Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

NightFright said:

This stuff is totally amazing, folks. Plutonia has never been more fun than with this new soundtrack!

I was wondering if something similar could be done for TNT. Since only a few tracks were used from the original Doom II soundtrack, not that many replacements would be needed, I guess. Unless the music TeamTNT provided could also be remade (at least one music lump was broken anyway IIRC).

Glad you enjoy it. :) I've kind of thought about that, but in all honesty I love the TNT soundtrack too much to think a whole replacement would be at all appropriate - would be more so to fill in the gaps. That said, I think there's a few TNT tracks that could be repeated, such as Open Season's, Prison's, Storage Facility's and Steel Works' (and maybe Pharaoh's), which only get used in one map each.

Maybe I'll throw a WAD quickly together to fill in those empty spots with the most fitting TNT tracks. :)

Jimmy said:

That said, I think there's a few TNT tracks that could be repeated, such as Open Season's, Prison's, Storage Facility's and Steel Works' (and maybe Pharaoh's), which only get used in one map each.

The reverse would be more interesting: replace the songs that aren't new, and the songs that are repeated.
TNT soundtrack
A Doom II-length soundtrack has 35 songs. In TNT, we have 16 original songs and seven reused Doom II songs. So we could get in 19 new songs to deduplicate the TNT soundtrack and remove reused songs from it.

Speaking of which... De-duplicating the original Ultimate Doom and Doom II would be cool, too. (And Heretic. We need more Schilderian music.)

Jimmy said:

Prison's, Storage Facility's

Prison was near enough decent until that stupid section at the end. Storage Facility is just a mess of a track IMO. Probably wouldn't be so bad if the guitar was quieter.

Gez said:

The reverse would be more interesting: replace the songs that aren't new, and the songs that are repeated.
[...] So we could get in 19 new songs to deduplicate the TNT soundtrack and remove reused songs from it.

That's actually exactly what I thought, too. The existing TNT tracks are absolutely fine, it's about the re-used Doom II music rather. It would also create a specific challenge that wasn't there with the Plutonia pack - you need to make it so that the new tracks blend in with the existing ones.

Gez said:

Speaking of which... De-duplicating the original Ultimate Doom and Doom II would be cool, too. (And Heretic. We need more Schilderian music.)

A very interesting idea. There are quite a lot of PWADs out there which use the standard Doom/Doom II soundtrack, and it's slowly coming out of one's ear.
Ofc there are many music replacements out there, but none are really sounding "official". It would be great to have real replacements that still fit the levels and sound awesome. A really cool thing to have for the recently released D2TWID, for example (provided they don't want to come up with a custom soundtrack after all).

And Heretic... hey, why not.

I think UDoom and Doom2 is a bridge too far, but remastering TNT and filling in the extra levels sounds interesting.

Bizarre request here, but is there any chance of seeing a hi-quality pack of .ogg files of this?

I recently went through TNT: Evilition via Risen 3D with those made by Lorcán and it was a great experience. One I'd definitely love to do with this music pack, but Risen 3D doesn't seem to like midi on my computer (random crashes when starting a level sometimes - reverting to high-quality audio completely stopped this from happening).

I did it for Plutonia 2 already, so no problem for this one. Same stuff, run through AIMP audio converter with Arachno soundfont.

Plutonia Music Pack (MIDI-to-OGG, 128 kbps, 75.3 MB)

[Bayfiles mirror]

This is ready to use with ZDoom (in "music" folder). I don't know if Risen uses the same directory, so maybe you will have to change it a bit, but in general, it should work (file names are the same as in the wad).

-------------------------------------

BTW, here is also the pack for Plutonia Revisited. This completes the Plutonia series (Plutonia 2 I made here)

Plutonia Revisited Music Pack (MIDI-to-OGG, 128 kbps, 94 MB)

[Bayfiles mirror]

^ How do I get that running in GZDoom? I'm used to dragging files on top of things.

Anyway, its about time I actually gave this a listen. Im utter crap at anything involving wads, and the TNT soundtrack is starting to grate on me during the longass Devilution map testing. I cant add in all the submitted midis, so I might as well listen to this for a change of pace.

Also, I love the idea of a TNT version of this project, although at he same time, I barely remember any of the exclusive one-level tracks, with the exceptions of Open Season and Map 20's theme, Horizon, due to their atmosphere. I'd have trouble remembering most of them if they were all one level only!

