Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Magnusblitz said:

On the seventh day in December,
Magnus gave to me...
A replacement for the end of E3

E4M8-as-E3: "Abomination"
http://speedy.sh/uHYgp/e4m8-as-e3-v0.3.wad

I like the map, works well as a boss map. Well, at the very least, as a 90's-style boss map. I first tested only in Zandronum and pretty wondered if there aren't any DRAWSEGS overflows, because some areas are heavily linedef-detailed. Then I replayed in Chocorenderlimits - and it was better than I thought. Still there was one DRAWSEGS overflowing place - here. I think each of the pillars in lava could use less linedefs. You have each pillar consisting of 8 lines. 5 lines would already make for a nice looks, but 3 or 4 would be enough too.

I particularly like the skinny [I-cannot-say-maze] part with yellow skull inside. The occasional inclusion of comp/techy textures and decorations was an interesting touch - though it would better match Doom2's interpretation of hell and not Doom's Inferno. I'd personally add barons towards the end to directly guard the switches in the final room, and also I wouldn't clutter weapons as you did in the skinny part. None of these are a problem though, I'm pleased with the map as it is. Good job and thanks for taking care of the map.

A 90's map that doesn't look like shit, now that's what I call mapping.

Then I replayed in Chocorenderlimits - and it was better than I thought. Still there was one DRAWSEGS overflowing place - here. I think each of the pillars in lava could use less linedefs. You have each pillar consisting of 8 lines. 5 lines would already make for a nice looks, but 3 or 4 would be enough too.

Good catch, originally the outside area had a lot of problems but I fixed most of them by adding the cavern ceiling outcropping over the platform between the lava and the rest. You found an angle that still overflows, though. Hmm. I can try working with the columns, but I bet it's more the skybox than anything. Maybe I should just make the entire lava area an inside cavern?

I particularly like the skinny [I-cannot-say-maze] part with yellow skull inside. The occasional inclusion of comp/techy textures and decorations was an interesting touch - though it would better match Doom2's interpretation of hell and not Doom's Inferno. I'd personally add barons towards the end to directly guard the switches in the final room, and also I wouldn't clutter weapons as you did in the skinny part.

Yeah, I was definitely going for a tech/flesh theme, mainly based on the presence of computer textures and of course the SKINTEK2 hub in the original E3M8. Just decided to take it to an extreme. :) Glad you noticed.

I have no problem adding Barons to the switches, I was just being careful in enemy placement to try and keep it more 1993ish and didn't want to go overboard (or too close to the original E4M8). And yeah, I'll think about moving the weapons around - there are probably better spots for the chaingun/plasma gun (especially given how easy the plasma gun makes the spider battle - that's why there's also no BFG, though most continuous players will have one.)

Thanks for taking a look!

A 90's map that doesn't look like shit, now that's what I call mapping.

All credit to Shawn Green. :)

Yeah the map is pretty fun to play. You should have the teleporter in the outside area have monster blocking lines, I had a pinky go through it & it got stuck on the other end because that line blocks monsters. I also think it would be better to make the stairs at the start walk activated instead of switch activated. Other than that I don't really have any complaints.

Updated version of E3M8: http://speedy.sh/SNEPg/e4m8-as-e3-v0.4.wad

Changelog:

- Removed switch for stairs, made them activate on walking closer
- Added block monster lines to teleporters
- Turned columns in lava into 4-sided columns (doesn't completely fix the seglimit problem, but helps it - removing the skybox didn't seem to make a difference)
- Removed weapons from cacodemon area
- Added chaingun in towers in outdoor area
- Replaced blur sphere in secret with plasma rifle
- Added barons on HMP and UV next to switches that reveal Mastermind

Updated version of E2M4: http://speedy.sh/NYucr/e3m4-as-e2-v0.4.wad

Some of the changes below already existed in the version I had, but it seems the newest version hadn't made it in the release candidate, so I've noted those as well.
Changelog:

- Added DM and MP starts
- Aligned stone textures near first lift
- Fixed floor texture rule violation and added DOORTRAK to the computer map secret
- Unpegged the sides of the trap door in the blue computer area and added a texture to the back side to avoid a minor HOM
- Changed the texture of the blue and red key columns to be less Plutonia-ish
- Fixed alignment of the vine textures
- Fixed FTRV on the skull switches by double doors
- Fixed FTRV inside the double doors
- Changed yellow door to a normal door texture
- Darkened the marble area
- Added block monster lines to the teleporter

And, lastly, updated version of E4M2: http://speedy.sh/aPgRG/e3m2-as-e4-v2.2.wad

Traversd actually sent me a slightly modified version of the map, mainly adding some height differences to the lava section to re-create the steps of the original E3M2, and some other modifications (reworking the secret exit to remove the teleporter, adding more rocky crags to the thumb). I've worked off his version, so feel free to throw him a co-author credit. I did change the lighting on the lava back to the dim lighting (didn't like the fullbright he used) and added metal dams instead of using the firewall texture.

