardware acceleration is not trivial. Recoloring and custom fog are completely different special effects for OpenGL. The former is being detected by the engine, the latter is not.

[edit]

I think that detecting custom fog should be relatively straightforward. Read colors from colormap 31, interpolate them, then use the resulting color for fog (and maybe even lighting) instead of black.

GZDoom also supports fullbright colors. They work like glowmaps, I suppose.

Feature/change request for PrBoom+: when initializing IWADs at startup, please add prboom-plus.wad before the IWAD, not after. This allows the IWAD file (eg. Freedoom) to override some of the additional resources from prboom-plus.wad.

Da Werecat said:

Colormap effects are software renderer-specific tricks. Emulating them with hardware acceleration is not trivial. Recoloring and custom fog are completely different special effects for OpenGL. The former is being detected by the engine, the latter is not.

Indeed, prboom-plus does neither support FOGMAP with the opengl renderer. :(

code memo request for PrBoom+ :
    clear notification where the prboom-plus.wad is loaded.

in standard prboom code this is as clear as daylight, but in prboom+ this seems to be rewritten and hard to find.

FireFish said:
    code memo request for PrBoom+ :
    clear notification where the prboom-plus.wad is loaded.

trunk r2977:
    Currently prboom.wad is loaded by hacking the wad autoloading feature ({wad,deh}_file{1,2} in prboom.cfg) to have effectively a hidden third option wadfile_3 whose value is always prboom.wad.

Allow me the indulgence of quoting from my own commit message :-) The actual code starts at the end of M_LoadDefaults:

/* proff 2001/7/1 - added prboom.wad as last entry so it's always loaded and
         doesn't overlap with the cfg settings */
      //e6y: Check on existence of prboom.wad
      if (!(wad_files[MAXLOADFILES-1] = I_FindFile(PACKAGE_TARNAME ".wad", "")))
        I_Error("PrBoom-Plus.wad not found. Can't continue.");
    This is then picked up in d_main.c (search for MAXLOADFILES, around line 1600)

thank you for the effort you made to explain this.

maybe 2 hours after posting, i figured it out by checking all of the 205 main source files.

PrBoom+ runs weird on retina display Macs. See here for a screenshot. That was with -width 800 -height 600 on the command line. Looks like it's running at 800x600 but the window is 1600x1200.