Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kontra Kommando

Doom Builder Stops Responding When Creating New Sectors [WAD included]

I was working on a super large map in Doom II format (yea, I know). But eventually I started experiencing issues with Doom Builder. Once the node builders began to fail to build, I converted the map to zdoom format, and then to UDMF. The nodes build, and the map runs even better. However, I have been experiencing an annoying problem; even from before the conversions. Every time I try to create a new sector, doom builder lags horribly, and is prone to not respond for several minutes. Everything else seems a bit slower too. But I am able to copy and past sectors with little lag, so right now that is my only way around this.

Could someone give a look under the hood for my mod, and give me some insight on what I should do? I ran map analysis, and other than overlapping things, and missing textures, the level checks out okay.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/674dgyhcd6550i7/Dawn%20of%20Doom%20Pre%20Alpha.wad.backup1

Yikes, I see what you mean. I would bet it has to do with the fact that you've got such a huge space that's almost entirely 2-sided linedefs. You're really pushing against what Doom (and Doom Builder) were designed for and you're definitely going to have performance problems.

Did you try GZDoom builder? I can't imagine it would be much faster, but I don't know what's been updated in it.

OK, yeah, I just deleted the big unfilled outdoor areas and now things run quite fast. I don't know if breaking the big sectors up would help, I think you just need some areas that aren't joined by any space at all.

Why does copying and pasting sectors work? I have no idea.

You might get better performance in an older or simpler map editor, I don't know if that's an option for you though. You'd definitely have to switch back from UDMF to an older format.

plums said:

Yikes, I see what you mean. I would bet it has to do with the fact that you've got such a huge space that's almost entirely 2-sided linedefs. You're really pushing against what Doom (and Doom Builder) were designed for and you're definitely going to have performance problems.

Did you try GZDoom builder? I can't imagine it would be much faster, but I don't know what's been updated in it.

OK, yeah, I just deleted the big unfilled outdoor areas and now things run quite fast. I don't know if breaking the big sectors up would help, I think you just need some areas that aren't joined by any space at all.

Why does copying and pasting sectors work? I have no idea.

You might get better performance in an older or simpler map editor, I don't know if that's an option for you though. You'd definitely have to switch back from UDMF to an older format.

Thanks, I will try all of those options out tonight.

I've literally spent full days back to back on this wad, I'm not about to give up on it.

Yeah it definitely is because of the one large sector with a huge amount of 2s-lines in it (#412). If it's possible to break it up at all, that will help with the speed a lot (for creating sectors at least, not in-game).

I tried with the SLADE3 map editor and it is much faster at creating sectors than GZDB, though it still takes a few seconds on my system.

Wow, splitting up the sector fixed the issue, now I'm back in business. Thanks a a lot!

I originally had an idea to design a level "sim city" style; basically lay out the geography first, and then start building up a city-like area around it. Now I've learned the best way to do that, is to give it area code-like sectors.