Changelog:

- Added height differences to the lava, including metal dams to break it up.
- Extra angles in the thumb to make it look more natural
- Teleport from the secret exit area removed (player can now run out of the lava)
- Fixed a FTRV in the secret exit area
- Fixed the normal exit door so the Baron couldn't close it after it opened, making the level impossible to beat

Woo, I think I'm done for now. Of course, let me know if you find any bugs.

Sorry, real life shit has been controlling my life the past week, so I haven't really been able to pay any attention to this project. Just from what it looks like though, we weren't really ready for release. Still need more bugtesting honestly. Would've been great to release on Doom's 20th but, eh. I'll put together the newest version of the wad sometime tomorrow,w hen I'm not exhausted.

Jaws In Space said:

I think that E2M9 would be better if the entire level was using E2 textures, not just the areas that open up. Warrens is one of the less liked maps due to it's similarity to Hell Keep so I think it would be a good idea to do changes to the entire map.

Nope. Not doing that. Retexturing Warrens would make it an even more pointless map than it already was.

Capellan said:

Nope. Not doing that. Retexturing Warrens would make it an even more pointless map than it already was.

But I liked the trickery that The Warrens did....

Anyways, hope to be playing this soon!

Capellan said:

How so?

The only notable thing about Warrens is waiting for the level to stop being Hell Keep all over again. If you change the textures in the opening section, you rob it of its one and only point of interest.

Well that's why I suggested the texture change, it would look different right from the start. Sure the layout would be the same, but at least you can enjoy the E2 texture scheme throughout the whole level.

Guys, I'll say it once again: if anyone feels like making my map (E1M5) multiplayer compatible, please do so! I really don't have experience doing so, besides I've had a lot of work lately.

Okay so I gave it a week Here is the wad with all of the maps now containing deathmatch & multiplayer starts.

Changes:
E1M5-added deathmatch things
E1M8-added deathmatch things
E2M2-added deathmatch things
E2M3-added deathmatch things & difficulty settings
E3M2-added deathmatch things & started working on difficulty settings
E3M3-added deathmatch things
E3M5-added deathmatch things
E4M5-added deathmatch things

What still needs to be done:

E1M2-WIP
E2M4-No difficulty settings
E2M9-WIP
E3M2-I'm working on difficulty settings
E4M2-No difficulty settings
E4M5-No difficulty settings
E4M8-No difficulty settings

I'll continue to work at adding difficulty settings to the rest of the maps & hopefully everything could be done by next weekend.

Jaws In Space said:

Okay so I gave it a week Here is the wad with all of the maps now containing deathmatch & multiplayer starts.

Changes:
E1M5-added deathmatch things
[...]

I love you, thanks!

Just a note that Jaws in Space's latest version doesn't include the fixed version of E2M4 I posted on 12/12.

I'm fine if you want to go through E2M4 and E4M2 and add some difficulty settings (probably just remove some monsters, they should be balanced for UV as-is) just run 'em by me before making them final.

Ugh. I just looked at Doomkid's latest e3-1m1 for the first time. I have no idea why people think it's an improvement. Not to mention the various ways it borks the current e3-2m9 design.

Re-working this is going to take more time than I expected. Time I probably won't have until January.

Capellan said:

Ugh. I just looked at Doomkid's latest e3-1m1 for the first time. I have no idea why people think it's an improvement. Not to mention the various ways it borks the current e3-2m9 design.

I kinda agree with you on this. Seems like a step sideways.

Magnusblitz said:

Just a note that Jaws in Space's latest version doesn't include the fixed version of E2M4 I posted on 12/12.

I didn't include it because Death Egg always comes by & provides his own link with all of the updates himself.

That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure Death Egg noted that and just didn't use the WAD you compiled, thinking it was complete. Thanks

Jaws In Space said:

E2M2-added deathmatch things

<3

Thanks a lot, Jaws In Space. My little sabbatical away from my main PC has lasted longer than I thought, and my laptop chugs just from looking at GIFs, so this is really, really appreciated.

Jaws In Space said:

I didn't include it because Death Egg always comes by & provides his own link with all of the updates himself.

Where would Doomworld be without its fabulously mustached space station?

Well I made an attempt at adding difficulty settings to the remaining levels. Here it is E2M4, E3M2, & E4M2 I consider to be finished, while E4M5, & E4M8 are only partly finished. I don't think I will be able to properly implement difficulty settings to those 2 maps because they are simply above my skill level.

The difficulty settings for E2M4 look good, but you were working off an old version of E4M2 (the one without the height differences in the lava section).

Magnusblitz said:

but you were working off an old version of E4M2 (the one without the height differences in the lava section).

Damn it.