Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Source code/Generator missing for some lumps

Today I wanted to understand how the colormaps and especially mfademap in the lumps/ directory work and how they are generated. However, that directory does only contain them as binary blobs. There is no code included to regenerate them, not even a text file with instructions.

These have always been just static lumps. They were added in the early days of the project. It would probably be best to redo them by generating them programatically (like the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps are). In fact it would probably be fairly straightforward to adapt the COLORMAP generation script to do different effects.

fraggle said:

These have always been just static lumps.

Even more then they should get replaced by a generation routine.

They were added in the early days of the project. It would probably be best to redo them by generating them programatically (like the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps are). In fact it would probably be fairly straightforward to adapt the COLORMAP generation script to do different effects.

Great, do you think you could achieve that before the 0.8 release?

I now have a prototype of this working, though it probably needs some more tweaking to get right. The lavamap in particular is inferior to the statically generated lavamap, and I'm not quite sure what the effect is that was used there.

This opens the door to adding all kinds of new colormaps though. Anyone have any ideas?