Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

3D bridge not working.

I'm not entirely sure what is wrong with this. I have tried linedef special 91 and 83, switching them around and experimenting with other linedef specials but this bridge will not work whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone could perhaps look at this and see where I have gone wrong and tell me what could possibly be going wrong please? As I have spent the past hour trying to get this to work (I tried looking at an existing map that uses one but couldn't see much of a difference). http://www.mediafire.com/download/r85zb3dvgdcbg2r/This+turkey+needs+more+cocaine+Nigella.wad

This is just from personal experience, but try linking the main sector to the control sectors before you self-reference it and only self-reference the lines in the map rather than the ones adjacent to the control sectors. It took me a while to figure that out myself. :)

Obsidian said:

This is just from personal experience, but try linking the main sector to the control sectors before you self-reference it and only self-reference the lines in the map rather than the ones adjacent to the control sectors. It took me a while to figure that out myself. :)

I tried that bit before but it didn't work (if you mean the parts where STEPTOP is used) well, that was before I implemented the control sector thinking about it. Anyway, I tried it and I get a problem that happened to me before which was that the floor textures showed when walking across the bridge.

I made a few changes which seem to work -

• Joined the control sector (73) to the bridge step sectors
  • Changed the floor/ceiling heights of sector 74 to 16/136
  • Changed the linedef actions to 24697 for the underpass (81 & 153) and 25081 for the bridge (371 & 372)
Being a Boom project allows the added flexibility of generalized linedefs.

Thanks Grey Ghost! I see an improvement, the only thing I haven't implemented is joining the control sector as I'm not entirely sure if you mean joining it by tagging it (which I think I have done), or actually placing the control sector where the smaller rectangles in the bridge are. As I have noticed the bridges I looked at highlight those rectangles (not in yellow though) when hovering over said control sector but it doesn't with mine (I presume this must be where the joining part comes in?)

This turkey needs more cocaine Nigella.wad?
Now I've seen everything. I hope it contains some reference to the recent marital violence 8)

Eris Falling said:

This turkey needs more cocaine Nigella.wad?
Now I've seen everything. I hope it contains some reference to the recent marital violence 8)

Bingo! Someone actually gets the joke. :P Yes, it is a dig at Ms Lawson due to the recent accusations.

I got the joke as well but was too polite to comment. :P

Springy said:

Thanks Grey Ghost!...

...As I have noticed the bridges I looked at highlight those rectangles (not in yellow though) when hovering over said control sector but it doesn't with mine (I presume this must be where the joining part comes in?)

You're welcome. The steps and control sector have to be treated by the game engine as a single sector (highlight sectors 65 to 73 and hit J), so what's currently sector 73 can control how high the floor rises.

Oh, I see. I have never joined sectors so thanks for the shortcut. I only have one minor problem that keeps persisting however, it's when the bridge is up it still displays the textures of the floor underneath it. It's quite minor and doesn't interfere with play but it doesn't look professional. Thanks again Grey Ghost!

Springy said:

I only have one minor problem that keeps persisting however, it's when the bridge is up it still displays the textures of the floor underneath it.

You'll also notice a HOM when looking at the raised bridge from the rocket launcher pedestal or thereabouts. Some fiddling with sidedef sector references fixed those issues, I also added a second dummy sector in order to revert to linedef actions 83 & 91 (you can no longer run onto a half-raised bridge) and moved the control sector further away, so the bridge is now almost silent.

Bon appétit

Thanks. I already moved the two sectors away a few hours ago. I would have preferred to have implemented the actual changes into the wad myself if I'm honest, seeing as I have made some other changes earlier and I'm a bit fussy about people implementing things into my stuff but I can't thank you enough for the help you've given, I'll probably download and look at it later on today.

No problem. If you don't want to cheat and look at what I've done - edit all the STEPTOP linedefs so they're facing Sector 0 on both sides and edit the outward-facing sidedefs of the bridge's lift sections to face the control sector. That should clear up the graphic glitches AND confuse Doom Builder's renderer, which won't show flats on the affected sectors. I added a second dummy sector to the control sector which has both ceiling and floor set to 16 (to set the control sector's floor level), set the other dummy's ceiling/floor to 304/136 then changed back to the vanilla linedef actions.

Okay, I implemented the changes after a few attempts it didn't work, so I resorted to downloading what you changed I had a browse and I couldn't see much of a difference apart from the placement and position of the three sectors so I tried replacing mine with yours but it still didn't work. I'll have a much more thorough look when I'm at a PC.

I decided to use an alternative solution that was suggested to me. After using different node builders amongst some other things without success. Thanks for the help though, it did help me to understand the way of building bridges and the problems that can be caused so I really appreciate the help.