This should work directly with ZDoom (and any ports related to it). Load it along with the PWAD. It's getting easier if you use ZDL, btw. :P

And to return to the topic somewhat:
I vote for attempting to fill in missing TNT tracks, remove duplicates and keep the rest. While Doom and Doom II also use a lot of duplicates, the music is considered "holy" and shouldn't be touched. Unless Bobby Prince pops up out of nowhere and delivers it all by himself. :P

Downloading this now, I'm interested to hear how this sounds.

Ragnor said:

City of Desperation

EDIT: Well, not bad. The basses and pianos are excellent. The overdriven/distorted guitars...not so much.

So far I've loved everything I've heard. I did laugh a bit at map 3's theme, sounded too much like Final Fantasy 7 music, but I still enjoyed it. And yes Eris, your tracks are both really good :p Blood Rush was all "Holy shit, this is AWESOME", although it does sound a bit familiar. Was it inspired by anything? It goes on for ages too, I had no idea when or if it ever looped.

Was having great fun combining this with Soundblock's updated CABAL maps last night.

Thank you :) Blood Rush was DragonForce inspired. Though I'm surprised it wasn't CoD that you recognised, since I used the first version of it as D_INTER for ragnor13.wad

Thought it was Dragonforce. I didnt recognise CoD (Thought you meant that shit game series for a second lolol), but I quite liked that one as well. My brother likes Blood Rush as well.

I think this will be my go-to midi pack when playing a wad without any custom music.

Well, I just finished a full Plutonia playthrough with this soundtrack, played back through a Roland SC-55, and what can I say? Every track fits the level pretty well. The maps gain a lot of additional "personality" with this pack, so I can only urgently recommend everyone to play or replay Plutonia while using this, it's definitely worth it.

Even though I'm not huge fan of Plutonia I will download this music pack and see how it is, it might give me a reason to play Plutonia again.

Gez said:

TNT soundtrack
A Doom II-length soundtrack has 35 songs. In TNT, we have 16 original songs and seven reused Doom II songs. So we could get in 19 new songs to deduplicate the TNT soundtrack and remove reused songs from it.

a bit of a bump, mayhaps, but i just want to say i'd be all down to contribute tracks to a TNT soundtrack completion project.

As long as they fit in with the existing tracks, some midis I hear these days sound more like MP3s, tis glorious.

Also, WHERE WAS THIS TNT MUSIC ENTHUSIASM WHEN TNT2 NEEDED MIDIS!?

WHERE WAS THIS TNT MUSIC ENTHUSIASM WHEN TNT2 NEEDED MIDIS!

Bucket. That is all.

EDIT, regarding below: I also submitted two, which never made it.
Fortunately I did get a special request for a track, and that should go through. Hopefully.

in my defense, i was pretty damn sure i posted some of my MIDIs in that thread when it said MIDIs was needed, but there were no replies to it when i did, so...

Regarding the TNT soundtrack, I agree that it would be a fun endeavor to create new tracks for the maps that use the same original tracks again or the ones from Doom II.

But, what about the Master Levels? Those could certainly use some original tracks of their own, as if each map's creator had composed one themselves. Using Blzut3's Master Levels merger, creating a WAD soundtrack to go along with it wouldn't be a problem I assume.

Just an idea I'm throwing here is all. ;)

Doomhuntress said:

in my defense, i was pretty damn sure i posted some of my MIDIs in that thread when it said MIDIs was needed, but there were no replies to it when i did, so...

Would you mind reposting those? I might want to try reworking them, if that's all right.

I'm playing through plutonia the first time (yeah, shame on me) and having a blast with the new music, awesome job guys. I'm using a soundfont by "Patch93" which does a pretty good job imitating the roland sound canvas 55. if someone wants to hear how it sounds on the plutonia tracks, I converted them with the mentioned soundfont as mp3s (lame 3.99.5, -V0 -Y):
Plutonia MIDI Pack [Patch93s SC-55 v1.9].7z

I'd have guessed it was Jimmy, especially after Jenesis' midi versions of Pendulum tracks (which I enjoyed). Good show, then. It does suit the level surprisingly well -- I skipped ahead to some of my favourite maps to see how they sounded, although I'm at MAP13 right now and my gods some of this stuff suits so well it's as if the maps were made for this music. :D

my only regret with this pack is that my contribution blows in comparison to everything else. otherwise it's a stellar pack.

Bucket said:

Would you mind reposting those? I might want to try reworking them, if that's all right.

how many ones are needed? i can think of at least one MIDI i could spare for the project, but if more are needed i could round up a few more.

Doomhuntress said:

my only regret with this pack is that my contribution blows in comparison to everything else. otherwise it's a stellar pack.

I don't know if you are fishing for complements but your track is a proper headbanger. All those drums add to the fun of running around like a lunatic trying not to fall down into the blood again.