Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

Collection of Doom 20th news

Clonehunter said:

Damn, I really dig that art. They'd all make great titlepics for one!

Yah, i noticed this too. Maybe low sales, or maybe an update. Granted, Wolf2k9 has been missing for some time now too, though a defunct link to the trailer still exists.

Games aren't pulled from steam for low sales OR updates... they might be adding new games to the collection or something similar.
Or maybe id's making their own DRM, who knows :P

There is a time to be quiet and there is a time to be loud. Had they started Doom4 in 2007 and completed it by 2011 or whatever, they could have waited until the last 3-4 months before making any reveals etc. I do feel though that at their current state coming off of the kotaku article, key people leaving - it's time to speak up and make themselves noticed.

Today is a perfect oppotunity for this. #Doom is on fire. Too bad we most likely won't see anything beyond the nice t-shirt and a couple of @Doom tweets :)

Bucket said:

If you're into Let's Plays, EuroGamer is playing the game live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_FOM4xLqc

This is over now.

Ian was very humble about his lack of Doom skills, but I think he acquitted himself honorably. Played for an hour and is currently trying to organise some multiplayer with folk who were commenting on the stream.

I don't know if everyone can see it, but John Romero has posted an interesting album of Doom-related pictures on Facebook. It includes photos of the monster models, concept sketches and photos taken during development.

Album is here (YMMV)

fraggle said:

I don't know if everyone can see it, but John Romero has posted an interesting album of Doom-related pictures on Facebook. It includes photos of the monster models, concept sketches and photos taken during development.

Album is here (YMMV)

Now that's celebrating! Also, nice to see the sketch of that wall texture with the Vile. I forget, was that texture in Doom before Doom II? In which case, how early was the Vile designed?

Two things:

1. Doom 3 BFG is back on Steam so no changes to this one.

2. John Romero added some new pics to his Facebook profile i.e. a group picture of the original Doom dev team... damn those guys were prodigies! So young and still managed to revolutionize the gaming scene.

EDIT:

Romero keeps adding stuff. He linked to yet another article:

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/classic-computer-game-doom-made-in-mesquite-is-20-years-old-today.html/

Watched the 90 minute IGN vid playing E1 with John Romero. Some good stuff in there. Interesting to hear that he'd like to make another Doom level but worries we'd find it disappointing because we've pushed the engine so far in the last 20 years.

durian said:

This is tremendous! What a treat.

Check this out as well. It's a video uploaded by John Romero. Apparently they had a party celebrating 20 years of Doom. The video features mostly brutal Doom, but every once in a while a trivia question concerning Doom appears. Also, at 40 minute mark some old footage appears showing such stuff as the original box art of Doom 2, etc. Enjoy:

http://vimeo.com/81533772

DooMAD said:

Watched the 90 minute IGN vid playing E1 with John Romero. Some good stuff in there. Interesting to hear that he'd like to make another Doom level but worries we'd find it disappointing because we've pushed the engine so far in the last 20 years.

Yeah, the video was great but it's a shame he feels that way. I don't think anyone would really care if it's visually inferior to what's being put out today. I personally love the simpler aesthetics of the IWAD maps, his Doom 2 stuff particularly, and it's the level design that really matters. Come on John, do it!

I don't think anything John Romero makes is inferior compared to custom content Doomers have made really, I very much enjoy his maps but I fear he may have gotten a bit rusty over the years.