Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

So what considers a "True Doomer"?

What would one consider a "True Doomer" or a "True Doom player"?

Well let me guess, A Doomer who completes a slaughter map or a extremely hard map on UV max in the shortest or fastest time possible and if anyone who cannot do that is not a true doomer....

PRIMEVAL said:

Someone who plays Doom.

This.

If you play Doom and enjoy it, you're a "true doomer" in my eyes.

The question implies that there is also a notion of a "false doomer". Now that would be an interesting question to answer - who may be considered a false doomer? :D

I figure if you play Doom and enjoy it in some form, you're a Doomer. Sure, we have our Vanilla players, or Brutal Doomers, the PC masters, the console guys, and the like, but we're all under the Doomer title in some form. A false Doomer would probably be someone who says they like the game but secretly hate it? lol

Anyone who play and enjoy the game is a "Doomer".

A true doomer is a guy who can beat the Iwads on Nightmare, know and will usually use the game tricks in order to finish levels quicker and can kill the IoS with a berserk pack.

A true Doomer beats every map under par time with 100%x3, in Tyson mode (except boss levels, which are run in Pacifist), on Nightmare skill, using keyboard only and PC sound, on a 386 running vanilla Doom with a 12-inch CRT. Without ever getting hit once.

You know, like a true programmer codes by running a magnet over a harddrive to write the bytes directly by hand.

I think the question itself is kinda silly. Whats the point of it? Also, who says there's anything like "true doomers" in the first place?

I still play Doom. isn't that enough?

I have been playing DooM for almost 20 years. In that 20 years I have hardly played any other games.They mean nothing to me.

I played DooM on my 386 SX machine with 4Mb of RAM when it litterally took up 10% of my 105 Mb hard drive.

I actually *paid money* to upgrade my machine with a math co-processor and an extra Mb of RAM to make my machine run fast enough to no longer require me shrinking the screen down or running in 160 x 200 resolution.

I *BOUGHT* collections of user made wads on 3.5" floppies and CD ROM in the days before I was on the internet.

I used to use old editors that ran in DOS. Occasionally, I still do.

No computer I have owned since 1994 has not had DooM installed on it for more than a couple of days after being taken out of the box.

I may not be the best deathmatcher, or the fastest or most efficient player--I can't even circle strafe--but DooM has been my game of choice since the spring of 1994, and it still is.

*I* am a true DooMer.

Anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.

SFoZ911 said:

Anyone who play and enjoy the game is a "Doomer".

A true doomer is a guy who can beat the Iwads on Nightmare, know and will usually use the game tricks in order to finish levels quicker and can kill the IoS with a berserk pack.

Well, there was a system of titles once such as "Doom Master" (DM), "Doom Grand Master" (DGM), "Doom Tyson" (DT), "Doom Grand Ass Kicker" (DGAK) etc. which was awarded after demonstrating (with a demo) of being able to beat any (IWAD, I presume) level on UV, NM or other formulas. Somewhat related to Compet-N demo categories, you could slam the title near your sig e.g. "Maes DMGAK" ;-)

But who remembers those, nowadays?

A true Doom fan is someone who will defend it when someone makes fun of it. It is someone who will love it over anything else no matter what age and is not afraid to shout it out to the world. A true Doom fan will encourage others to learn the important meanings that Doom holds. And you'll love Doom forever and ever.

Hitherto said:

Well, what about a False Doomer?

I guess that would be someone who thinks they're a god at Doom and knows it all.

Well slaughter maps focus more on the killing part than the other parts in maps so I wouldn't call a true doomer someone who only plays slaughter maps.

Clonehunter said:

"True Doomer" is a fallacy. There is no such thing. The real question is, what makes a "True Quaker"?

Does having several Pentium I machines dedicated to Quake, two of which are networked together, playing Quake Rally frequently and Requiem and KQP bots and Navy Seals Quake count?

Used to play Quake deathmatch on dialup everyday after school before Gamespy came out so had server IPs written on yellow post-it-notes scattered on computer desk. Funniest shit happened in Quake.

Been seriously playing Doom for 14-15 years. Not constantly, mind you but I have played it a lot in that amount of time. And I do mean a lot, to the point where I've been ridiculed and such, but fuck it, I love me some Doom.

Snakes said:

Doom is a false prophet. Videogames are a superstition.

You're giving me a gggmork vibe for some reason.

A false Doomer is one who pretends to enjoy playing Doom and making Doom levels, but gets fed up easily, and when confronted on the forums about the quality of his work (if he's a map author) will get defensive quickly, quit and never ever come back to do anything Doom-like. There have been a few guys doing this, and a justification for their actions is probably this. Hint: not necessarily CJW. That was just a spoiled manchild. Probably Death-Destiny counted, he seemed very stressed out about it.